Military Camp

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    9beb5964b47632a16381e5e6739580bc.jpg

500 pieces of .223 prepped, primed and ready to load.
    500 Machking 77gr HPBT are waiting for another empty day to be loaded as soon as I find a load that works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Got a hunting trip in 2 weeks, so I loaded up some 143 grain ELD-X for my 6.5, and some 145 grain ELD-X for my .270. I hear a lot of people say they will never use the ELD-X bullets, but I’ve had amazing results with them the last 4 years. Also loaded up a bunch of .223 rounds so if I get lucky and put meat in the freezer early in the week, I can have some fun taking out ‘yotes!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Had a new powder dispenser arrive yesterday.
    RCBS Little Dandy
    I needed something faster and easier dropping small charges for some light cowboy .38 loads.
    Had a chance to use it making a handful of test rounds late yesterday afternoon.
    Worked nicely.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Sorted my 308 brass last night. Sat the military cases and Hornady brass aside to deal with another day.

Planning to deprime some tonight. Still pondering the powder to use. Leaning to W748 since I have a bunch, and it was designed for 308. Decisions decisions.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Got a hunting trip in 2 weeks, so I loaded up some 143 grain ELD-X for my 6.5, and some 145 grain ELD-X for my .270. I hear a lot of people say they will never use the ELD-X bullets, but I’ve had amazing results with them the last 4 years. Also loaded up a bunch of .223 rounds so if I get lucky and put meat in the freezer early in the week, I can have some fun taking out ‘yotes!

Good luck on your hunt trip. Hope you get to fill your freezer.

What powder are you using for the.270? I’ve had pretty good results with Re-22 and a Sierra 140 gn BT.

What are you going to use for your.223?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Good luck on your hunt trip. Hope you get to fill your freezer.

What powder are you using for the.270? I’ve had pretty good results with Re-22 and a Sierra 140 gn BT.

What are you going to use for your.223?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you. Been looking forward to this trip for a while, especially since my freezer crapped out several months ago and I lost all the meat I had left from last year! I’m using IMR4831 for the .270 and CFE223 for my 223 load. Just started testing loads for my AR, and CFE was the first powder I tested. Seemed to work well, but I will definitely be testing a few different powders down the road.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I know that feeling. I recently was moving stuff around to get a motorcycle out and found a 5 gallon bucket. Must have been 3-4k bullets in there.

I vaguely remember buying them at a yard sale.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Tumbled some 308 cases. Resized / deprimed them and then trimmed them. They are ready for loading.

Took another batch off the tumbler and will resize them if I get my presents wrapped early enough.

Dave68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    NW Houston
    Ran two batches of 9mm and 45acp brass through the sonic cleaner. Finally got around to pulling all the bullets in my box of reject cartridges.

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    I pulled a few bullets today. A while back I bought a revolver in 256 winch. magnum . I wasn't really interested in the pistol as I was in the scope that was on it. But after taking the scope off, an old classmate of mine who is now a pretty good gunsmith recognized the pistol as a Hawes Western Marshal.

The HWM were imported from Germany and are basically a clone of the Colt single action. Apparently, at some point this one got converted to a 256 winch. magnum. When I bought it, it came with a decent amount of reloads and some dies.

So after my gunsmith friend did some things to smooth up the action, and function properly, I just got it back a couple days ago. I have decided to put a red dot on it and play around with it a little.

When the gunsmith was shooting the gun , he noticed some cases with bulges. I am a little concerned about shooting someone elses reloads, but keep in mind these reloads were made for this gun (unless the owner possibly had a rifle in this caliber as well??). But when weighing the powder from the pulled cases, I discovered some labeled P (plinking?) had around 9 gr. of powder while otheres had about 16 gr. . In looking in my manuals , it appears that this is probably 2 different powders.

So my next step will be to shoot through a chrony, keeping a sharp eye out for bulges. I did notice in pulling the bullets (using the inertia "hammer" type puller), some were really hard to pull and some really easy. So that could be causing a big difference in pressures as well. Since these reloads are pretty old, and have some corrosion on a few cases, I am thinking that the bullets might be "stuck" in the case.

By the way, the bullets are 60 gr. soft points. The next time I pull bullets, I will probably try to see if there are any percievable differences in the powders.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I pulled a few bullets today. A while back I bought a revolver in 256 winch. magnum . I wasn't really interested in the pistol as I was in the scope that was on it. But after taking the scope off, an old classmate of mine who is now a pretty good gunsmith recognized the pistol as a Hawes Western Marshal.

The HWM were imported from Germany and are basically a clone of the Colt single action. Apparently, at some point this one got converted to a 256 winch. magnum. When I bought it, it came with a decent amount of reloads and some dies.

So after my gunsmith friend did some things to smooth up the action, and function properly, I just got it back a couple days ago. I have decided to put a red dot on it and play around with it a little.

When the gunsmith was shooting the gun , he noticed some cases with bulges. I am a little concerned about shooting someone elses reloads, but keep in mind these reloads were made for this gun (unless the owner possibly had a rifle in this caliber as well??). But when weighing the powder from the pulled cases, I discovered some labeled P (plinking?) had around 9 gr. of powder while otheres had about 16 gr. . In looking in my manuals , it appears that this is probably 2 different powders.

So my next step will be to shoot through a chrony, keeping a sharp eye out for bulges. I did notice in pulling the bullets (using the inertia "hammer" type puller), some were really hard to pull and some really easy. So that could be causing a big difference in pressures as well. Since these reloads are pretty old, and have some corrosion on a few cases, I am thinking that the bullets might be "stuck" in the case.

By the way, the bullets are 60 gr. soft points. The next time I pull bullets, I will probably try to see if there are any percievable differences in the powders.
    I'm wracking my brain, trying to figure out how that conversion was done without spending a small fortune. Which is fine if it was, it happens all the time when somebody wants something bad enough. But if you're going to go that far why choose, what at the time was, a second-rate revolver? Why not a Ruger SA? The only thing I can think of is Hawes made a .22 on the same frame. Maybe that made it easier, they drilled and line a .22 barrel, and rechambered a .22 cylinder. You couldn't do it that way with a Ruger. You'd have to make a cylinder and rebarrel it.

I had a .256 rifle way back when. It was a Universal Ferret carbine. Marlin mad a modernistic looking lever gun in .256 also.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Prepped 25 Lapua 6mm creedmoor cases to load up some 90 grain Sierra tipped game kings for my hunt next week. I developed the load last year, they grouped about 1/2” at 100, but then I decided to leave the 6mm at home. When I chrono’d it last year, they were smoking! 3300 fps out of a 26” Shilen barrel. Wanna test them again to verify speed, group size, POI, and get some good DOPE out to 300 (although I’d be surprised if I had to take a shot over 200).

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom