Military Camp

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I didn't want to star a new thread for just one question so here it is.

Prvi Partizan Bullet 7.62x39 (.310) 123gr FMJ. I have my Nosler & Speer books which don't have tables for for my commie round and the Lyman 51st edition doesn't have tables for FMJ...WTF?!? Can't AK guys get any love? I also will be loading .300BLK. I'd prefer to use a common powder for both, Accurate 1680. I have experience loading 9mm & .303 British so I'm not a complete noob. Just need help finding proper charge tables. The Hodgdon site has data for Hornady SST and that's it. Shooter's Reference doesn't have data for FMJ either.

I’ll check my books when I get home.

I seem to remember Lyman has a special section for that round.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Lyman 50th edition..
    20231203_082441.jpg
    20231203_082429.jpg

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I just picked up 4 different 8lbrs of IMR4064, MR2000, H4350 and N133. Huge score getting all 4 for under 1k in a private sale. Finally have enough to put together loads for the 6.5 creedmoor, crank out some 308 GMM duplications, push some 50 and 52gr AR loads to the max and then who knows what with the MR2000. Christmas has come early!!!

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    The savages are shooters for sure. A lot of serious long range guys see them as a dead end road but out of the box you can't argue with results like that Robert!

Yep. I’ve got a 12-FV from Cabelas in .223 that will shoot the balls off a fly. Sure, the bolt is clunky, and it’s not pretty, but it shoots. This one I put really good optics on, and put a good stock on it. It might have made it a hair more consistent- who knows. I keep looking at precision bench rest rifles and keep thinking I can’t shoot better than what I’ve already got.

The horrible thing is, you go to a TGT meet, and shoot a really good rifle that’s so easy to put all the rounds in one hole - gaaaah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    The horrible thing is, you go to a TGT meet, and shoot a really good rifle that’s so easy to put all the rounds in one hole - gaaaah!

It's pay to play. I'm happy with 1" groups and until I replace a barrel that's about all I expect. I do need to get in the garage and start load development again soon.

Was that howa you had a Grendel? That thing shot really nice also. I remember you just giggling because it was so nice to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    My Howa 1500 in 308 was moa right out of the box. Absolute steal at $369, wish I had bought the 24" at the same price years ago. My GMM duplication loads are a delight in that rifle. Now that I have 8 lbs of 4064 to work with it's time to crank out some more.

A former coworker is a regular at RPR and shoots 600-1000 yards with his savage in 6.5 creedmoor. Definitely exceptional value rifles.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    It's pay to play. I'm happy with 1" groups and until I replace a barrel that's about all I expect. I do need to get in the garage and start load development again soon.

Was that howa you had a Grendel? That thing shot really nice also. I remember you just giggling because it was so nice to shoot.

Yep on the Howa. I like it.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I did a little "spearmintin" with 700X. I have quite a bit of it I got in trade, and want to use it in my 38Sp and .45 ACP loads... maybe even in my .45 Colt moderate loads.

The problem has been the "iffy" charges thrown from my Lyman powder charger.
    I tried to use the Lee scoops, and would get 5 or so that were dead on, then I'd have one that was +/-.2 ... just not as consistent as I'd like for a 3.5 to 5.0 gr powder charge. And I really don't want to have to weigh every charge...

I finally got a powder thru expander die for the ACP, and tried the Lee Auto Disk... and it appears it will work.... The largest drift I saw was just about 0.1 gr. I can live with that.

I figure if I start using the 700X now, I should run out in 2040 or so....

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I did a little "spearmintin" with 700X. I have quite a bit of it I got in trade, and want to use it in my 38Sp and .45 ACP loads... maybe even in my .45 Colt moderate loads.

The problem has been the "iffy" charges thrown from my Lyman powder charger.
    I tried to use the Lee scoops, and would get 5 or so that were dead on, then I'd have one that was +/-.2 ... just not as consistent as I'd like for a 3.5 to 5.0 gr powder charge. And I really don't want to have to weigh every charge...

I finally got a powder thru expander die for the ACP, and tried the Lee Auto Disk... and it appears it will work.... The largest drift I saw was just about 0.1 gr. I can live with that.

I figure if I start using the 700X now, I should run out in 2040 or so....
    I've had good luck with the auto disk with the adjustable charge bar. ±0.1 grains is normal for me. That said I think ±0.2 gr would still be fine in my book for plinking loads. I also don't tend to hotrod loads though.

