• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I ran semi-autos on ducks and dove for years. Winchester Super X Model 1 and Remington 1100's. Then there was a stretch were I couldn't get any of them to run right.

I finally said F*** it, and bought a Bennelli Nova Pump for $300. One of the best purchases I have made. Inexpensive, runs flawlessly, and is easily maintained.

My 2 cents.

Sent from an undisclosed location.
    Guns International

cdurbin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Ive been considering the FN SLP and Benelli M4. I think whatever I get ill just expect it to not run light loads so I dont go bananas after I ditched 2 Mossberg 930s for not running right.

Honestly the issue isnt light loads. Mine will run LIGHT Federal all day. However anything Winchester and light it will FTE and force me to run it like a pump. Every once in awhile itll stove pipe using this stuff.

Ive ran Rio, Fiocchi (buckshot, game, both reduced recoil and high velocity slugs) Federal (everything), Remington, Estate and cheap Spartan buckshot with maybe 3 or 4 malfunctions per 300rnds.

The issue has always been cheap cheap Winchester.

If anyone wants, I should have a video of me running different brands of light loads to include Fiocchi reduced recoil slugd with no issues. Then I switch to the walmart special and you see how quickly it acts up.

Corey

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

cdurbin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    I ran semi-autos on ducks and dove for years. Winchester Super X Model 1 and Remington 1100's. Then there was a stretch were I couldn't get any of them to run right.

I finally said F*** it, and bought a Bennelli Nova Pump for $300. One of the best purchases I have made. Inexpensive, runs flawlessly, and is easily maintained.

My 2 cents.

The 1100s are great guns. Kind of surprised you ran into such issues.
    The Novas are great shotguns as well.

Corey

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    The 1100s are great guns. Kind of surprised you ran into such issues.
    The Novas are great shotguns as well.

Corey

I know 1100's are good. I think it was an age issue. They were purchased in the 70's by my pops and found their way into my hands. I don't recall him or I ever changing the gaskets, which I know could be the problem. Maybe that will be one of my next projects.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Get what fits you

^^ This ^^

Several have floated through my safe.
    The wife and I shoot clays a lot and I've got a dove lease south of San Antonio.

I've settled on a Beretta 390 in 26"
    I also have a Browning A5 Light in 26" as a back up. Just can't bring myself to part with it.
    I have a 28" Beretta 391 Extrema at a gun shop on consignment. Will shoot anything up to 3 1/2 inches. Packs a helluva wallop.

The wife shoots an 1100 in 20g

A lot of shotguns have this apparatus in the stock that helps absorb recoil.
    When it works, it works well. Its a freaking Jenga puzzle getting all back together after a cleaning.
    I recommend you steer clear of that.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Yup - the cheaper Winchester shells use (brass-coated) aluminum for the case-head instead of brass, so they tend to get sticky in chambers.

My experience has been that they seem to swell and not "spring" back to their original OD.

In pumps and semi-autos, the "hook" type extractor can not get a good enough purchase on the rim to pull them loose (it actually cants the shell to the side a bit). On a O/U the extractor/ejector grabs almost a third of the rim and that enlargement of the base has never caused a problem.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    They are the only thing that sticks in my 930spx. You have to jam the bolt back smacking it on a post to pull the shell out, but 7/8th of the shells eject fine.

sent from the bathroom

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I've had 2 930s and just had my first issue after 3k rounds. Shot 99.9% Walmart winchester cheap boxes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I started oiling the chamber and it helped. That's been my only issue crap shells. Gun runs flawless I'm thinking of getting the waterfowl edition

sent from the bathroom

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I wouldn't oil the chamber - while it might be easing extraction, it's band-aiding the issue and can be dangerous in terms of chamber-pressures. Rather a. avoid shooting those crappy shells altogether or b. polish the chambers with some steel-wool wrapped around a dowel.

My experience has been that they seem to swell and not "spring" back to their original OD.
    Yes - that's caused by the aluminum. It blows out under pressure but doesn't have the slight elasticity that brass has.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I wouldn't oil the chamber - while it might be easing extraction, it's band-aiding the issue and can be dangerous in terms of chamber-pressures. Rather a. avoid shooting those crappy shells altogether or b. polish the chambers with some steel-wool wrapped around a dowel.

Yes - that's caused by the aluminum. It blows out under pressure but doesn't have the slight elasticity that brass has.

May do this

sent from the bathroom

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    The cheap 100 pack shotgun shells like Federal Field and Target and Winchester Universal have steel bases.
    The universals have a worse reputation than the Field and Targets.
    The steel bases often cause a failure to extract. In my opinion they need more time to relax (read cool) than brass.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Well aren't you just a badass. You must shoot alone all the time.

lmfao!!!!!!!!!!

X2

sent from the Gulf of Mexico

Probably need to get out and meet more people!:green:

Fine example of how to lose any and all credit you've had or will have....

sent from the bathroom

My father always told me to tell the truth... I have boxes of IPSC trophies that I started collecting before I had pubes that are collecting dust at my pop's house. I used to work in a gun range and have shot with hundreds of self-proclaimed "expert shots" and I can generally outshoot every one of them with their own weapons. If it's so hard to believe, then I challenge any takers to a shoot-off. Seriously. I like to put my money where my mouth is. I'm proud of my abilities, have been shooting almost daily for 30 years, have shot alongside some of these internet-top-shots (one of whom actually has an action figure sold in his likeness), have made so many shots that most would consider impossible that I won't even start on that, and I've yet to find a single person whom I would consider better than me (since my early 20's). I understand that there are a lot of egos on the internet (usually my detractors), and I'm certain that I'm not the best shot in the WORLD - just the best that I've met... It was a factual statement based on my experience. If that's enough to ruin my credibility, so be it. Internet haters are just that - haters - just because you possess mediocre skills, doesn't mean that the next person posting does too - honestly I could care less about my "Net cred" because I'm a freakin ninja (figuratively speaking) and I know it - none of you have met me. Like I said - if anyone wants to challenge me, I'm down. I'm not in competitive shooting anymore, but all the internet haters are making me want to get back into it so I can wave some new trophies over my head.

EDIT: ..and just to be clear, I'm talking real IPSC, not some junior crap that they may have now. I was beating out ranked competitive shooters, FBI agents, police, military... with an 80 series Gold Cup race gun at the age of 12.

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'm proud of my abilities...

The point here is that you are WAY too proud. The main reason you won't get anyone to challenge your abilities on the range is because you come across sounding like self-centered, egotistical, bragging asshole....and really, who wants to hang around with someone like that? LOL

Top Bottom