APOD Firearms

Anybody else interested in creating a "banned" area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tangoparson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2017
    FWIW. On Tapatalk, if i click on the most recent banee’s name, there is a tiny circle slash to the right of the user name. It is ghosted and really small so it is easy to miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Venture Surplus ad

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Not sure what you are talking about.

Although, confusion in this thread isn't helping any.
    I know, can't believe I said it, lol....
    Sorry Cammy, just yanking your chain.

But seriously, I believe reasons for banning should be on a need to know basis. Curiosity isn't a need to know. Just like me being a teacher, consequences can arise if I share personal information about the student.

Pretty much it all boils down to rules violation. Knowing that someone is banned just means they broke the rules. If a person has been warned, that also should be a need to know.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Perhaps this would create too much work for the mods, but if one can create one’s own “custom title” could that be changed to “banned” when the malefactor is banned by a mod?

I actually considered that last night and it isn’t hard to change, but it would be an issue for temp bans.

Having to remember to change the tag again after someone returned would be tough since most of us moderate in between everything else in life. Users could fix their own tags after returning, but I’m sure some of hold leave it and end up creating more confusion.

For permabans it might be feasible, but most bans are only for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

But seriously, I believe reasons for banning should be on a need to know basis. Curiosity isn't a need to know. Just like me being a teacher, consequences can arise if I share personal information about them.

Pretty much it all boils down to rules violation. Knowing that someone is banned just means they broke the rules. If a person has been warned, that also should be a need to know.

Gotcha.

I'll repeat myself, I am not asking for the reason one is banned.
    As a matter of fact I was offered an explanation for an individual being banned a few months ago and declined.

I am only wishing to see a name, and whether it's a permanent ban, or not.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Gotcha.

I'll repeat myself, I am not asking for the reason one is banned.
    As a matter of fact I was offered an explanation for an individual being banned a few months ago and declined.

I am only wishing to see a name, and whether it's a permanent ban, or not.

In all honesty, it’s very unlikely you will know if it’s permanent and that is assuming we are able to get an automatic tagging system for banned members.

I’m pretty sure it would take some major hacking to allow the software to realize the difference between a ban running on a timer and one that is permanent. Heck, it’s taking more than we would expect just to get it to recognize banned members as a separate group.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't want to appear pushy, but just hoping that my idea for a thread hasn't been dropped.
    I actually would still request it be done even if the mods are able to work out something in the screen name area.

If we are able to get the tags worked out the thread may be dropped since the information will be visible everywhere the banned member has posted.

I’m only one guy and don’t make the final call, but I don’t see the need for both. Just my opinion and I don’t speak for the other mods.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If we are able to get the tags worked out the thread may be dropped since the information will be visible everywhere the banned member has posted.

I’m only one guy and don’t make the final call, but I don’t see the need for both. Just my opinion and I don’t speak for the other mods.

Thank you.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It seems this could be an easy way to do it. Enter their new status under their name. I had that thought a while ago, then saw you post this.

Already suggested and considered.

I actually considered that last night and it isn’t hard to change, but it would be an issue for temp bans.

Having to remember to change the tag again after someone returned would be tough since most of us moderate in between everything else in life. Users could fix their own tags after returning, but I’m sure some of hold leave it and end up creating more confusion.

For permabans it might be feasible, but most bans are only for a few days.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We are working on it and may be making some progress. Patience is appreciated as is figured out and things are checked to make sure it doesn’t cause any unforeseen issues with other user groups.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Y'all can edit user names, correct?

Can you just add (banned) or (temp ban) behind their name?

This would save us TaT users some hassle since we have to click on a user name to see any information.

Just throwing it out there. Not sure if that is fairly easy or not.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Ben’s giant post has a point that I want to talk about. The things we talk about get indexed by google. Two immediate thoughts:

1, I don’t use social media or give my employers any information that’s easy to look me up or what my hobbies are. Most of you know I’m a jokester, but hopefully know too I’m polite. I’m not perfect but you never know who’s looking. So to the rest of you, be careful what you share outside of tgt.

2, speaking of you never know who’s looking, we can’t have fuel for the anti’s. It’s messed up and I hate walking on eggshells but he’s got a valid point.

I know who’s looking from an Infoseek perspective. Assume the worst, you’ll probably be correct.

Anyone here that filling out a standard form/sf89 probably has a good idea who’s looking at their online profiles and activities from a professional POV.

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya

But seriously, I believe reasons for banning should be on a need to know basis. Curiosity isn't a need to know. Just like me being a teacher, consequences can arise if I share personal information about the student.

I agree. For many reasons. The first being privacy and internet stalking, harassment, professional reqs, and potential liability issues.

Top Bottom