• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    870 is a reliable great gun and in a Wingmaster is an awesome bird gun. These days I much prefer a 20 or 28 over a 12 as I don't see the point of abusing yourself if you don't have to. I guess I can understand if you are that bad of a shot that you need the extra pellets in the air.

I have a Wingmaster too, 12ga, 28" barrel with a 10 round mag - I don't use it for shooting birds or clays. My shotguns serve two purposes - defending the home, and blowing shit up in the woods. I'm not concerned with my accuracy - I'm the best shot I've met. If I can shoot a sparrow out of mid air with a .20 Sheridan Silver Streak air rifle, I don't think I need a cloud of lead to drop a duck.

Ever hunted anything that shot back? I have.

I've served and hunted with some of the toughest, hardest, high-speed low-drag MCLM SOB's on the face of the planet. Their go-to scatterguns of choice weren't pump shotguns.

If it makes any difference, I was on a guided goose hunt in Hutchisinson KS this past February during winter storm Nika. Single digit temps, 40 mph winds, blizzard conditions, and low visibility. The guys on the hunt shot a broad range of high end shotguns; O/U's, gas, and inertia. Only two shotguns ran problem free, the guides Stoeger M3000, and another Stoeger being used as a backup when his new intertia A5 wouldn't cycle.

....that's my $.02. Take it for what it's worth.

Cool story, but a semi-auto shotgun will never be as reliable as a well-maintained pump. That's like saying Glocks are as reliable as S&W revolvers. I don't doubt you, but given the track record of the 870 and with proper training, I see no reason to switch to a semi-shotgun.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have a Wingmaster too, 12ga, 28" barrel with a 10 round mag - I don't use it for shooting birds or clays. My shotguns serve two purposes - defending the home, and blowing shit up in the woods. I'm not concerned with my accuracy - I'm the best shot I've met. If I can shoot a sparrow out of mid air with a .20 Sheridan Silver Streak air rifle, I don't think I need a cloud of lead to drop a duck.

Cool story, but a semi-auto shotgun will never be as reliable as a well-maintained pump. That's like saying Glocks are as reliable as S&W revolvers. I don't doubt you, but given the track record of the 870 and with proper training, I see no reason to switch to a semi-shotgun.

Well aren't you just a badass. You must shoot alone all the time.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

Probably need to get out and meet more people!:green:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Oh yeah, and real men don't shoot 20 ga...

I can't believe no one has picked up on this. (I hope you mean they shoot 28 gauges.)

I have been on many hunts that a 20 gauge was considered the outside limit on size, and those that carried 12s were looked down on.

That is ok, for the most part a 12 is fine if you are a child or a rookie trying to get your first bird :)

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around

Fine example of how to lose any and all credit you've had or will have....

sent from the bathroom

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Get a Holland & Holland Royal SxS in 12g. They look nice, hold their value, and are extremely versatile. Squirrels, turkeys, lions, elephants, home intruders, about the only thing you can't do with it is fish. Well, I guess you COULD fish with it if the water is shallow enough. You gotta admit, having the ability to fire two barrels at once is a really good way to get someones attention.

Last edited:

cdurbin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    FNH SLP is what Im going to recommend. Whos gonna start the bashing?

8uhatuse.jpg

-Corey

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Is it a mk I or mk II? I seem to remember one having some issues with something breaking internally. The main complaint I had when looking at them is needing to change the piston between light and heavy loads.

cdurbin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Is it a mk I or mk II? I seem to remember one having some issues with something breaking internally. The main complaint I had when looking at them is needing to change the piston between light and heavy loads.

The reason I said what I did about the bashing is on a lot of forums people can stand anyone who recommends a shotgun othet then Bennelli. However I personally find the SLP softer shooting, just as reliable, and in my opinion quicker than equivalent Bennellis.

Mk 1. The only issues ive heard of is the light piston breaking on using uncommomly heavy loads.

I run the heavy piston in mine without any issues. The gun doesnt like the winchester white box from Walmart but shoots everyrhing else Winchestet fine.

Loves cheap Federal ammo though which I actually prefer. I tend to avoid Winchester ammo aftet seeing a few split hulls right out of the box.

-Corey

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ive been considering the FN SLP and Benelli M4. I think whatever I get ill just expect it to not run light loads so I dont go bananas after I ditched 2 Mossberg 930s for not running right.

Top Bottom