• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ks123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    So, I have a glock 17 and a h&k p30 (.40cal) and will be getting a xdm (in either .45 of 9mm) and I'm trying to decide which should be my carry gun.
    I know what everyone says, carry what you shoot the most accurately with, and for me, it's by far the glock but the gun only having the trigger safety really freaks me out and I don't carry one in the chamber.
    I've shot xdm's before and am fairly accurate with them (combat effective but not drilling the same hole like I do with my glock) and I really really like the grip safety feature and that's why I'm getting one (but if someone has another gun with similar features, I'm all ears)
    And last is the p30. I'm surprisingly not super accurate with this gun. I think it has something to do with the way I hold it because h&k make a good product. I feel much safer with the double/single action because I know there pretty much now way of the gun going off without a deliberate trigger pull

So anyway, which one would you guys carry? Or would you suggest something different
    My biggest concern is that I want 2 safetys that are not manual (aka grip and trigger)
    Thanks!
    Venture Surplus ad

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I know what everyone says, carry what you shoot the most accurately with, and for me, it's by far the glock but the gun only having the trigger safety really freaks me out and I don't carry one in the chamber.

You don't understand the multiple safeties on your Glock. You should study up: https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

There's no reason to not carry one chambered if you're using a holster that protects the trigger.

I've shot xdm's before and am fairly accurate with them (combat effective but not drilling the same hole like I do with my glock) and I really really like the grip safety feature and that's why I'm getting one (but if someone has another gun with similar features, I'm all ears)

All kinds of gun have grip safeties. 1911's, for instance.

And last is the p30. I'm surprisingly not super accurate with this gun. I think it has something to do with the way I hold it because h&k make a good product. I feel much safer with the double/single action because I know there pretty much now way of the gun going off without a deliberate trigger pull

Same with your Glock and Springfield. It's not going off without a deliberate trigger pull.

My biggest concern is that I want 2 safetys that are not manual (aka grip and trigger)

Your Glock has three. The plural of safety is safeties.

ks123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    You don't understand the multiple safeties on your Glock. You should study up: https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

There's no reason to not carry one chambered if you're using a holster that protects the trigger.

All kinds of gun have grip safeties. 1911's, for instance.

Same with your Glock and Springfield. It's not going off without a deliberate trigger pull.

Your Glock has three. The plural of safety is safeties.

Thank you for the info and the english lesson!
    I know about the 3 different safetys (see what I did there?? :D ) in a glock but it still weirds me out that theres just a tiny little blade on the trigger and if something gets stuck in there somehow, the gun is going off and then I'm missing a piece of my leg.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Well if you desire a grip safety as well, that is just fine, but thats going to choose the XDM for you I think.

Which gun feels the best in your hand? Have you tried the triggers on the different ones?

ks123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Well if you desire a grip safety as well, that is just fine, but thats going to choose the XDM for you I think.

Which gun feels the best in your hand? Have you tried the triggers on the different ones?

Honestly the glock, it feels sooo much better in my hand and I'm very accurate with it, that's why I'm so torn because I'm just scared of the lack of external safety. Also, I want to carry appendix but I'm scared of shooting my penis off :( lol

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Get a Shield with the thumb safety. Then you can carry with a chambered round. The extended mag gives you 8+1 rounds. Another good choice, if you want more capacity, is the XDm 3.8" Compact in 9mm. Also, a Glock 19 is a bit more concealable than a 17.

Whatever you decide on, you should carry with a round chambered. As long as you keep your finger off the trigger and are careful when holstering, there is no chance of an AD or ND.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Thank you for the info and the english lesson!
    I know about the 3 different safetys (see what I did there?? :D ) in a glock but it still weirds me out that theres just a tiny little blade on the trigger and if something gets stuck in there somehow, the gun is going off and then I'm missing a piece of my leg.

Are you not carrying the gun in a holster that protects the trigger?

ks123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Get a Shield with the thumb safety. Then you can carry with a chambered round. The extended mag gives you 8+1 rounds. Another good choice, if you want more capacity, is the XDm 3.8" Compact in 9mm. Also, a Glock 19 is a bit more concealable than a 17.

Whatever you decide on, you should carry with a round chambered. As long as you keep your finger off the trigger and are careful when holstering, there is no chance of an AD or ND.

Do you mean an m&p shield? I've heard of them but never really looked into them at all

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Honestly the glock, it feels sooo much better in my hand and I'm very accurate with it, that's why I'm so torn because I'm just scared of the lack of external safety. Also, I want to carry appendix but I'm scared of shooting my penis off :( lol

There's no chance of shooting yourself if your finger isn't on the trigger, which is shouldn't be when you draw. Practice drawing and indexing your trigger on the side of the frame all the way through your draw stroke.

Have you considered a SERPA holster? :)

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex

Do you have the Glock already? Set up some established clean safe procedures for arming/disarming (I am unfamiliar with the details of appendix carry else I would help).

Step 2. Carry the Glock for a week with no round in the chamber and check every night. I did that with my 1911 to get over the fear of going cocked and locked and it worked very well. You'll see that it hasn't gone off.

Step 3: I would not modify the trigger off standard. Thats an extra bit of safety.
    Remember Glock Leg is a real thing, but with proper procedures THAT YOU NEVER DEVIATE FROM and good holster you will be fine.

Oh I forgot to mention step 4.
    Step 4: lose the Glock and get a real gun :whip:

ks123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    There's no chance of shooting yourself if your finger isn't on the trigger, which is shouldn't be when you draw. Practice drawing and indexing your trigger on the side of the frame all the way through your draw stroke.

Have you considered a SERPA holster? :)
    I thought serpa's were more prone to a ND? And I understand, training to do it right everytime but there's a huge difference drawing under stress and not under stress. I would assume having some form of a second safety would mitigate that but maybe I'm wrong since your hand is on the gun anyway

Top Bottom