• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I think if he's going to own one pistol can, he can do 45. I don't think 9mm through a 45 can is that bad. Jared is right, if you shoot mainly 9mm and plan to primarily just suppress that round, then a dedicated can makes more sense.

And Chuck gave about 90% of the answer as to why I dislike the piston design. I also think you have to be engineer to get it apart and back together. I must warn, I'm probably the worlds dumbest person when it comes to stuff like that. It was just frustrating to me since the original company I bought the can from, sent the wrong piston. I had to shell out additional money, not to mention I could not use the can, until I purchased the correct piston. I do think the idea of wanting to mate the can to different hosts is a valuable one, but most manufacturers and after market barrel companies are starting to use common (I don't want to say standard) thread pitches for 9mm like 1/2x28. Only few exceptions I can think of are companies like Sig with the left hand thread bullshit.
    Lynx Defense

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Sounds like AKs and M1As are harder to suppress than those freaking ARs.

Yes they are. Another thing is that the threads on the barrels of a lot of AKs are not concentric to the bore.

If you really want to have some fun, get a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 threaded and throw that 7.62 can on it.

P.S. Go with the Octane. ;)

Techna

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Magnolia, Texas
    I have a Huntertown Arms Guardian 9, and while I wouldn't recommend Huntertown because of their reported poor customer service, I'm really very happy with the can's performance itself. I've shot it next to two different Octane 9 suppressors and it everybody agreed that they seemed the same as level of suppression goes. Now even though I'm happy with the can, I wish I'd popped the extra dough for the Octane. Besides living in fear of HTA's customer service dept, I find I'd rather have stainless baffels. It's not a failure of the Guardian 9 (I knew what the construction was when I bought it) as much as the fact that my expected use has changed. When shooting 9mm, I do only shoot jacketed through it, but I've found that it also makes a quite nice secondary 22 suppressor. I have four 22 hosts, so having another gun ready to go for a friend is great. It's quiet enough on the 22 rifle, SBR and the pistols, that I'm just as happy to use it as my Spectre II most of the time. Also, I shoot way more suppressed 22 than 9mm. The aluminum baffels in the TiRant are the only thing that's kept me from buying one at Silencer Shop's awesome price.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the help on this.

I'm pretty well versed (and opinionated) on guns, but learning about suppressors.

Are AAC and SilencerCo the leaders in the industry? YHM I see is popular as well. Surefire, but those seem pricey.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    GemTech has probably sold more and for a longer time than both of the combined. However IME there 45 centerfire pistol cans are weak.
    Interesting. Thanks for the perspective. Ill probably finish studying up this weekend then do something next week.

Right now im studying the Octane 45. Could use if from 300 blackout subsonic to 45/40/9 to 22LR. I didn't even think of that until tonight...using one can on a carbine in 300 blackout (yes this AR hater has found a purpose for them afterall...needs to be a piston gun though), pistols and a 22 rifle. Of course I understand more dedicated cans are ideal.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    AAC and Silencerco (who also owns SWR) are the industry leaders for pistol cans. SureFire doesn't make a pistol can, they just added a rimfire can. For semi auto rifles, I'd go SureFire or AAC personally. I am hearing crazy stories coming out of AAC recently. But frankly, it seems there's a lot of turnover in the NFA industry. Kevin B was forced out of AAC, now I hear he is working on Sig's new line of Suppressors. Mike Pappas is no longer with Silencerco. I'm sure the list goes on.

As pricey as SureFire products are, they are probably the company best built for longevity. Between their civilian, Leo, .gov, and .mil sales, I don't see them going anywhere. Especially considering they are diversified into flashlights, etc. These other silencer companies sell mainly one product (and the accessories for that product) to a largely civilian market (less government contracts). If you ever had to service a can 10-15 years down the road, I'd guarantee you Vegas would give the best odds to SureFire being the most likely company to still be open. I say that because I honestly wonder how some of these companies plan to survive if the new ATF regulations go into place requiring CLEO signatures for NFA trusts. I anticipate there would be a fairly healthy drop in the volume of silencers being purchased. God forbid there ever be a Sandy Hook with an NFA item used. Once again I ask... If the civilian silencer market is shut down tomorrow, which company has the best chance of surviving? Does that answer make you feel any differently about paying a few hundred extra dollars for a can that's widely considered one of the best money can buy? Am I too paranoid? Maybe.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'd guarantee you Vegas would give the best odds to SureFire being the most likely company to still be open. I say that because I honestly wonder how some of these companies plan to survive if the new ATF regulations go into place requiring CLEO signatures for NFA trusts. I anticipate there would be a fairly healthy drop in the volume of silencers being purchased. God forbid there ever be a Sandy Hook with an NFA item used. Once again I ask... If the civilian silencer market is shut down tomorrow, which company has the best chance of surviving?

