• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I'm thinking about getting one of those Griffin 9mm cans.
    I should have mine in about 6 weeks. Youre welcome to try it when I get it. Ive already shot it a while back and it was very impressive.
    If you get the correct suppressor you can use it on both. I have no experience with the Griffin can but my Silencerco Osprey 45 can be used in my 45, 10mm, 357 mag and 9mm by just changing out the piston.

Plus I don't have to have the tall suppressor sights with it.
    What pistol are you shooting your osprey on? Factory glock, M&P and XD sights dont clear the can and the osprey is a bad choice for HD. The can shadows the light really bad due to how low it hangs. Not being user serviceable is a killer too.
    Lynx Defense

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I should have mine in about 6 weeks. Youre welcome to try it when I get it. Ive already shot it a while back and it was very impressive.

What pistol are you shooting your osprey on? Factory glock, M&P and XD sights dont clear the can and the osprey is a bad choice for HD. The can shadows the light really bad due to how low it hangs. Not being user serviceable is a killer too.
    I was at first enamored with the Osprey due to this.
    aa5ae23a6e050e253a04c0a3626df69f.jpg

I tried it on multiple guns but never got a clean sight picture.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

I was wondering the same.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I was at first enamored with the Osprey due to this.
    aa5ae23a6e050e253a04c0a3626df69f.jpg

I tried it on multiple guns but never got a clean sight picture.

Yup, its a sexy can and if they ever come back out with the anodized FDE finish again Ill buy one but theyre a novelty compaired to whats available today. They block way too much light for a pistol mounted weapons light for HD, cant be cleaned, and still require taller sights but hey it does look cool :D

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas

The only one I have issues with is the M&P. I shoot it primarily on 1911s.

I don't worry about serviceability on center fire cans either.

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    If you shoot a lot of lead or wet you should. The latch also sucks on the osprey and it isnt rated for the high horsepower pistol cartridges either. Its a cool can but is outdated and lacking key features of the newer cans. It also doesnt clear sights like you said nor is it rated for 357 mag. Its important when making recommendations to either completely qualify your statement or not embellish.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Is my octane 9 hd 357 mag rated?

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Yours is the HD2 so yes. We shot 9x25 dillon(essentially 357 mag but for autoloaders) out of 6" lone wolf glock conversion a couple weeks ago. Still loud as hell but didnt need double ear pro.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    If you shoot a lot of lead or wet you should. The latch also sucks on the osprey and it isnt rated for the high horsepower pistol cartridges either. Its a cool can but is outdated and lacking key features of the newer cans. It also doesnt clear sights like you said nor is it rated for 357 mag. Its important when making recommendations to either completely qualify your statement or not embellish.

You should re-read what I said.

Serviceability is a non factor for ME. The can clears the sights on MY primary guns that I shoot it on. See a pattern here?

As to your "high horsepower" pistol round comment, I have an email in writing that my Osprey 45 is rated to shoot full power 10mm handgun loads. And it is rated to shoot 357 loads as long as they are on a rifle barrel at least 16" long. Unless you are suppressing a 357 mag revolver (which might be kinda cool) I can't see where that's an issue worth discussing. Is suppose 357 Sig might be an issue though.

So everything stated in my post is accurate.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    You should re-read what I said.

Serviceability is a non factor for ME. The can clears the sights on MY primary guns that I shoot it on. See a pattern here?

As to your "high horsepower" pistol round comment, I have an email in writing that my Osprey 45 is rated to shoot full power 10mm handgun loads. And it is rated to shoot 357 loads as long as they are on a rifle barrel at least 16" long. Unless you are suppressing a 357 mag revolver (which might be kinda cool) I can't see where that's an issue worth discussing. Is suppose 357 Sig might be an issue though.

So everything stated in my post is accurate.

I read your post and its exactly why I said you need to completely qualify your statement or not embellish. To a newbie they might think they can run 357 mag though their osprey and itll clear the sights of a pistol. When in fact its only good on 16" barrels and only clears some 1911 sights due to the lower bore axis.

10mm isnt that high powered of a round compared to 9x25, 357 and 44 mag. Theres actually quite a few people who shoot contender and lever gun SBRs in 357 mag so again tell the whole story so you dont get people hurt.

357 sig has less muzzle pressure than 10mm so if its rated for 10mm its rated for 357 sig and you dont suppress a revolver unless you like getting burning powder blown all over you. The backpressure of the can makes the gas blow out between the cylinder and forcing cone.

FWIW the revolution cans are rated for 4" 9x25 so it can take pretty much any pistol round you can fit through it except for 44 mag.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I read your post and its exactly why I said you need to completely qualify your statement or not embellish. To a newbie they might think they can run 357 mag though their osprey and itll clear the sights of a pistol. When in fact its only good on 16" barrels and only clears some 1911 sights due to the lower bore axis.

10mm isnt that high powered of a round compared to 9x25, 357 and 44 mag. Theres actually quite a few people who shoot contender and lever gun SBRs in 357 mag so again tell the whole story so you dont get people hurt.

357 sig has less muzzle pressure than 10mm so if its rated for 10mm its rated for 357 sig and you dont suppress a revolver unless you like getting burning powder blown all over you. The backpressure of the can makes the gas blow out between the cylinder and forcing cone.

FWIW the revolution cans are rated for 4" 9x25 so it can take pretty much any pistol round you can fit through it except for 44 mag.

Fair enough. I was not intentionally misleading anyone.

I was just stating what has worked for me in my applications.

I can see where someone could
    misconstrue that they could run the osprey on a 357 mag. Pistol length barrel. I clarified that in my second post.

Anyone who owns a can should do exactly as I did and call the manufacturer of the can if they are unsure if it's safe to use on a particular application or not.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Everything (says MrGunsnGear) you need to know about silencers [suppressor]. Channel provides several reasons why using a suppressor is good for one's ears and neighbors, decibels, how they work, state/federal regs, etc.

Top Bottom