What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TejasRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2016
    DFW
    Whelp, I made another newb mistake. I have a bunch of brass that I deprimed and cleaned and started priming before resizing. I got about 15 of them done before I realized I got out of sequence.

Any harm in resizing if I make sure the decapping pin is backed out all the way?

Thanks in advance...

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    You can leave it in and pop the primers back out. I do it all the time, just go slow.
    this is what I do also. did 65 30-30 this way a couple weeks ago for the same reason. the other 35, i still neef to pull the bullets on! sucks to get to the range and find out they wont chamber!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Whelp, I made another newb mistake. I have a bunch of brass that I deprimed and cleaned and started priming before resizing. I got about 15 of them done before I realized I got out of sequence.

Any harm in resizing if I make sure the decapping pin is backed out all the way?

Thanks in advance...

No issues, we've all done it! Like said earlier, deprime and do it again!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    "Any harm in resizing if I make sure the decapping pin is backed out all the way?"
    That's the question we are answering.
    If you back off the decapping pin, that also backs off the expander.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse

Thanks in advance...
    I have taken live steel case 7.62x39, pullet the .310 bullet, resize (with expander/decapper pushed back enough to not touch the bottom of the case), expanded back to .308, and the. Seated .308 bullets. I took the powder out before running the decapper/expander ball into the case though...

If it's a dual function. I've popped primers (new and shot) with just the "de-priming" die for years. It's kinda' an extra step but it gives me time to drink a beer while not doing the critical reloading. :green:
    Drink better beer! I like darker ales. Fat tire, wild hare, IPAs, red ales, stouts, etc.... I typically drink these slower because i like the taste. I will usually be sipping one while reloading.

On the other hand, i typically will only have 1 a day after work. Sometimes if its one of those ruff days ill have 2. Rarely ill drink more than 2 but thats usually those grapefruit shandys on hot summer days when im helping friends fix their houses

Anyways, i trust that im still clear headed enough to not 'splode myself

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I have taken live steel case 7.62x39, pullet the .310 bullet, resize (with expander/decapper pushed back enough to not touch the bottom of the case), expanded back to .308, and the. Seated .308 bullets. I took the powder out before running the decapper/expander ball into the case though...

Drink better beer! I like darker ales. Fat tire, wild hare, IPAs, red ales, stouts, etc.... I typically drink these slower because i like the taste. I will usually be sipping one while reloading.

On the other hand, i typically will only have 1 a day after work. Sometimes if its one of those ruff days ill have 2. Rarely ill drink more than 2 but thats usually those grapefruit shandys on hot summer days when im helping friends fix their houses

Anyways, i trust that im still clear headed enough to not 'splode myself

There is no better beer that Duvel! (My opinion!) One must drink it slow as it forms a large foam head if poured too fast! I'm just not into all the current wave of new beers being made. 'Nothing against them, they just can't get beat my Duvel!
    www.duvel.com

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Last night, I deburred nearly 500 brand new cases of 300 Black Out and .458 Socom. Today, I took down the setup for .308 on the Dillon RL55b that was set up for large primers and got it all adjusted for .458 Socom. I ran the first 10- 458 Socom rounds using H110 powder, Hornady 300 grain SP HP jacketed bullets. I'm using using the Large Pistol Magnum primers that Lyman recommends.

Tomorrow will be another rainy day. I'll set up the RL550b that I keep rigged for small primers. I'll get 300 Black Out ready to run. I loaded some test rounds on the Rock Chucker a few weeks ago but my volunteer round tester hasn't come through. Those 300 BLK loads will be H110 powder, standard small rifle primers and either 147 grain FMJ or 150 grain soft point bullets. Maybe, I'll load about 10 rounds of each bullet then wait for the rain to stop to test them myself.

Jake the Wonder Dog, gets up in his "helper" chair and watches everything. He is seldom more than 4 feet away from "Daddy."

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

Thanks in advance...

Remove the decapping pin but retain the neck expander plug so the necks are round. We've all had to do that at one time or another.

One thing that I won't do is seating a primer in a charged case. We've all goofed and left a primer off. I use the bullet puller, seat the primer and recharge the powder afterwards. No shortcuts allowed on that one.

Flash

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    50 rounds for testing in my new 6.5 Creedmoor Savage Stealth ready to go.

These are the new 147 gr ELD M bullets from Hornady and they are the only ones with data out. I have always found Hornady published data to be weak and of my test rounds, only the bottom two charges fit into their "safe zone".

I went ahead and seated right to 0.020" off the lands since that seems to be the sweet spot and they still fit in the magazine.

be18517da83900202ae006fd594fe2f0.jpg

If you look closely you can see different Sharpie marks on the cases just in case the rounds get mixed up for some reason. That is a practice I just started doing.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I found out that the federal gold medal brass I'd been squirreling away has crimped primers.
    Another step added to processing.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I found out that the federal gold medal brass I'd been squirreling away has crimped primers.
    Another step added to processing.

What are your plans for removing the crimp? May I suggest a Dillon precision decrimping tool? It's very efficient and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    What are your plans for removing the crimp? May I suggest a Dillon precision decrimping tool? It's very efficient and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got a pocket swager.
    No biggie. I was just surprised to find they are crimped.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Ive been working on powder coating bullets. Ive had 2 batches fail now and im running out of cast bullets. I found a new method though so im going to give that one a try today and hope for the best.

Any of you guys ever try powder coated bullets?

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The Dillon crimp remover works great! I also use a chamfer cutter to break the edges of the primer pocket and the case mouth. Either way, the crimp is no longer a problem, once processed.

The term for replacing the original bullet with higher quality slugs is "Mexican Match".....snicker. It's been around forever. Why use a .308 diameter bullet? The 123 grain .311 projectiles are readily available and fairly inexpensive. It will work a lot better!
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...9mm-311-diameter-123-grain-plated-spire-point

I used to load 7.62x39 using new brass but stopped doing that as the ejection from AK and SKS rifles is so violent that it crunched my new brass. On the Yugo SKS, there is a gas shutoff. I always meant to try the homegrown ammo by shutting off the gas port and using manual ejection. Never got around to it.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom