Hurley's Gold

Which Curios & Relics Firearms Do You Own (C&R)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    If you give me the serial number on your High Standard Double-nine, I have a chart and can tell you the exact year it was manufactured.

Here is a picture of my 1965 model
    View attachment 230392

892xxx, pretty sure it is from 1958 (first year of manufacture) based on this chart and because it does not have an ejector return spring.

High Standard Double Nine boxed.jpg
    High Standard Double Nine left.jpg
    High Standard Double Nine right.jpg

Whenever I see it, it makes me wish I had a cowboy outfit, black mask & holster/belt like the ones I had when I was around 5-6 years old so I could strap it on, hop onto my stick pony and and yell Hi-Yo Silver, Away while blasting off a few rounds!
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    Should be a 1958 and that was the first year they manufactured the Double Nine.

1958 guns ran from serial number 778129 to 913111.

Should be a nickel gun with black grips and model W-100.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Should be a 1958 and that was the first year they manufactured the Double Nine.

1958 guns ran from serial number 778129 to 913111.

Should be a nickel gun with black grips and model W-100.
    While you werer wrting that I was looking it up, probably on the same chart, then edited the post. Yes it was made in '58.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Here's mine - both made in 1943.

I had a single shot Mossberg 12 gauge from the 20s (it was my great-grandmother's shotgun), but it got stolen a few years ago.
    M1.jpg
    94.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I think it must truly suck when a family heirloom is stolen, especially when it's a gun. Too bad about that.

14 guns total, of which I was supposed to inherit 11 (plus granny's shotgun, stored there because I didn't have anywhere to keep it), were stolen from my dad's house in 2013. It sucked mightily. Both of these recent purchases were to replace ones I should have inherited - Dad's 1952 vintage Winchester 94 and his 1944 vintage GM Saginaw M1 carbine.

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    892xxx, pretty sure it is from 1958 (first year of manufacture) based on this chart and because it does not have an ejector return spring.

View attachment 230397 View attachment 230398 View attachment 230400

Whenever I see it, it makes me wish I had a cowboy outfit, black mask & holster/belt like the ones I had when I was around 5-6 years old so I could strap it on, hop onto my stick pony and and yell Hi-Yo Silver, Away while blasting off a few rounds!
    Wow, that's a beauty. And the box too !

There are some really, really nice hand tooled leather belt and holsters out there that would really be nice to carry that in.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Yes. Safe to assume I have 23 C&Rs plus small quantities of ammo. I don't want to show up on MSM having had an 'arsenal'.:cool:
    If the police had ever searched my house in NY, my collection would likely have made the news and definitely wold have been called an arsenal by the left. I had over 50,000 rounds of ammo in my basement and a nice sized cache of rifles, shotguns and handguns (both C&R and not). Cut back quite a lot before moving but have been restocking since arriving in the freer world.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    There I was, on my first day of a week long hunting trip taking the canoe loaded down across Lake Buchanan when a really bad thunderstorm blew up in front of a blue norther. Everything went into lake and I was barely able to swim to shore near Tow. Anyhow all my guns are now a home for catfish and bluegills. Someday I will replace one of them.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Several lugers, several mausers, several guild custom guns, several Winchesters, a couple of prewar match pistols ... a martini match rifle a Savage 1923 match rifle. Only 2 carry pistols and a 1952 Steyr Mannlicher which ARE not C&R, even my bird gun is a 1947 Model 12 20ga! OOps got an AK74 , FAL and a two barrel AR15 as well.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Pfft.. is that all?
    Yep, and I was quite happy with it. Was rather sad I felt I had to sell quite a bit of it before leaving NY due to transportation issues. Anyway, I probably brought around 30K rounds down south with me; have been building that up ever since and getting close to the 50K mark again; about 12K of it is rimfire ammo. Don't know exactly why but stated stocking up on lots of ammo once I retired and the free stuff from work was no longer available to me (9mm, 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 5.56 & 223 and 12 gauge). Once I retired, while I still shot fairly frequently, I just did not shoot as much and the ammo I bought just piled up. I guess harding ammo has something to do with surviving the Cold War era when folks stocked up on supplies for doomsday (probably not a bad idea with the current situation in this country). Anyway, now, I plan to leave my son a nice inheritance as far as ammo goes.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Several lugers, several mausers, several guild custom guns, several Winchesters, a couple of prewar match pistols ... a martini match rifle a Savage 1923 match rifle. Only 2 carry pistols and a 1952 Steyr Mannlicher which ARE not C&R, even my bird gun is a 1947 Model 12 20ga! OOps got an AK74 , FAL and a two barrel AR15 as well.
    Always wanted a Luger but never knew enough about them to take the chance on getting one put together from several guns considering how much some of them went for. Had a chance to get one from a coworker, a bring-back from WWII that had been his father's, but after I researched it for him and I told him what it was worth he decided not to sell it. It was a fairly common version and not that valuable compared to others; so, I think he wanted to keep it for sentimental reasons. Probably worth a lot more now since that must have been 15 years ago or so.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom