• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cabledad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Pottsboro,Texas
    I got on youtube last night and watched a young boy shoot a thompson encore pistol in45 70 it tore out of his hands and probably hit him in the head after which he was crying to his dad notice I didn't captalize dad I told you I didn't want to shoot that gun.Pathetic sorry father that will abuse his son with something he can't handle.I have seen this numerous times over the last 35 years of hunting.They hand there kid something way too big and then the kid will be scared of shooting from then on.Install a permant flinch in your son's( Daughters) shooting.I love a 243 for young kids,there a real rifle that will work for years and there available.(Pray for rain).Chuck
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I love a 243 for young kids,there a real rifle that will work for years and there available.(Pray for rain).Chuck

I started deer hunting with a .243 savage when i was 12, now i'm 26 and still love the rifle, It also has an adjustable trigger which is nice, I believe it is about as small as you can go and still get the big game bullet designs for deep penatration though tough skin.

As for the Youtube vid., I love big guns and wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on that pistol but there is no way in hell i would let a child shoot it, much less force them to shoot it for entertainment. Guess it makes him feel like a bigger man. I remeber when i talked my dad into letting me shoot his 25-06 when i was 11 or 12, got a black eye but still love getting my hands on the big guns.

Anyways, enough rambling, .243 is great, 223 FMJ would give good penetration even if the shot was alittle forward on the hogs shoulder but as long as your not going for hogzilla i think the .243 is a great multi purpose low recoil round that he can grow up with.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Shot a 145 lb sow last night with my ar15 using m855 at about 70-80 yards. Dropped it pretty quick with a heart shot.
    DSCN1781.jpg

DSCN1780.jpg

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I was going to try and take my AK with me next weekend, but couldn't get my scope mounting solution figured out so I am going to take my 30-30 Marlin and my Bushmaster AR...Can't wait to get my first harvest!

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i have several rifles i'd like to use.....my Ruger Scout .308, my Rock River AR......hell i'd use my Springfield 1903 A3....might as well make it a fun shoot

tequila45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    aurora, il
    I've practiced enough to get a pretty consistent 3" group from about 40 yds with my 6in gp100. I would love to try my hand at a hog with it.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I just read the title... and I find it best not to arm the hogs. Plus they have issues with trigger manipulation due to the lack of fingers thing they have going on
    Outstanding!

I've practiced enough to get a pretty consistent 3" group from about 40 yds with my 6in gp100. I would love to try my hand at a hog with it.
    The 357 will do the job, as that is what I have been hammering them with lately.
    You will not be able to see irons in the dark. If You are bringing a gun with irons make sure You have a back up with optics or You may be s.o.l.
    LED hat light fixes this.

Motorgun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Katy
    Nicky-pig-06c1.jpg MY son used a youth model 700 in 243 when he took this pig at 10 years old. A very youth friendly hunt near Centerville.

piledriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Katy
    If you have to use a bolt action type? A Stevens is a cheap gun that works good. I have two Stevens, one in 223 and one in 7mm-08. Great gun for the money. The 7mm has little recoil. I would use that for hogs before the 223.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Another one to consider in an AR format is the 6.8 SPC. You still have a light weight AR (vs the .308) with more knock down power than the 5.56. The 6.8 is getting more and more popular for hog and deer hunting (and becoming one of my favorites). I've actually been on a ranch that will not allow deer hunting with the .223/5.56 caliber.

Here's two I took with my 6.8 a couple weeks ago (about 80 yds away):
    7658ea89.jpg

Here's one of the bullets that I was able to recover. (SSA 110gr Pro Hunters):
    6057553b.jpg

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    SWEET. I cannot wait to light up some hogs again. It has been a while. I just use 62 gn m855, works fine. 6.8 looks good.
    Thanks.. To tell the truth, the 6.8 belongs to my wife. (hehe) I normally use my 45/70 or DPMS .308. As for hunting hogs and deer with 5.56, that can easily start up a "lively" debate. To me, it's the hunter that needs to know their ability and know their limits before they take that shot... One night I took a 250+ lbs boar, thankfully I had my 45/70 with me. If I had my 5.56, I might have passed that one up...

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    There's a big push on the .300 blackout, mainly for guys that want to use suppressors (from what I'm gathering). The ammo is abit more common for the 6.8 vs .300 blackout. But if you reload, I believe the .300 blackout is fairly inexpensive to make. I've been using SSA Pro Hunters for hogs, cost about $20 / box which I purchase online or at a couple local gun dealers. My next hog slayer that I want is a .450 bushmaster. I would consider .458 socom, but need to reload to afford pulling that trigger...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom