San Antonio

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    This right here ^^^ I don't get it when ranchers complain about the feral hog problem, but then again most charge insane amounts to hunt in their lands.

Because sporadic hunters can do more damage than hogs, and sporadic hunting doesn't eradicate them.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Because sporadic hunters can do more damage than hogs, and sporadic hunting doesn't eradicate them.
    I am going to let you handle the usual suspects this time. I will just end up twisting off on them for the amount of pure ignorance that flies from their fingertips.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This right here ^^^ I don't get it when ranchers complain about the feral hog problem, but then again most charge insane amounts to hunt in their lands.

Because there are a lot of assholes who will go out and destroy the ranchers property, break fences, drag 10 of their buddies out at midnight without permission, be unsafe, and leave their trash all over the property.

Those idiots have made it very difficult to gain a hunting spot by knocking on doors and offering to trade work or a small fee, or even remove destructive animals. Hunters will cause more damage than the hogs.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Damn, guess I should have read the next page, lol.

Sent from my HAL 9000

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Because there are a lot of $#@!s who will go out and destroy the ranchers property, break fences, drag 10 of their buddies out at midnight without permission, be unsafe, and leave their trash all over the property.

Those idiots have made it very difficult to gain a hunting spot by knocking on doors and offering to trade work or a small fee, or even remove destructive animals. Hunters will cause more damage than the hogs.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Lots o truth there. They might also choose to blow up pigs with tannerite on your property. LOL. Heck they may try to sue the land owner of they fall and get hurt.

Asshattery by the general public usually results in people becoming skid dish about allowing strangers on their property. Sad but fact of life.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.

I don't get it when a hunter thinks that because a rancher complains about a hog problem, the hunter thinks he should have some sort of right to hunt hogs on the rancher's land on-the-cheap. And as I said in a previous post, and others have stated, hunting hogs in a traditional manner does nothing to reduce the population.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sure is fun though!

Almost makes me wish I had hogs on my place.....almost.

Sent from my HAL 9000

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

The folks who complain so bitterly about their "feral hog problem" should try a "hog removal service" like our family uses. = "Cindy" comes out of OK, traps the hogs, removes them from the farm, takes them to OK to fatten/slaughter & each quarter sends us a check for our "cut".
    (Depending on her "catch", the quarterly payments can be from 500-3,000.oo.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Just this evening I got a phone call from a local non-profit group that asked me to BBQ a whole hog for their fundraiser, as I did a couple of years ago.

IF any of you have a serious "hog problem" anywhere in the vicinity of SA, I'd like to take a about 100-150 pound live-weight hog to cook for that group.
    (It's too far, i.e., over 9 hours one-way, to our farm so I'm looking for a hog "just a bit closer" than that.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

tpepper70

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    My oldest son hunts hogs with dogs. He has become well liked by the local ranchers and farmers and now has access to over 10k acres. He usually gets 1-5 hogs a weekend and donates the hogs to needy families. In no way will he eradicate hogs, but dogs tend to run them off to other locations for a while.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

tpepper70

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Depends on what you want them to do. He has 3 classes of dogs. Plot hounds for tracking, Black mouth curs and Catahoula for baying and bull dogs, pit or pit mix, for catching.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Shotgun Jeremy,

The TEXAS BLUE LACEY, IF you can get someone to sell you a GOOD example, is hard to beat for an all-around hog hunter OR for handling "rough stock".

tpepper is 100% CORRECT, if you can have a pack rather than just a single hunting dog.

yours, satx

Last edited:

tpepper70

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Yep, Blue Lacy dogs are awesome. Out of the 10 dogs my son has, 2 are full Lacey, don't know how I forgot about them, and the rest, except the bull dogs, have some Lacey in them. One of the best breeds ever.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Just heard last weekend when turing Red River's plant, the Blue Lacy is Texas' state dog. Didn't know states had state dog like a state bird.

Top Bottom