Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    First firearm I bought with my own money was a Beretta 950B in .25 ACP. Don't judge me. I was a huge James Bond fan at the time, circa 1970. I'd read all 14 of the Ian Flemming Bond books by then.

Fleming--who wasn't actually a gun guy--had Bond carry a Beretta Model 418 in the early books, but I couldn't find one of those and settled for a more recent .25 model. I wasn't 21 yet, but my father was okay with me getting a little pocket pistol rather than something more useful in the field, hunting. He wasn't thrilled, but he was okay with it. He said it would be my job from then on to be the snake dispatcher. Ended up selling the gun about 8 or 9 years later because, yeah, it really wasn't good for much.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Spesco .38 cal. Bought it from maybe a pawn shop in 1972. New hire at Ma Bell and spent half my paycheck on ammo to shoot at the range, to heck with groceries for next 2 weeks. 50 rounds went fast so bought a Lee Loader to use at what we called a kitchen table, then a primer blew up in my hand trying to pound it in or something. Rode a bicycle to work but one morning put too much air in a tire at Mobil and it blew up. Had to wait until next payday to buy a tube and tire.

To put all this in context, my gun came first. You ever been young and very stupid ?

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Mine is loooooooooong gone.
    I do not miss it one bit I bought a Remington 700 over a Howa when Howa first came to market under their own name. I believe that was around 1978 -79 they were the first to have a synthetic stock so seeing an all black bolt rifle was very different versus a wood stocked rifle. I wanted a 308 bought bought a 270 basically for the looks.
    Huge mistake!

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I thought I'd already posted this looong ago but...:
    Mine was a Winchester 67A (.22 LR single shot bolt action).
    I bought it from my Uncle Frank for $5 when I was in the 4th grade.
    Last I heard, it is still in the family armory, unless some SOB pawned it..

Gunner76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2024
    Ohio
    My first gun was a Remington 572 pump 22. I think I was 13 or 14 and had saved my paper route money for it. It also came with a 22 smooth bore barrel for using 22 shot shells with special 3” very fragile clay pigeons. Man that was a long time ago. My brother sold it on me when I was in the Navy. Wish I still had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Dad had given me a war trophy JP Sauer 16GA sxs & a .22 single shot Anschutz, then a new Browning ‘’Sweet 16’’. One GF donated a Colt.22LR revolver & a Remington .22 tube mag bolt gun. Other GF a H&R 9 shot .22 revolver & a really nice Winchester .22 pump.

So, the first gun I actually bought was a nib Colt Python on 12/24/70, for $300 + tax. Shortly later, I bought a Colt..22
    sa carbine & a Ruger m77 in 7mm Rem Mag.

leVieux

<>

10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    Barely 18, at our feed store buying feed for the ranch and was looking at their firearm section. Bought a plain barrel Remington 870 Wingmaster for $89. I couldn't afford the vent rib model.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    First gun I bought with my own money was a Taurus model 66 back in 1990. I was in the military stationed at Ft. Irwin Ca. Things were way different in Ca. back then.

Top Bottom