ARJ Defense ad

What are y'all cooking over the long weekend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    We need photos or it never happened. 5 bonus points for pics showing a smoke ring
    Boom!
    E01746E6-1281-4B8E-BB14-FB84F24E2563.jpeg
    Target Sports

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Had a bunch of friends/family/kids grandkids over so today was Axis burgers and hot dogs.

Tomorrow or Monday probably a pork butt and ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Interesting. The bark looks very light for a stick burner.

Good smoke ring though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Good eye. I tried a different temp technique as a result of time constraints. Had to crank up the heat. You’re used to them coming off looking like this, I imagine. As a brisket should.
    81678B23-7BBA-497A-9637-7B6D3DA349F7.jpeg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    In all honesty, I don't go for a real heavy bark on my briskets, or a really deep smoke ring either. I also prefer milder woods to smoke with.

My technique is to smoke the brisket for about an hour per side, then pull the brisket, wrapping in heavy foil, then back of the smoker for the duration of it's cooking time. When it's put back on the smoker, it's placed fat side up to allow the juices to flow downwards into the brisket.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    In all honesty, I don't go for a real heavy bark on my briskets, or a really deep smoke ring either. I also prefer milder woods to smoke with.

My technique is to smoke the brisket for about an hour per side, then pull the brisket, wrapping in heavy foil, then back of the smoker for the duration of it's cooking time. When it's put back on the smoker, it's placed fat side up to allow the juices to flow downwards into the brisket.
    I, too, prefer milder wood. I’m a pecan or cherry guy through and through.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I, too, prefer milder wood. I’m a pecan or cherry guy through and through.

I am very partial to pecan wood myself, when I can get it. Mesquite wood is great and a milder wood, but burns really hot. Great flavor, but unfortunately, I don't get the opportunity very often to use mesquite though.

Just about any fruit woods add a great flavor to the meat. I can get pear and apple wood occasionally from across the road over at my father's old orchard.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Mesquite is def not a milder wood. It provides a little tang, at least the green stuff does. I use a base of oak with mostly pecan added for flavor, And if I have it I’ll use some green mesquite for a deeper flavor.

I need more mesquite, ran out two cooks ago.

Got some sweet potatoes ready for the oven. I dice them, spread on a cookie sheet sprayed with olive oil, then top them with Himalayan sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and diced dried onions. Then I spray another coat of olive oil on top before the oven. 400 for 20-25 minutes.

96A45D40-884C-459F-9393-FFCCC2DE90E2.jpeg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Mesquite is def not a milder wood. It provides a little tang, at least the green stuff does. I use a base of oak with mostly pecan added for flavor, And if I have it I’ll use some green mesquite for a deeper flavor.

I need more mesquite, ran out two cooks ago.

Got some sweet potatoes ready for the oven. I dice them, spread on a cookie sheet sprayed with olive oil, then top them with Himalayan sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and diced dried onions. Then I spray another coat of olive oil on top before the oven. 400 for 20-25 minutes.

View attachment 226133

I have never used green mesquite, and only well seasoned dry mesquite. Most any green woods are usually going to have a stronger flavor that it imparts to the meats while smoking, because green wood imparts more smoke than heat.

There are a lot of variables that are involved with BBQ smoking. A lot of experimentation as well to find what works, and what works the best. From the type of rub used, the type of wood used, to the cooking temps and times. Different types of smokers can be a factor as well.

Briskets use to be cheap enough that a person could buy them to learn how to use a smoker and to experiment with. Sadly, from what I have seen in the stores over the last few years, briskets have gone so ridiculous in price, that isn't an option any more for most people. I sure don't try out different methods or techniques with a brisket like in the past. I will stick with what I know is tried and true for me.

Top Bottom