Now the auto-drum powder dropper.... that's a different story. I hate that thing.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I'll have to look into the adjustable charge bar. Mine is an OLD one... probably from the early 80's? I've had it a long time.... it just uses the disks.

The dipper I was using would throw right at 4.7 gr, and occasionally drift up to around 5.0 gr... then sometimes down to just under 4.5 gr.... so we're talking a .5 gr "spread"..... I'm sure it was just my technique, but I prefer to be a little more consistent than that. My Lyman was ok, I guess, with probably about a .3 or so "spread", but the Auto Disk looks to be better than that....

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I'll have to look into the adjustable charge bar. Mine is an OLD one... probably from the early 80's? I've had it a long time.... it just uses the disks.

The dipper I was using would throw right at 4.7 gr, and occasionally drift up to around 5.0 gr... then sometimes down to just under 4.5 gr.... so we're talking a .5 gr "spread"..... I'm sure it was just my technique, but I prefer to be a little more consistent than that. My Lyman was ok, I guess, with probably about a .3 or so "spread", but the Auto Disk looks to be better than that....
    They used to make an update kit to go from the disk to the adjustable bar. They might still have that. It has the red round hopper.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Now the auto-drum powder dropper.... that's a different story. I hate that thing.
    If you're talking about their powder measure with the wiper instead of a close-tolerance drum, I can't agree.

Yes, it's terrible for precise charges of powders that meter easily through standard measures. It's not consistent enough with any powder that flows like water.

However, its design makes it better for those awful powders that have large, irregular structures and don't meter worth a damn through most measures. I use it to drop weights that are a little light and then I trickle the powder to full charge weight when I'm using any powder that just doesn't flow in normal powder measures.

It makes working with those powders much easier.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    If you're talking about their powder measure with the wiper instead of a close-tolerance drum, I can't agree.

Yes, it's terrible for precise charges of powders that meter easily through standard measures. It's not consistent enough with any powder that flows like water.

However, its design makes it better for those awful powders that have large, irregular structures and don't meter worth a damn through most measures. I use it to drop weights that are a little light and then I trickle the powder to full charge weight when I'm using any powder that just doesn't flow in normal powder measures.

It makes working with those powders much easier.
    I have the bench mounted dropper and it's great. The drum powder dropper that mounts on top of the powder through dies is the one I have trouble with. It's not even inconsistent. It just doesn't like to reset. I use it for 223 loads and when I operate the lever I have one hand on the lever and the other putting pressure on top of the powder hopper to assure it resets.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX

Try this. Go to Walmart and get a cheap aquarium pump. The one I got had 4 rubber feet. With two removed it hooks to an old rectangle Auto Disc. It provides enough vibration to the measure to "settle" the powder. I use it for 700-X. The Auto Disk does pretty well with 700-X but I found it will occasionally throw a short one. This stops that. The rubber bands break fairly often, I now use a stretchy velcro strap I found in Walmart sewing dept.

Attachments

• pump1.JPG
      pump1.JPG
      43.8 KB · Views: 22
    • pump2.JPG
      pump2.JPG
      35.1 KB · Views: 21
    • pump3.JPG
      pump3.JPG
      35.6 KB · Views: 21
    Last edited:

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Try this. Go to Walmart and get a cheap aquarium pump. The one I got had 4 rubber feet. With two removed it hooks to an old rectangle Auto Disc. It provides enough vibration to the measure to "settle" the powder. I use it for 700-X. The Auto Disk does pretty well with 700-X but I found it will occasionally throw a short one. This stops that. The rubber bands break fairly often, I know use a stretchy velcro strap I found in Walmart sewing dept.
    How funny! I was thinking today that I needed some kind of gentle vibration on the hopper to settle it.... I didn't even think about a little aquarium pump.
    GREAT idea.... I'll get one today and give it a try...

I had even thought about having some kind of timer that I could turn it on, and it would turn off after a given amount of time.. If you leave your pump on continuously, do you notice heavier charges if it sits unused for longer than "normal" cycle times? In other words, can you settle the powder too much? Personally, I wouldn't think so, but I've been mistaken before.....

it was a loooong time ago, though....

Top Bottom