What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Ordered some Hornady .270 Win primed brass from American Reloading. $45 not a bad price. Gonna load up some 145 ELD-X. Those things shoot like laser beams out of my old Savage 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    How old is too old for powder?!?!?

Bought a flip home and found this .
    The imr 4350, one of the green dot and the h4831 are still sealed.
    The other ones are opened and half way used.
    They don’t smell bad .
    88515dcc14832b93cc8cb697e12fb494.jpg

DustyDuds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Fort Worth

They don’t smell bad .

They are most likely fine for reloading.
    But if you are uncomfortable about using them, I will happily take what you don’t want!

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX

They don’t smell bad .

If it passes the sniff test I'd (cautiously) load them.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I found an old 1/2 pound can of IMR 700X in the back of the closet. It had to be thirty years old at least.
    I opened it. It smelled fine, kind of a acetone/chemical odor. I used it up and thought that the old can might be collectable.
    After a small online search, somebody bought it for $5.00 and paid the shipping.
    Not really worth the time to go to the post office but it made somebody happy.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I found an old 1/2 pound can of IMR 700X in the back of the closet. It had to be thirty years old at least.
    I opened it. It smelled fine, kind of a acetone/chemical odor. I used it up and thought that the old can might be collectable.
    After a small online search, somebody bought it for $5.00 and paid the shipping.
    Not really worth the time to go to the post office but it made somebody happy.

I've got half a can of that, but it's newer in the plastic jug. I got it during the Sandy Hook panic. Because nobody else wanted it. Turns out 700-X and a 125gr LRN (one of the few bullets I could find) was an extremely accurate load.

I've been thinking of using it up. It does not play well with powder measures, though I've found ways to deal with that. If memory serves me (ha!) I tested the .3cc dipper and it throws 3.2 gr -3.3 gr for me and that's right at the starting load for a 158gr bullet.

Right now my deranged thought is to dig out the old Lee Loader and go all whack-a-mole on that 700-X. I even have some 158gr LRN. How classic can you get? I get like this every once in a while. Screw the Dillon. Let's get back to basics. It re-centers me. I have enough 700-X for 1,000 rounds with that recipe.

Now I have a friend that had limited funds who loaded a couple of thousand rounds a year with a Lee Loader. Yeah ..... I think I'll still hold some 700-X in reserve. A few boxes can be fun but let's not get carried away.

Maybe I'll do a range report comparison post between the Lee Loader ammo and my standard load of W231, with the same bullet, loaded on the Dillon.

Top Bottom