• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I almost considered getting an 7.62x39 upper, but the feed back I've understood was "it wasn't the most reliable". I know that RRA is coming out with a redesigned lower for the 7.62x39, to be more reliable. But at a hefty price. You don't have a huge selection of hunting rounds, as well, the ole steel casings debate in ARs... The 6.8 (basically, light load .270) is a great Hunting round for 200yds or less (I'm sure theres people who will stretch to 300), but I know my limits. I personally would keep the AK for the cheap stuff and have a 6.8 for my hog gitter. Almost any shot in the ear and neck area will work for any round 5.56 or larger. I prefer a larger bullet than 5.56 for the times that the perfect ear/neck shot don't allow itself. If you plan to take a hog by the vitals, you want the bullet to expand, not separate and go deep. That's why the copper bullets, Barnes, are so popular for smaller calibers.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I recently finished a 6.8spc build just for Hogs.

HogSwaro1.jpg

Pump action713

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Houston
    As long as he gets his practice for Proper shot placement any caliber should do. I took my first hog with a .22lr but it was the shot placement that took it down not the round. If the round were too hit anywhere else besides his eye it would've probably took a precision shot at my knee with its cutters.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    My wife shot two hogs last weekend with a 243 Sako. One was 148 lbs and the other was 120 lbs. Both pretty much dropped in their tracks with one shot. We hunted at Keechi Creek Ranch (Keechi Creek Outfitters) at Centerville Tx. The owner will not allow anything under a 243 for hunting there. No 223 calibers.
    All that said, I think a 270 would be a gun he would not out grow for a while.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    .308 semi-automatic rifle

^^ This

Although normally if we're out stalking the hogs, I have my 1911 on my hip, bolt 308 on a sling and 5.56 AR or lever 30-30 in my hands.

I'm not against hog hunting with .223/5.56 but there's a lot of shots I would not even think about if that were the only rifle on me. That's why I like to keep a larger caliber on me for those big hogs. And yes, iron sights in the dark is impossible.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    For a 10 year old's first time hunting, I would suggest: .243 Bolt action or .30-30 Lever action (Marlin or Winchester)

Dubya'01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Austin
    +1 on the AR in 6.8.
    I've only tested mine on yotes so far but I'm pretty impressed. I lost all confidence in 5.56 as a hunting cartridge after the last two animals I shot with the round looked at me and ran off. 5.56 is great if you can always get head shots but sucks with less than perfect shot placement. You get much better bullet choices with 6.8 and the recoil isn't that much more.

medmo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Austin
    When my son was younger I had the same problem. He filled his first big game tag in Arizona, (moved here recently), with a javalina using a Marlin 1894 44mag lever action. It fit his smaller size perfectly and worked magnificently on the javalina. Bullet passed completely through from stem to stern on ~50lb boar. Good luck and have fun!

Dragunov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Burnet County TX
    I just read the title... and I find it best not to arm the hogs. Plus they have issues with trigger manipulation due to the lack of fingers thing they have going on
    I agree, they lack opposable thumbs, they also have poor eyesight, and their snout would get in the way of the receiver.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I've taken a 150 lb. hog with a .223 and a 200 lb. with a .357 out of a Winchester 94. Dropped the 150 lb. in its tracks with a shot behind the ear and the 200 pounder staggered about 5 yrds with a shot just above and behind the shoulder. The .357 did a number to the bone and meat along the way...

My friend took a 150+ lb. hog with his crazy accurate .17 hmr... got it just behind the right eye. Bang. Flop.

Been meaning to take my .45-70 to the next hunt. That will be interesting...

Top Bottom