What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Loaded up 48 mouse fart loads for my marlin 30-30. Perfect loads for pest control around the house. Im also going to attempt some squirrel and rabbit hunting with which ever load I settle on after christmas.Bullets are 113 gr cast with gas check. powder is Bullseye.

qty
    7 4 gr
    11 3.5 gr (100 gr plinker)
    10 3 gr
    10 2.5 gr
    10 2 gr

headed to the range tomorrow morn with the chrono to test them out. looking for accuracy to about 50 yds and a speed of about 6-800 fps. we'll see how it pans out.

4a7b438538329898d1664097fd770bb0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Also found a few things at my grandmothers the other day. My grandfather was a reloader and sheriffs deputy and had a TON of reloading stuff! A Couple Dillon presses, at least a dozens and dozens of gallon baggies full of brass, and all the trimkings to go with it. When he died in 1995, my grandmother asked me if I wanted any of it. As a dumb 15 year old, I told her no (thinking ammo is cheap) so she gave it all to a friend of his in the sheriffs dept. I was helping her clean out some closets and attic and stumbled across a few items that slipped by!!!

c3d99115f75ec476558d17d968b89ebc.jpg

The reloading manual is dated 1966 and the only dies that are with the 310 are 30 carbine which is great because I have his old M1 carbine!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Here's what I did this week in the world of reloading:

Finally worked up some test loads for my 9mm. Have a Hornady LNL AP in the office collecting dust. Changing to Berry's 115gr RN to test. Looks like 1140 fps is where I'll be at. Then shot some of my Hornady Critical Defense to see how it chronys and it was right around 1150. Had to wait for the sun to come up though. First tests were reading 660fps...low light/fog.

Now I have my data for my target loads: 5.3gr WSF under Berry 115gr RN, mix brass, Win SPP. When I have a few minutes, I'll spin my chair around and crank out a few hundred rounds at a time. And in case anyone is wondering, no, I don't have a favorite load. I just happen to have 12 pounds of WSF to work through before I start trying other loads. I also just got in a ton of 124gr THP (target hollow points) that I'm also hoping to test.

I'm also anxious to work up loads for my 308 and new Savage Stealths in 338LM and 6.5CM

And now for something more unique:

I called Dillon to see about getting set up as a dealer. We carry some Hornady products (lots, actually) but so does everyone else. I saw a few people mention being Dillon dealers and the guys who seem "serious" frequently use Dillons. Also, before an ammo manufacturer ramps up production needing a Ammoload or Setpoint or Camdex, they usually have a few Dillion 1050s running. DoubleTap and Black Hills still use 1050s for low production runs as I understand it. So it seems to be the king of presses. Figured maybe I could be special by carrying Dillons. The margins are okay, but not much better than the other brands (if any). The presses and equipment is more expensive by about 20%. But the thing I was really concerned about (and sent an email about without response yet) is that they don't appear to support their dealers. If you go to Dillons website, they don't appear to even list dealers. If you go to Hornady's website, they actually have you put in a zip code and send you to a nearby dealer. So I was concerned that if I sold Dillon products that nobody would know, Dillion wouldn't direct them to me, and then as I educated people on Dillons "superior products" I'd just be building their online business. It appears their business model is really just to sell direct to the customer and cut out the middle man...but if a dealer wants to carry their products, we can buy at a slight discount.

I think their brand is great, their reputation is stellar, and their customer service is top notch (as is my experience with Hornady). I don't have any Dillon products, but everyone I know who does is almost religious about them. Just wish they appeared to have a better dealer support and promotion concept. I like that their toolhead move down to the shell holder versus moving the shell plate up to the tools. And my Hornady decapping pin on my 9mm resizing die reseats the primer about 1 in 10 times. Very annoying. My solution has been to have an employee manually deprime brass if we are slow or have down time.

Anyone have feelings on Dillon either way? Would you like to see more local gun shops/reloading shops carrying their products? Ever been curious why more shops don't carry their presses and products?
    Sand down your decapping pin and it will stop doing that. Easiest way is to chuck it in a drill and spin it.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Too bad you're not closer. I have two 8# Titegroup in stock right now. You're in Converse? I went to Kitty Hawk JHS and Randolph HS. That was back in the days of parachute pants and mall hair, though. I think Judson HS was just splitting into two campuses. My mother is visiting us in Houston for Thanksgiving. Maybe you'll have to put in a special delivery request. Also have about 95,000 Berry's bullets left from the order we just got in.
    One daughter is going to kitty hawk middle school, 2 more still in elementary that will be there soon and one more thats got a long way to go before school.

