• Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    My bad,

Should have read all the replies. I thought we were still making recommendations upon concealment pistols.

The compact PX4 (even the full size) are functional concealment pistols. You just happened to reply to a sub-discussion in the thread without the full context. It happens. :)

Shoot&Reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Austin
    Thanks for not shooting the noob! :)

And YES the PX4 is a sweet pistol. I bought one a WHILE back when I turned 21. It was actually my first personal handgun purchase. The little twisting sand kicker outer thingy on the barrel (no idea what the mechanism is called) was pretty cool too. Ironically, back then I out shot my 2 cousins with the PX4 while they were shooting with their fancy XDM's that they bought for $700 back in the day. My PX4 did not jam once.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for not shooting the noob! :)

And YES the PX4 is a sweet pistol. I bought one a WHILE back when I turned 21. It was actually my first personal handgun purchase. The little twisting sand kicker outer thingy on the barrel (no idea what the mechanism is called) was pretty cool too. Ironically, back then I out shot my 2 cousins with the PX4 while they were shooting with their fancy XDM's that they bought for $700 back in the day. My PX4 did not jam once.

When I'm not shooting single-stack I shoot my PX4 in USPSA Production class. The rain has hampered this recently but I'm looking forward to putting some lead downrange with it.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Why not install the NY2 trigger on your Glock. This will give you a 7 to 11 lb pull that would be like the DA pull on DA/SA pistol.

BTW, I carry either a G19, and lately a G43 appendix and feel very comfortable with it.

Shoot&Reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Austin
    I've been wanting to get into competition shooting for a LONG time. I'm just crazy busy at the moment, but I'll make it a point to do some research to see how complicated or easy it is to start.

Nice to see that there's some competition shooters on this forum.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I've been wanting to get into competition shooting for a LONG time. I'm just crazy busy at the moment, but I'll make it a point to do some research to see how complicated or easy it is to start.

Nice to see that there's some competition shooters on this forum.

Honestly? Any gun you have 3-5 mags for, show up to a match, introduce yourself as a new shooter, and shoot!

When there's no rain, that is...

Shoot&Reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Austin
    Honestly? Any gun you have 3-5 mags for, show up to a match, introduce yourself as a new shooter, and shoot!

When there's no rain, that is...

Whaaaaaat? I'm sure there are little tid bits like acceptable gun/mag holsters, types of ammunition, certain classes for different styles, weights, and modification level of the gun being used. For instance, I have an XDM 5.25 9mm with a tungsten/lead filled guide rod to keep muzzle climb to a minimum for faster target re-acquisition. Stock trigger parts with trigger work for a 3 lbs trigger break. Chrome polished firing pin. Oh, and cheater tape :) . It would have to be in a different class unless I switch to stock, but I can't because I already filled my guide rod with lead and tungsten. :laughing:.

Seriously though. I appreciate the way you make it sound that simple. Makes me wanna start even sooner! I'm sure it'll be almost routine once I get into the swing of things.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Whaaaaaat? I'm sure there are little tid bits like acceptable gun/mag holsters, types of ammunition, certain classes for different styles, weights, and modification level of the gun being used. For instance, I have an XDM 5.25 9mm with a tungsten/lead filled guide rod to keep muzzle climb to a minimum for faster target re-acquisition. Stock trigger parts with trigger work for a 3 lbs trigger break. Chrome polished firing pin. Oh, and cheater tape :) . It would have to be in a different class unless I switch to stock, but I can't because I already filled my guide rod with lead and tungsten. :laughing:.

Seriously though. I appreciate the way you make it sound that simple. Makes me wanna start even sooner! I'm sure it'll be almost routine once I get into the swing of things.

Honestly, don't worry about that for your first match. Unless you've joined USPSA or IDPA (and IDPA only if you happen to be shooting the classifier as your first match, which I wouldn't recommend), they'll help you figure out what division you fall into. Your first score won't matter - it's about the experience of shooting a match.

Seriously. Show up with what you have, let folks know, and they'll put you in a squad to shoot. It really is that simple. If your gear really is "illegal" for any given class (nearly impossible in USPSA) as long as it's safe you can likely shoot for no score (meaning no division/class/score) which would be fine since it won't count anyway.

From there you can worry about what division your gear would put you in and whether you want to compete in that or some other division with (more or less) modifications.

Shoot&Reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Austin
    That's it... I'm in. So where do I find these matches? lol. I saw something in WACO or something like that, but idk if I'm looking at the right resource.

Can't wait to get my feet wet! Time to leave my office, go home, take off these dress shoes, and sit in my work bench chair wearing nothing but my skibbies and latex gloves. :)

(and work on my guns/reloads of course)

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    That's it... I'm in. So where do I find these matches? lol. I saw something in WACO or something like that, but idk if I'm looking at the right resource.

Can't wait to get my feet wet! Time to leave my office, go home, take off these dress shoes, and sit in my work bench chair wearing nothing but my skibbies and latex gloves. :)

TMI. :)

I don't see a local Austin match this weekend for USPSA (there might be an IDPA match), but I'll keep you posted if that happens.

I'm currently registered for two this weekend but I doubt either one makes with the weather - Saturday @ Belville (Pacleb Ranch) and Sunday @ Navasota (CCC). I desperately need some trigger time before the STI Double-Tap Championship in Wichita Falls next weekend (rain or shine) and the LSI Texas Open on the 25th/26th.

Shoot&Reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Austin

Lol yeah... sorry about that. I get a little too excited about guns from time to time. I really appreciate the help though man.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    And just like that:

APSC USPSA Match Saturday, June 4th, 2016 at Austin Rifle Club

With all the rain in central Texas, we're not sure how likely it is that
    we'll be able to have a match, but with any luck things will dry out and
    we'll all get some more practice in before Double Tap. Sign up at the link
    below and we'll keep everyone updated on the state of the range.

Register online and select your squad at the link below.
    https://practiscore.com/apsc-uspsa-match-06-04-16/register

Match Details
    8:00am Setup starts
    9:15am Registration opens, please be registered by 9:45
    9:30am New to USPSA Shooters, Required Safety Briefing
    10:00am Match Begins

Stages
    Double Tap prep stages (weather dependent)

Round Count
    TBD

Match Fee
    $20 for non APSC Members, $15 for APSC Members. Juniors under 18 are $10.
    We accept cash or checks made out to APSC for payment

Austin Rifle Club 16312 Littig Rd Manor, TX 78653

Match Scores
    Will be Posted to PractiScore https://practiscore.com/results/
    Type APSC in the "Search" box and select the match you want to see.
    Scores will be posted as quickly as possible following the end of the match.

Match Directors
    Ben Gilman
    Ryan Banks

Find Austin Practical Shooting Club on Facebook for more information

USPSA Match: 1st Saturday of every month

Shoot&Reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Austin
    Sure did didn't I.... Lol I design microchips that go into cell phone for a living, but I have no clue how to use these complicated apps!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom