Texas SOT

2013 HB 1862 - Legalizing Switchblade Knives.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Well, that sure puts a damper on my Good Times. The 2d edge is not very long, but after looking at it , it does have two edges.
    Guess I' ll just stay with the Strider SMF like I have for several years now. Bummer.

Glad you saw that, was going to PM you later if you had not responded................

Been seeing a lot of illegal knives for sale lately. Walmart in Deer Park sells a Gerber push dagger with a cord designed to be worn around the neck. Wonder how many folks think it must be ok to carry that way if wally world sells it?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Glad you saw that, was going to PM you later if you had not responded................

Been seeing a lot of illegal knives for sale lately. Walmart in Deer Park sells a Gerber push dagger with a cord designed to be worn around the neck. Wonder how many folks think it must be ok to carry that way if wally world sells it?

There are several exceptions that allow carry of "illegal" knives and they can be owned. You can travel with an "illegal" knife. Hunt, fish etc.

No problem purchasing an "illegal" knife, and having it at home, even carrying it in certain situations. Just purchase with the knowledge that it's not always lawful to carry it around on your person.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    There are several exceptions that allow carry of "illegal" knives and they can be owned. You can travel with an "illegal" knife. Hunt, fish etc.

No problem purchasing an "illegal" knife, and having it at home, even carrying it in certain situations. Just purchase with the knowledge that it's not always lawful to carry it around on your person.

I think most on here are aware of that, probably not as much in the general population. However I checked and it does not come with a multi-page document listing the nuances of the obscure and often misunderstood details (you of all should know that;)) of the legal system specific to their jurisdiction to inform them. Not saying it's the sellers responsibility, but I can see how it probably gets overlooked by a lot of buyers who assume they are pretty much unrestricted with it's carry and can do what they want with it, or the retailer could/would not sell it.

(Did notice that this WalMart does have ARs back in stock.)

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Some Protech Godfathers came in stock and I broke down and got one.

Wow. This is an impressive knife. BIG. Much bigger than I thought. And still very light, and thin. Very nice feel. Fortunately the blade is so much wider than the Don that it has a very usable edge, even with the wedge shape. This one also has a single edge, though it looks like a dagger. The spring is VERY STRONG. When it opens it snaps into place really fast, and forcefully. Again totally rock solid, the button press is smooth as butter. This is a big scary looking knife. If you use it in public, you'll probably scare people and get the cops called on you. Highly recommended to scratch your stiletto itch. This one does the trick. I got the black maple burl with stainless blade. Not a small letter opener like the Don. This one has lot's of usable edge, though it's obviously not a work knife. Baddest ass switchblade I've ever seen.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Word to the wise about protech knives with natural wood scales. DON'T GET THEM WET. I set mine down next to a glass of ice water that sweated on my nightstand, and predictably, the wood soaked in some of the water and got a little lumpy. It didn't warp or crack (I probably caught it before something worse happened). Good news is that it dried out and went back to about 95% the way it used to be, but it's not perfectly smooth like it was from the factory, you can feel (not see) tiny little raised areas around the burls. That might fix itself if it dries out some more. The point is, if you plan to use the knife and may get it wet, get G10, carbon fiber, or aluminum, not decorative burlwood.

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Sorry noob question.

Since this bill was passed but NOT preemption, does that mean local city law enforcement can still bust you for carrying a switchblade after sept.1 if the city laws still say its illegal? Im in houston. (Basically asking if city law still trumps state)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Sorry noob question.

Since this bill was passed but NOT preemption, does that mean local city law enforcement can still bust you for carrying a switchblade after sept.1 if the city laws still say its illegal? Im in houston. (Basically asking if city law still trumps state)

City laws don't trump state laws, nor the other way around. There are laws of different jurisdictions and enforced in different courts.

Laws tell us what is not allowed, generally. Texas does not allow the carry of switchblades right now. As of Sept 1, that law goes away. However, the law does not say you CAN carry a switchblade, it just does not prohibit it after that. If a city has an ordinance banning the carry of a switchblade in that city, then it would be enforced in that city by the city court; a class C misdemeanor.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    So, in essence, you could be going from doing something not illegal (legally carrying a switchblade) to doing something illegal by crossing a city or county line? Is there a place that lists the city and county restrictions somewhere?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So, in essence, you could be going from doing something not illegal (legally carrying a switchblade) to doing something illegal by crossing a city or county line? Is there a place that lists the city and county restrictions somewhere?

That is entirely possible. And I am not aware of a resource for a list of knife laws in different towns. I bet there is, though.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

That is entirely possible. And I am not aware of a resource for a list of knife laws in different towns. I bet there is, though.

I would like to see this list if it exists since this sounds like there is going to be a ton of problems ahead.

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    City laws don't trump state laws, nor the other way around. There are laws of different jurisdictions and enforced in different courts.

Laws tell us what is not allowed, generally. Texas does not allow the carry of switchblades right now. As of Sept 1, that law goes away. However, the law does not say you CAN carry a switchblade, it just does not prohibit it after that. If a city has an ordinance banning the carry of a switchblade in that city, then it would be enforced in that city by the city court; a class C misdemeanor.

If thats the case, do you think people are celebrating prematurely? If every Texas city still has a law prohibiting carrying these switchblades than how is this a victory [at least this year]? Wouldnt i have to wait til houston lifts the ban too?

Btw-asking cause i bought a smith wesson spring assisted knife recently, which is another gray area: since it has a button to spring out the blade, is it considered a switchblade?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Ok, some of these statements have me confused.

We have have a number of threads on here about how the San Antonio (and I think some Corpus law also) lock blade knife law is unenforceable due to the state saying it's ok. IIRC

Now how would this apply differently?

Top Bottom