• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Danger Collins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Houston / Kingwood
    I haven't been on any type of hunting trip in over ten years. I have a son who will be 10 soon and I have been thinking about getting one of those guided hunt packages at some point. My question is what gun is ideal for hog hunting? I know that one of the guided hunt websites said no military rifles or shotguns so I'm guessing they don't like any AR style rifles. What semi auto rifle would be good for such a thing, and something that a 10 year old kid could shoot? (given 6 months of range practice). My son is a surgeon with a 22 but we haven't gone anything beyond that yet. I'm not going to buy a rifle and send him off in the woods mind you, this is something I would like to go ahead and start working towards. Thanks for any advice and excuse my ignorance on the subject in advance.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Just about anything will kill a pig. 5.56 is fine. The kicker is no military style guns. Cause I would have said AR15 for your son. There really are not any semiautomatic non military style guns that will fit a boy. You can get a ruger 44mag and cut the stock down, 30 carbines might be short enough. A youth Remington 700 in .243 is a good choice but it's bolt action. H&R single shot in 410 shooting slugs or in 357, 44 would do. Even a 30-30 lever gun.
    The field is wide open for you. I bet you already have a gun that will work fine.
    I would also find a hunt where you can choose your own rifle and not be dictated too

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'd get an AR10 in .308, and go hunt somewhere else. Get an adjustable stock, as an autoloader is going to be somewhat expensive, and you will want one that can grow with him. Plus then you have a really nice range toy/ HD gun. I can't think of a good autoloader that will fit him now and as he grows that isn't an AR.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Friend of mine swears by his .17 HMR gets the job done. He's an above average stalker\marksman who'll pass on a bad presentation though. I doubt any guides would allow them as well.

A Ruger 99/44 Deerfield carbine in .44 Magnum would be great for him. Low recoil and all.

attachment.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    On one of our ranches we used to sell and guide hunts as one revenue stream (watching cows eat don't take much time). Based on my experience....it depends on how you're hunting them, and how big the hogs are.

The smaller calibers that require well placed shots are fine if you're hunting from a position where you have time to aim. I've dropped hogs dead in their tracks with .22LR and .22 magnum, they were under a feeder and I was in a blind.

If you're stalking or sneaking up on them you may want larger calibers though, because if they come at you you want something that doesn't have to be as precise to stop them. I've had a 400 pounder with tusks come after and all I had was a 9mm. It didn't get far past the hide with the ammo I was using. The 11th shot when I hit it in the head worked great but the first 10 I was getting concerned (and running ). We usually used shotguns with slugs or AK47s.

I'd start him on something manageable. We had a .243 Remington Model Seven (basically model 700 carbine). It worked great for pretty much everything and wasn't as punishing as the 30 caliber rifles. I loved that rifle. We always welcomed the guys with cool "military style" rifles, as long as they let us shoot them at the range AK vs AR is really preference on hogs and depends on how you're hunting them. AR is probably better for younger kids because the light weight and adjustable stock (flame suit on).

...A Ruger 99/44 carbine in .44 Magnum would be great for him. Low recoil and all.

That .44 is nice. My grandpa used to carry one of those at our Colorado ranch in case he ran into any bears.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    In all seriousness (I'm not serious about the .50 BMG, obviously) the people that I know who run into hogs aren't LOOKING for hogs. They're out deer hunting and happen across a hog. They usually care a .357 or .44 mag on their hip in case of hogs. Ornery critters.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I just read the title... and I find it best not to arm the hogs. Plus they have issues with trigger manipulation due to the lack of fingers thing they have going on

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Seems like a Saiga Sporter would pass the muster since they look like a regular rifle while using the basic guts of an AK. Not that pricey, either. 7.62x39 would get it done easily. If they weren't up on red weaponry, a SKS would do it as well. Then you have the Ruger Mini's. A Mini 30 is 7.62x39.

Me...I'd use a heavy SP slug in my AR and watch them drop like flies.

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    The first option would be hunt where you can bring any (legal) weapon to get the job done. If the military style weapons are out, I'd opt for the 30-30. It's relatively inexpensive and in Texas, could double as a deer rifle. Also mentioned were the Ruger Mini 14- Mini 30 cant go wrong there. I tend to disagree on the 308. (mostly the HD advice) Its a great weapon but maybe not for a 10 year old, youre skipping a step from 22 to 308. Just my opinion fellas. Good luck, go make some family memories!