Funny I would have said Surefire would be one of the first to go. They have had disdain for civilians since day 1. They are only selling to civilians now to offset lack of military funding. Add in 41P and I would think they would get out of market and go back to flashlights only.

I would bet for KAC, Gemtech to be around the longest, as they already are around the longest. Also a lot of smaller makers will be around for awhile too, as longer as the Sole Proprietor is around. This is why getting a can that comes apart is essential. Joe Gaddini is long gone from SWR, and SWR is long gone itself, but I had no problem getting my Warlock re-baffled by John Titsworth since I had made it a takedown.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    All fair points. I forgot about KAC, but I would agree they would probably be the most likely. It doesn't seem like their cans are as accessible as most other brands though.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Minus the cool factor. What does the Osprey do for me? I am not impressed by the sight picture the low profile gives. I tried it on a Sig and an M&P with suppressor sights and it wasn't great. It does appear to be slightly quieter than the Octane.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    9mm thru a 45 is still pretty frigging loud, like unsuppressed subsonic 22lr loud. If really quiet is what you are looking for, its best to get a dedicated can. If they still have that deal on the tirant 9mm, I would jump on it. Scott has one, its a great can.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Have you actually shot 9 through a 45 can? It is not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. Hell silencershop even did a video about it a while back and it was a couple dB. Hardly worth marrying yourself to one smaller bore diameter. 9mm is loud period unless you're shooting 147s and at that point you might as well be shooting 45 with a 230gr because it's the same price. Plus you can shoot 9x25 and 10mm through the 45.

If you want to come all the way down to lonestar you're more than welcome to try my octane 45hd. It's wicked with a little wire pulling gel but it's honestly my least used can. Pistols get awkward with the weight of a can hanging off the end. It's more of a novelty to me. My rifle cans get far more use.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Those are all good points. I happen to know Jared has shot my 45 Osprey on several different 9mm platforms. He has younger ears than me, but I can still notice a slight reduction when using a 9mm can on 9mm pistol.

You bring up another point worth thinking about. 45 cans are going to be a bit longer and slightly more heavy than 9mm cans. I tend to agree that my 45 can is about as heavy I'd ever want attached to the end of my pistol. My 9mm can feels more "sleek" if you will.

I also agree with 1slow that you will probably appreciate suppression more in rifle platforms. And I'll add to that even more. I personally think a .22 can is the best place to start in the NFA game. I enjoy shooting my rimfire cans more than everything else. When I'm at the range with all my cans, that's usually the can most of the first time suppressor shooters love to play with.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm not looking at them primarily for range fun. Im looking at them for home defense as im moving away from the shotgun for that role.

No im not getting the Salvo.
    Regarding the cost of 147 grains other than testing it for function I wont be shooting lots of them.

Thanks for the info 1slow.

Last edited:

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Have you actually shot 9 through a 45 can? It is not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. Hell silencershop even did a video about it a while back and it was a couple dB. Hardly worth marrying yourself to one smaller bore diameter. 9mm is loud period unless you're shooting 147s and at that point you might as well be shooting 45 with a 230gr because it's the same price. Plus you can shoot 9x25 and 10mm through the 45.

If you want to come all the way down to lonestar you're more than welcome to try my octane 45hd. It's wicked with a little wire pulling gel but it's honestly my least used can. Pistols get awkward with the weight of a can hanging off the end. It's more of a novelty to me. My rifle cans get far more use.
    I wouldn't say something unless I have first hand experience with it, I don't run off at the mouth like a lot of members here.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Those are all good points. I happen to know Jared has shot my 45 Osprey on several different 9mm platforms. He has younger ears than me, but I can still notice a slight reduction when using a 9mm can on 9mm pistol.

You bring up another point worth thinking about. 45 cans are going to be a bit longer and slightly more heavy than 9mm cans. I tend to agree that my 45 can is about as heavy I'd ever want attached to the end of my pistol. My 9mm can feels more "sleek" if you will.

I also agree with 1slow that you will probably appreciate suppression more in rifle platforms. And I'll add to that even more. I personally think a .22 can is the best place to start in the NFA game. I enjoy shooting my rimfire cans more than everything else. When I'm at the range with all my cans, that's usually the can most of the first time suppressor shooters love to play with.
    Yep if I had it to do over again Id buy a Spectre II, Griffin Armament Revolution 45 and a Saker 7.62 if I was going bare minimum cans to cover everything but none of those cans were out when I got into NFA stuff. Theres about 2oz difference between the same cans just in 9 or 45. I guess Im just not that sensitive to that little bit of weight. Where I can tell the difference is in length using the new griffin revolution cans going from the long to short configuration it makes a noticeable difference.
    I'm not looking at them primarily for range fun. Im looking at them for home defense as im moving away from the shotgun for that role.

No im not getting the Salvo.
    Regarding the cost of 147 grains other than testing it for function I wont be shooting lots of them.

Thanks for the info 1slow.
    For that use Id look into this can
    Griffin Armament Revolution 45 - For Sale
    In the K configuration its still very quiet but youre losing a lot of the length that to me is a hindrance when trying to swing the pistol. In the long configuration its every bit as quiet as my octane 45hd. It would be the pistol can Id buy today if I didn't already have an octane that does nothing but sit in my safe except for when I want to pistol hunt.

My comment about price on 147s is so many people talk about 9mm being cheaper to shoot so that's why they went with a 9mm can but 115gr 9mm is loud and the can makes the pistol awkward so I just don't see the point. With the cost of 147gr 9mm you can shoot 230gr 45 which is naturally subsonic and packs almost 100% more energy.

Like I said if you want to try before you buy youre more than welcome to come down to Lonestar and try mine out. Youll need a 9mm with a thread barrel though as my pistol host is a 45. I do have the 1/2x28 piston though.

Ive been really impressed with the Revolution cans. Silencer shop put over 10K through one on a full auto MP5 a few weeks ago and the baffles still look brand new with the TiN coating. I forgot to get a video of me doing the full mag dump but it was amazingly quiet for 115gr loads and in the K configuration. Its what got me to thinking about getting one for a bedside gun on maybe a full size M&P 9mm.

I look forward to seeing and hearing a Salvo one day.
    The salvo wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be on the end of the gun. Its not something Id want on the end of my bird gun but wouldn't be too bad on an SBS. The video makes it sound loud until you realize the hulls hitting the plastic table are as loud as the muzzle report. Its was very quiet for sure and the recoil was greatly reduced. I wont be dropping a grand on one though. If I was an avid turkey hunter maybe.

I wouldn't say something unless I have first hand experience with it, I don't run off at the mouth like a lot of members here.
    Just seemed like you were greatly over-exaggerating is all. Theres 2db difference between 9 through 9 and 9 through 45. Hardly as bad as you made it out in your post. Videos are terrible for showing what guns sound like in real life, as shown in the above video.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yep if I had it to do over again Id buy a Spectre II, Griffin Armament Revolution 45 and a Saker 7.62 if I was going bare minimum cans to cover everything but none of those cans were out when I got into NFA stuff. Theres about 2oz difference between the same cans just in 9 or 45. I guess Im just not that sensitive to that little bit of weight. Where I can tell the difference is in length using the new griffin revolution cans going from the long to short configuration it makes a noticeable difference.

For that use Id look into this can
    Griffin Armament Revolution 45 - For Sale
    In the K configuration its still very quiet but youre losing a lot of the length that to me is a hindrance when trying to swing the pistol. In the long configuration its every bit as quiet as my octane 45hd. It would be the pistol can Id buy today if I didn't already have an octane that does nothing but sit in my safe except for when I want to pistol hunt.

My comment about price on 147s is so many people talk about 9mm being cheaper to shoot so that's why they went with a 9mm can but 115gr 9mm is loud and the can makes the pistol awkward so I just don't see the point. With the cost of 147gr 9mm you can shoot 230gr 45 which is naturally subsonic and packs almost 100% more energy.

Like I said if you want to try before you buy youre more than welcome to come down to Lonestar and try mine out. Youll need a 9mm with a thread barrel though as my pistol host is a 45. I do have the 1/2x28 piston though.

Ive been really impressed with the Revolution cans. Silencer shop put over 10K through one on a full auto MP5 a few weeks ago and the baffles still look brand new with the TiN coating. I forgot to get a video of me doing the full mag dump but it was amazingly quiet for 115gr loads and in the K configuration. Its what got me to thinking about getting one for a bedside gun on maybe a full size M&P 9mm.

The salvo wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be on the end of the gun. Its not something Id want on the end of my bird gun but wouldn't be too bad on an SBS. The video makes it sound loud until you realize the hulls hitting the plastic table are as loud as the muzzle report. Its was very quiet for sure and the recoil was greatly reduced. I wont be dropping a grand on one though. If I was an avid turkey hunter maybe.

Just seemed like you were greatly over-exaggerating is all. Theres 2db difference between 9 through 9 and 9 through 45. Hardly as bad as you made it out in your post. Videos are terrible for showing what guns sound like in real life, as shown in the above video.

Ill check out that Griffin can. Thanks.

So 115 gr through a 45 can are relatively loud?

How about 115 through a 9mm can

Ill try to look up the numbers but sounds like many of you have real world experience with these things.

Top Bottom