As for powder and bullets, maybe send me a private message and let me know what your prices are. Could use about 250-300 223 bullets and some light 308 bullets too.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Well, while the 30-30 loads were quiet, they were far from accurate! I think Im going to drop the gas check and try again. FPS were as follows:

4 gr bullseye - 910 fps
    3 gr bulleye - 850 fps
    2.5 gr bullseye - 730 fps
    2 gr bullseys - 620 fps

Im thinking there just isnt enough speed to overcome the difference in the rifling grabbin the lead vs the copper gas check. I plan to loose the gas check and alox lube and powder coat the bullets. hopefully that will help stabilize them. Fun to tinker with it anyway lol.

Also got to shoot my granfathers old colt frontier scout .22 revilver that I havent shot since I was 11 or 12, so the gun hadnt been shot in about 25 years! Accurate little pistol and still as much fun as I remember lol! He passed in 1995, and its been sitting in a shoe box in the back of a closet all that time.

480d36ac79344e77f798f6085643fafe.jpg

79b16166fe60291b3c8c176c4db7a112.jpg

funny thing was, it was louder with cci SV ammo than the light loads in the 30-30!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Trying to figure out the best way to mount this new press I just got yesterday... I don’t have as much scrap lumber as I thought...

I'd advise build the base (bench, table, etc.) as heavy as you can afford. I'd recommend a solid door as a base (I use a miss-cut school door that was a full two inches thick). You can get damaged, scratched, etc. doors at a resale place fairly cheap.

texasjohnboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    North Texas
    You direct mounting it? I mount mine to 2xs and C clamp them down. It is nice being able to move them or put them away as needed.

I think I want to do something so that I can move it when needed. Space is at a premium (I don't want to set this stuff up in my non-climate controlled shop outside), so being able to move it on and off the bench is a plus.

I'd advise build the base (bench, table, etc.) as heavy as you can afford. I'd recommend a solid door as a base (I use a miss-cut school door that was a full two inches thick). You can get damaged, scratched, etc. doors at a resale place fairly cheap.

I'm planning on building a small bench to put in my office, I'm betting there's going to be growing pains though as I don't have a ton of space to make a big ol' honkin bench. I might have to add weight to it or anchor it somehow.

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I built a 4'X2' bench that worked great. base was 2x4s and the top was 2x12. I used 2 3/4" lag bolts. Plenty solid enough and looked good with a coat of stain and some poly. Once I had more room, I upsized it to one 8' long and one 6' long built the same way

texasjohnboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    North Texas
    Built this today with materials I had on hand, following this plan http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html
    I adjusted the plan to support 2x6's as I had more of those than 2x4s, and changed the dimensions to 28.5" x 30" x 24". It's sturdier than I thought it was going to be, quite honestly. I may still put the shelf on the bottom, but I only had enough plywood for the top surface.

jfSpWMch.jpg

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Today i plan on going home and casting sone more bullets. Of course my wife will likely want me to other things though which will keep me from casting. Never the less, I'm going to try

Eta: i am working on casting about 500 bullets to powder coat and load. That way i can try them out and see if its worth the time and effort to keep doing it or just buy some more HAPs.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Picked these up. Seems to be the go to powder for 6.5 CM and also seems to be hard to find.

Yes, very hard to find. The last two times we've ordered from our distributor, they've had zero H4350. Very popular load for the 6.5. We got in 4 1# of the IMR4350 and a guy bought it as we took it out of the box. The distro said they haven't been able to get it from Hodgdon for some reason.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I made a batch of (50) 455 Webley MK II cases from 45 Schofield Star-Line brass. I already made 50 MK I Black Powder rounds loaded with Triple Se7en (longer cases) of the same Schofield brass.
    455webleyMKI.jpg

I like the large pistol primers in 455 Webley instead of the old Fiocchi MK II with SMALL pistol primers and NO availability. Hornady stopped making it years ago.

I have several hundred cases made from the box of 500 Schofield I got from Star-Line. More to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i'm outa-control)

bob

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Picked up a lb of unique and a lb of 4350 yesterday. I didnt know the 4350 was that hard to find or I would have grabbed the other 4 or 5 lbs they had and shared the wealth! If they are open tomorrow morning, I may swing by and see if they still have it. I think it was running somewhere in the $25 give or take $3. They also had quite a bit of other powders if anyone is looking for something in particular. I know I paid $23 for unique and they had tight group for $20. those are the only prices I remember off the top of my head.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Picked up a lb of unique and a lb of 4350 yesterday. I didnt know the 4350 was that hard to find or I would have grabbed the other 4 or 5 lbs they had and shared the wealth! If they are open tomorrow morning, I may swing by and see if they still have it. I think it was running somewhere in the $25 give or take $3. They also had quite a bit of other powders if anyone is looking for something in particular. I know I paid $23 for unique and they had tight group for $20. those are the only prices I remember off the top of my head.

Where?

Sent from...wait where am I!?

Top Bottom