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    The Ruger Carbine in 44mag is ideal. The older model with the tube mag or the new rotary removable mag will be just fine. If you have a chance altercation with a large pig, you should consider JSP instead of HP ammo. I know someone who shot a couple of pigs point blank with 45ACP HP ammo and the penetration was slight. If the pigs are less than 100 lbs. the 30 carbine would be ideal with FMJ or SP ammo. If you haven't seen one, Remington is making a pump in 223 that would be ideal for a 10 year old even if it isn't ideal for pigs.

JBarL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Mosheim
    Well Savage Makes a 223 cal Bolt action with a accu trigger in it youth model it is a great gun, also Mossburg Maverick 243 or 223 youth model would be fine too mind you the mossburg maverick would be much cheaper than the savage. Mossburg 100 atr with 3x9x40 scope I can get you one for $407.69 Mossberg 100 ATR 243 Win - MB27212 - LIPSEYS.COM

SavageAxis 243 blue, synthetic stock 19235 youth model no Scope $349.00

Kilowatt3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    I'm a little late responding to your post, but here's my $.02...

I second what a couple of guys said re: a .30-30. Dunno how big your boy is, but a Marlin 336 has a relatively short length of pull, and if he can handle a .30-30, it'd be a great rifle that he could use the rest of his life. Recoil is not bad at all. I know you asked about semi-autos, but you might take a look at the 336.

As a couple of posts have mentioned, a Ruger .44 carbine would be a good choice, too, but I don't think they're making them anymore (?). Regarding Mike's comment about JSP vs. HP ammo, IMHO there is only one choice for .44 Mag for hunting - Hornady LeveRevolution. It's the best of both worlds when it comes to penetration AND expansion, and gives noticeably more energy to boot. I use them exclusively for hunting with my .30-30, and they're available in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and several rifle calibers. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

Beckett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Plano
    My 11 yr old daughter is really nervous about loud noises so I just bought a 300 AAC Blackout with suppressor. She wants to shoot pigs so I thought a suppressed, low velocity round would be a good start. Once she gets used to that I figure I can move her into a bolt action .243 for game animals. Lots of guys have mentioned the 30-30, but in my experience the little lever actions move around quite a bit and can scare a small kid. If the deer are under 120 - 130 lbs field dessed, a .223 is a good caliber also.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    post deems to be dead but i can't help myself, i received my first hunting rifle at 12, it is a savage model 110 chambered in .243, i still have and love that rifle, 14 yrs later it looks and fires like new and i plan on teaching my kids on it in tens years. it is great for deer but i havent used it for hogs. I use a smith and wesson 25-06 that was handed down from my dad for that. I would go .223. A fmj would penetrate the skull of even a large hog in an emergency and it is very multi purpose, it doesnt take a big bullet, just a small one in the right spot. I was handloading rounds for my .243 for different game, from 55 grn ballistic tip to heavy match rounds for practice.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    biggest one you can afford IMHO... in semi auto. CW is on the right track...

Barret, or M2

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I would get a gun based on "practical ranges" in which he intends to use it.Too bad about the military rifle thing, with open sights or within 60 yards I would get him an AK. The short stock makes it comfortable in even a smaller persons grasp. You can rapid fire it, if a large group is spotted. The 7.62x39 is very cheap to shoot and will easily put down up to a 400 lb. hog. It is a simple weapon, has great "cool factor" and is an important platform for any armed citizen in the modern world to know how to use. It would truly last him a lifetime. Since that's out of the question, I would go with a lever action rifle chambered in a pistol caliber. It will have tame recoil compared to a bolt rifle and he could one day get a pistol that shoots the same bullet. If he was shooting from a blind at distance, I would go for a .243 or 7mm-08 w/optics.

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have killed several hogs in my pasture with my 1950s Marlin model 336 30-30 rifle. My dad started me deer hunting with it as a boy in the 1960s. My collection has dozens of guns, my 30-30 has killed the most game.

30-30 lever action is the KISS principle for a ten year old.
    Mild recoil, Easy to handle, Iron sights, keep the hammer uncocked so it is safe until ready to shoot. Big enough caliber for hogs.

Ask around at work, maybe someone will loan you one for the hunt.
    Let him practice before hunting , a 3" group will do the trick for a heart & lung shot.

Also a .243 would be a good choice for a ten year old.

If you PM me your address I will mail you a life size wild hog target for free so he knows what part of the hog to aim for. I envy you getting to take him hunting, enjoy it. I have adult daughters who went fishing but never with me hunting.

Have fun,
    RFA

Top Bottom