APOD Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I’ve looked at Dillon. I’m also thinking about Lee. I’m happy so far with all there reloading stuff. Granted I only have there single stage press to judge there quality by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee single stage and turret presses are great unit's. Their progressive style presses on the other hand aren't. They break very easily because of all the plastic parts they contain.
    Dillon is the only way to go when it comes to a real progressive press. The Hornady progressive press works, but your real close to Dillon money when you by everything you need for it.
    Military Camp

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I have a Lee 4 hole turret press and I’m very happy with it. I have a plate carrier for each caliber I load, so it’s ready to roll with zero adjustments assuming it’s the same bullet I used last time for that caliber. And it generally is.

If I had to load hundreds of pistol rounds at a time, I’d think about the Dillon.

I have the same press and love it. While it’s not a progressive, once you get rolling, you can load pretty quickly. The 4 hole die plates are inexpensive, and you can grab one for every caliber you reload, set your dies up, and change quickly between them. Some people even get a powder drop for each one, which makes it super simple to swap between calibers. If I was going to get into the progressive side, it would be Dillon without question. I don’t shoot as much pistol as I use to, so I’m not in the market for anything more than I have now, but everyone I know who owns a Dillon is 100% satisfied with their decision. If you’re going to load a lot of pistol, a turret or progressive is the way to go. If you’re loading rifle, a good single stage or turret is fine.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The only difference for me is that I have a Hornady powder dispenser and don’t use the powder drops on my die plates. The exception is on pistol rounds. I use a Lee powder dispenser in the powder drop die.

For most rifle loads I use the Hornady and put the powder in cases on a tray prior to bullet seating. But I am trying to get accurate, consistent powder charges on the rifle rounds.

Last edited:

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    With any conversion like that you need either a donor barrel of proper caliber or one to bore out and line, and a donor cylinder to rechamber. Even if you make a barrel, that can be done from a manufactured and rifled barrel blank and the gunsmith just turns it to diameter, cuts to length, and threads one end. Is the barrel marked? If there are no Hawes markings on the barrel then it was probably made from a blank.

The problem most of the time is the cylinder. With a Colt or a Ruger there's no sub-caliber cylinder available to just rechamber. You'd have to make an entire cylinder from scratch. Can be done but expensive. Does it look like there are any kind of inserts in the cylinder? I've never seen that done but it's theoretically possible. Is there a Hawes caliber marking anywhere? They might have removed it.

A lot of the wildcats you see are what I call wildcats of convenience. Meaning they are easy to do. Like the .357/44 Bain & Davis. The case is a .44 magnum necked down to .357. Take a .357 Blackhawk and just rechamber it. Or better yet use the 9mm cylinder from you Blackhawk Convertible and make a two-caliber gun.

A .256 revolver would be a lot of fun!
    We did not find any markings on the frame , cylinder , or barrel. There is a sight rail/base mounted on it. I kinda wondered if maybe the barrel markins are under it. I will try to post up some pics in a few days, but really busy now. I believe I mentioned that my original intent for purchasing the pistol was for the scope on it for my contender.

But since I have learned so much more about the Hawes, I have really enjoyed learning about it. I almost shot it yesterday, but was in just a little too much of a rush. Thanks for all of the info.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    We did not find any markings on the frame , cylinder , or barrel. There is a sight rail/base mounted on it. I kinda wondered if maybe the barrel markins are under it. I will try to post up some pics in a few days, but really busy now. I believe I mentioned that my original intent for purchasing the pistol was for the scope on it for my contender.

But since I have learned so much more about the Hawes, I have really enjoyed learning about it. I almost shot it yesterday, but was in just a little too much of a rush. Thanks for all of the info.

I looked at some Hawes pics on the interwebs and the barrels don't show any markings on top. I did notice something though. On a .22lr there was a blurry photo of the muzzle and it was clearly lined. It looks like they just put a .22 liner in a larger (.357?) barrel to make the .22 model. Which makes sense. What a fun thing to run into. Good luck with it.

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    I looked at some Hawes pics on the interwebs and the barrels don't show any markings on top. I did notice something though. On a .22lr there was a blurry photo of the muzzle and it was clearly lined. It looks like they just put a .22 liner in a larger (.357?) barrel to make the .22 model. Which makes sense. What a fun thing to run into. Good luck with it.
    I looked at mine and it does looked lined, as does the cylinder chambers.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I looked at mine and it does looked lined, as does the cylinder chambers.

