Venture Surplus ad

Which Curios & Relics Firearms Do You Own (C&R)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Aren't all 1911's Curios & Relics? ;)
    Are all 1911 pistols 50 years old or older or are they on the ATF's list of collectibles? A firearm has to be 50 years old or older to qualify or be on the ATF's list of younger guns tat they have classified as C&R guns due to certain collectible factors that they decide on a gun model by model basis. The ATF explains it at the page at this link: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Are all 1911 pistols 50 years old or older or are they on the ATF's list of collectibles? A firearm has to be 50 years old or older to qualify or be on the ATF's list of younger guns tat they have classified as C&R guns due to certain collectible factors that they decide on a gun model by model basis. The ATF explains it at the page at this link: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

1599722723398.png

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I just got to cleaning my guns, what else to do on a holiday Monday in NE TX! The first one I pulled out was my Hungarian Mosin Nagant M44, all matching numbers. I was amazed at how clean, bright and shiny was the bore and at the small amount of surface rust in in one area only because I probably have not cleaned it in six months to a year. I guess those silicone impregnated gun socks really do work (along with a can of desiccant as well). Anyway, I gave it a good going over and one other thing surprised me - there was some Cosmoline (or whatever equivalent the commies used) between the mag spring and the mag floorplate. I most surely remember cleaning that more than once but I guess not good enough. No Cosmo anywhere else.

Even though it is one of my favorite rifles, I have not shot it in a long time. That will be resolved in the not too distant future (I figure in about a week and a day or two) since I recently picked up 400 rounds of 7.62X54R for it. My trigger finger is itchy but my right shoulder may not be so eager. Should be fun though, always has been in the past.

I have several C&R guns:

Argentine Sistema Colt 1927

Beretta 1934 manufactured in 1941.

Colt Detective Special 1st issue, manufactured 1932 (not sure if this qualifies as C&R since it was modified).

Colt Frontier Scout manufactured in 1960.

Harrington & Richardson .22 Large Frame Top Break, probably second variation manufactured between 1928 - 1930.

Harrington & Richardson "Hammerless" 12 Ga made between 1925 - 1941.

High Standard Double Nine, nickel finish, manufactured sometime between 1958 - 1970, an early model without the return spring on the ejector as best I recall.

Hopkins & Allen 16 gauge single. (Forgot I sold that one, sure had me scratchig my head where it went until I looked in my C&R book!)

Model I.J. Target Sealed 8 Second Model, made between 1947 - 1954.

Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Third Model Safety Automatic Hammer, 22 rimfire, manufactured 1909 - 1941.

Marlin 1936, 2nd variation, case colored receiver & tang etc., B prefix, manufactured 1941.

Mauser Chileno Model 1895 7mm Mauser.

Mauser Yugo M24/47.

Mosin Nagant M44, 7.62x54R, Hungarian

Ortgies Deutsche Werke, 7.65mm, pistol (I have two of these)

Remington Model 10, 12 gauge slide action shotgun.

Remington Model 29, 12 gauge pump action.

Remington Model 31, 16 gauge, slide action.

Remington Model 141 Gamemaster, slide action in 35 REM.

Remington 513T Matchmaster, 22 LR, bolt action.

Ruger Single Six Convertible, Old Model (not modified with transfer bar), manufactured 1968.

Stevens Model 85, 22 LR, semi-auto.
    You know being such a braggart is a sin?

And impolite?

And makes others break a commandment or two?

I hope you're proud of yourself.

I would be.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Got my Beretta re-blued and put back together. AND I just ordered a 91/30 Mosin from Classic and a Carcano from Royal Tiger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    You have a bad case of Surplus-itis... It's a disease that can last years with annual flare-ups. Its main symptom is no money in the wallet and plenty of weekend smiles. Like COVID today, there is no current cure my friend.
    It's main symptom is no money in the wallet.

The way to handle the chronic symptom is to have copious amounts of money or a grasp of economics and some self control (which I seem to lack upon occasion) so as not to find yourself in dire straights with an economic partner or lending institutions.

There is a BALANCE that MUST be maintained.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    You have a bad case of Surplus-itis... It's a disease that can last years with annual flare-ups. Its main symptom is no money in the wallet and plenty of weekend smiles. Like COVID today, there is no current cure my friend.
    Who wants to be cured?

As far as economic balance goes, I just sold my Colt Detective Special, First Issue. Only got a mere pittance for it but that amounted to $16 more than I paid for it and I was quite satisfied with that because someone, somewhere along the line between 1932 and when I bought it, had filed down the front sight pretty much ruining its value. The person who bought it from me was quite eager to have it though at the price for which I sold it. Don't know if she noticed the front sight or not but it was painfully obvious. My guess is she probably missed the obvious right in front of her nose when she saw my low asking price and decided to jump on it after I went down $25 in price, then again maybe not because she toild me she wanted it to use to shoot snake shot. As for missing the obvious sight damage, that could have been much the same as me missing it when I had the high bid on it at an auction a couple or few years ago.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Am I the only one on TGT who has C&R guns or just the only one willing to say what I've got?

Glenn B,

NOPE, you aren't the only one.

Virtually all of my collection of Remington Model 760 pump-rifles are pre-1960, as are my PRE-WWII Colt & S&W .38SPL revolvers, plus the 2 Enfield .38-200 British Service "Commando" revolvers & at least 5 of my DB shotguns.
    (Fwiw, the so-called "Commando" DAO revolvers were NOT for use by British Commandos, as they were made to issue to tank crewmen. = I've never been able to figure out why even the Brits call them that.)

Note: When you get to my age (My 74th BD is 03NOV20), perhaps I'm now C&R or at least a RELIC.
    (CHUCKLE)

BTW, NICE avatar, too.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

LEP,

When you collect mostly pre-1960 Remington PUMP rifles/shotguns, pre-WWII Colt's revolvers (Most of mine are pre-1930.) & WWI/WWII surplus firearms, even Robert Francis O'Rourke (the 100% PHONY Latino, who FALSELY claims that his nickname is "BETO") isn't much interested in "controlling"/banning those C&R firearms, even IF you could afford 100s of them.
    ''

yours, satx

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I've got an old Iver Johnson Excelsior and an old Stevens single shot shotgun that were my great grandfathers from the late 1800's. The excelsior might.

The Iver is in much better shape and could be a 190? model. Neither is worth much money, but they mean a lot to me. I got them from my Uncle, who got them from his grandfather. He decided I was the one of my generation that would appreciate them the most.

LEP

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2015
    El Paso
    yours, satx
    Generally, I've gotten uncomfortable drawing unwanted attention from ANY source with regard to my firearms. Politicians & other crooks, anti-gun jerks, etc.
    And, yes, I've experienced unwanted law enforcement attention based on a grudge complaint from a neighbor, for example.
    It doesn't stop me from discussing and posting pictures on forums such as this one, but I prefer staying below the radar, Just my 2 cents.

LEP

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2015
    El Paso
    That being said, this info might answer the question:
    Load and shoot: 6.5mm (Dutch, Jap., Carcano, Swede), 7x57, 7.35 Carcano, 7.5mm (Mas, Swiss), 303 British, 7.65x53, 7.7 Jap, 7.62x51, 30-06, 8x50R & 8x52R Siamese, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8x56R, 30 Carbine, 450/577 Martini, 300 Win Mag, 45 LC.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    That being said, this info might answer the question:
    Load and shoot: 6.5mm (Dutch, Jap., Carcano, Swede), 7x57, 7.35 Carcano, 7.5mm (Mas, Swiss), 303 British, 7.65x53, 7.7 Jap, 7.62x51, 30-06, 8x50R & 8x52R Siamese, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8x56R, 30 Carbine, 450/577 Martini, 300 Win Mag, 45 LC.
    So at least a few!:rolleyes:

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    I just got to cleaning my guns, what else to do on a holiday Monday in NE TX! The first one I pulled out was my Hungarian Mosin Nagant M44, all matching numbers. I was amazed at how clean, bright and shiny was the bore and at the small amount of surface rust in in one area only because I probably have not cleaned it in six months to a year. I guess those silicone impregnated gun socks really do work (along with a can of desiccant as well). Anyway, I gave it a good going over and one other thing surprised me - there was some Cosmoline (or whatever equivalent the commies used) between the mag spring and the mag floorplate. I most surely remember cleaning that more than once but I guess not good enough. No Cosmo anywhere else.

Even though it is one of my favorite rifles, I have not shot it in a long time. That will be resolved in the not too distant future (I figure in about a week and a day or two) since I recently picked up 400 rounds of 7.62X54R for it. My trigger finger is itchy but my right shoulder may not be so eager. Should be fun though, always has been in the past.

I have several C&R guns:

Argentine Sistema Colt 1927

Beretta 1934 manufactured in 1941.

Colt Detective Special 1st issue, manufactured 1932 (not sure if this qualifies as C&R since it was modified).

Colt Frontier Scout manufactured in 1960.

Harrington & Richardson .22 Large Frame Top Break, probably second variation manufactured between 1928 - 1930.

Harrington & Richardson "Hammerless" 12 Ga made between 1925 - 1941.

High Standard Double Nine, nickel finish, manufactured sometime between 1958 - 1970, an early model without the return spring on the ejector as best I recall.

Hopkins & Allen 16 gauge single. (Forgot I sold that one, sure had me scratchig my head where it went until I looked in my C&R book!)

Model I.J. Target Sealed 8 Second Model, made between 1947 - 1954.

Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Third Model Safety Automatic Hammer, 22 rimfire, manufactured 1909 - 1941.

Marlin 1936, 2nd variation, case colored receiver & tang etc., B prefix, manufactured 1941.

Mauser Chileno Model 1895 7mm Mauser.

Mauser Yugo M24/47.

Mosin Nagant M44, 7.62x54R, Hungarian

Ortgies Deutsche Werke, 7.65mm, pistol (I have two of these)

Remington Model 10, 12 gauge slide action shotgun.

Remington Model 29, 12 gauge pump action.

Remington Model 31, 16 gauge, slide action.

Remington Model 141 Gamemaster, slide action in 35 REM.

Remington 513T Matchmaster, 22 LR, bolt action.

Ruger Single Six Convertible, Old Model (not modified with transfer bar), manufactured 1968.

Stevens Model 85, 22 LR, semi-auto.
    If you give me the serial number on your High Standard Double-nine, I have a chart and can tell you the exact year it was manufactured.

Here is a picture of my 1965 model
    IMG_1275.JPG

Top Bottom