That satisfies a lot of my curiosity. I'd love to see a picture of the front and rear of the cylinder if you get a chance. I'm figuring that put chamber inserts and a barrel liner in a Hawes .44 Magnum. They have basically the same maximum chamber pressure. Somebody would have had to make the chamber inserts from scratch.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Just cleaned my new Lea 45acp reloading dies that came in the mail today along with my new Lyman powder trickler.
    f3c6af501e23c94046601ee9569fdf73.jpg

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    That satisfies a lot of my curiosity. I'd love to see a picture of the front and rear of the cylinder if you get a chance. I'm figuring that put chamber inserts and a barrel liner in a Hawes .44 Magnum. They have basically the same maximum chamber pressure. Somebody would have had to make the chamber inserts from scratch.

Attachments

• HWM2.JPG
      HWM2.JPG
      31.3 KB · Views: 29
    • HWM3.JPG
      HWM3.JPG
      71.8 KB · Views: 28
    • HWM4.JPG
      HWM4.JPG
      67.1 KB · Views: 27
    • HWM1.JPG
      HWM1.JPG
      117.8 KB · Views: 26

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I've read about the CZ-75 reputation, have never seen one. Is it too large to carry concealed?

I looked at the specs for the CZ P-01, it is a short version of the CZ-75, with aluminum in some places. Pretty impressive. Am sure it would be possible to conceal. And I want the best possible accuracy.

A lot of 9mm pistols are inconsistent in bullet accuracy. Weight does affect that.

Brother, are you serious with this post?

Pretty much every decent 9MM should flawlessly handle all ammo from the lightest stuff to the 147 at least.

If you want a hammer fired carry gun, look hard at the Beretta PX Storm. Great firearm. 1911’s come in 9MM…or double stack 2011’s. Staccato’s are solid.

Personally, I trust my life and the life of my family to Glock. S&W M&P are solid too.

Lots of great 9MM pistols on the market. I have no idea why you are looking at two of the biggest and heaviest pistols on the market today.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Brother, are you serious with this post?

Pretty much every decent 9MM should flawlessly handle all ammo from the lightest stuff to the 147 at least.

If you want a hammer fired carry gun, look hard at the Beretta PX Storm. Great firearm. 1911’s come in 9MM…or double stack 2011’s. Staccato’s are solid.

Personally, I trust my life and the life of my family to Glock. S&W M&P are solid too.

Lots of great 9MM pistols on the market. I have no idea why you are looking at two of the biggest and heaviest pistols on the market today.
    Funny you say that. There are both great pistols, but I came to the same conclusion about the weight and bought a very light Glock clone. For multiple reasons. I did finally see reviews of the one I bought that it handled well ammo with heavy bullets.

I'm still not a 9mm fan, but my (very heavy) 357 mag revolver is not very concealable.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bought some very tarnished brass recently. Sorted the shiny brass from the tarnished. Planing to use liquid tumbling solution and stir them with a stick after I deprime them.

Little soon after Christmas to get setup on a wet tumbler system. Going the poor man’s route.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Damn that's cool! It really doesn't look lined to me. Still a bit of a mystery. Here's the out-of-focus muzzle of a Hawes .22 off the interwebs. This is what a liner looks like, though it's thicker than most. They clearly just lined a .357 barrel for the .22.

Attachments

• Hawes-22-LR-Western-Six-Shooter_101419532_79050_D7CD2C8B5EBD45F2.jpeg
      Hawes-22-LR-Western-Six-Shooter_101419532_79050_D7CD2C8B5EBD45F2.jpeg
      264.7 KB · Views: 25

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Loaded up some “show off” rounds for my hunting trip later this week. In between the morning and afternoon hunts, we always seem to put some steel at distance and plink for a couple hours. Loaded some 115 DTAC’s in new Lapua brass for my 1:7 twist 6mm creedmoor. Wanna take a hog with either my Glock 20 or my Model 29 this year too, so I need to see what I have for projectiles and load something spicy up!

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Damn that's cool! It really doesn't look lined to me. Still a bit of a mystery. Here's the out-of-focus muzzle of a Hawes .22 off the interwebs. This is what a liner looks like, though it's thicker than most. They clearly just lined a .357 barrel for the .22.
    Yes, when taking the picture, I discovered how hard it is to take a good pic of a crowned muzzle. But I agree, it doesnt look anything like what is in your pic. There does look like it could be a very thin liner, but maybe not. Thanks again. I have enjoyed learning more about this old gun.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    A neighbor friend who reloads called me and offered me this for $65
    He got a big haul of unused reloading stuff from a guy who bought during a panic and never started reloading
    He kept what he wanted and I got the leftovers.

1000020053.jpg

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Yes, when taking the picture, I discovered how hard it is to take a good pic of a crowned muzzle. But I agree, it doesnt look anything like what is in your pic. There does look like it could be a very thin liner, but maybe not. Thanks again. I have enjoyed learning more about this old gun.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Resized another 50 308 cases. Wanted progress on that load, but I still can’t decide on the powder charges for my ladder test.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom