• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I'm glad I'm on my phone and not on my desktop. I spent years as a process analysis consultant and a statement like that could prompt me to write pages. But I won't do it on my phone.

Y'all got lucky. :)

Would love to see what you have to say ...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Off Topic Warning
    Would love to see what you have to say ...
    Without going too off-topic and telling war stories, what prompted me to say I wanted to reply was your statement that "Measurement is the first step in management."

In my experience, that's flat wrong.

Measurement is really important because:
    1. Nothing can be achieved if it can't be measured, and
    2. We only achieve what we measure.
    Measurement, however, is not the first step. It can cause more harm than good if you don't know what to measure. I can't point to one thing and say "That is the first step in management" but I know that understanding your business processes must come before anything gets measured. If you don't understand your processes, you won't know what to measure. I've seen way too many organizations screwed up because their management measured the wrong things.

Once an organization grows beyond a sole prop with no employees, business processes will develop that the owner/manager doesn't understand. Perhaps the biggest impediment to success I've had to overcome has been managers who assume they know everything their employees do. That's never the case.

Those managers choose measures that are wrong. Those wrong measures set up a feedback loop to the employees, encouraging them to optimize the wrong measure instead of optimizing whatever processes would contribute to the success of the organization. The loop will reinforce itself and expand over time. Eventually, large organizations full of good people working very hard may find themselves chasing numbers and entirely failing to serve their customers. It can be a really vicious cycle and hard to break.

So my biggest frustration is going into a situation where they produce lots of reports with lots of numbers but no one can tell me why they measure the things they measure.

The first serious office job I had was under a chief who understood all this and was trying to fix the place. In addition, my particular job was tightly measured; I had to report my work in 6-minute increments throughout the day. I learned the value of measuring what happened on my desk while at the same time seeing how applying those same measures to a group of people could entirely destroy the ability of the organization to function.

So, bottom line, process measurement is a big deal to me. The axiom you quoted struck a nerve. It's conventional wisdom and accepted by nearly everyone but, in my opinion, it's way too simplistic and has started too many organizations on a road to hell.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Well taken and agreed that that is certainly a legitimate, and thoughtful way to look at organization management.

However, my most recent expertise, and therefore my take on the first step that insures success in my endeavors, is in the actual fabrication process - i.e., the actual of building of a structure, populating a space for cabinetry (particularly when the space doesn't yet exist, where measurement is paramount), and designing and fabricating bespoke furniture.

The first step realizing the fabrication of those endeavors, and managing that fabrication process, begins with measurement.

Many different cats to be skinned, in different ways, including weight loss. ;)

Castle_Tejas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2019
    Texas
    I went from 362 to 185 over about 2 years with intermittent fasting eating basically one meal a day and cutting carbs and sugar, basically a ketogenic diet. Lots of ribeyes, tons of buttered broccoli, asparagus and cauliflower, eggs, cheese, mushrooms and using nascent iodine in filtered water (not complaining)... I came off all my meds and I am wearing clothes I haven't worn since high school. I am a truck driver and my activity level is pretty damn low, I "worked out" maybe twice in two years. Keto and IF (intermittent fasting) worked for me and changed my life, no bs. Good work on your progress, keep with it man!

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well... first week into working out and booze cutting.

I was 212-210 down to 205-204. I consumed way too many carbs in the cold beer.

Soreness from working out is brutal... forgot how bad that sucks. Did abs the other day, sneezing today is miserable.

Working out has already helped the golf swing though. Got back into playing golf and now motivated again to accomplish one of my life's goals. Gonna shoot a round in the 60's.

Cheat days are Fri and Sat only for adult beverages. 1 cheat day for eating what ever I want. Rest of the time is super health meals and lots of water.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Cheat meal...okay
    Cheat day...not okay

Do what you want though...

CICO matters...you can't get around math...its stubborn that way

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    For the past few months I have been purposely gaining weight
    I want to gain about 1.5-2.0 lbs per month. This is coupled with 4 days of heavy lifting and eating about 275 grams of protein a day with an overall calorie average of 3000 per day

In a couple of months, I will do an 8 week cut to trim back down but preserve the muscle I've added.

Right now, I'm having a blast !

Screenshot_20190811-121648_Fitbit.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190811-121648_Fitbit.jpg
      Screenshot_20190811-121648_Fitbit.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 410

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Understood. Now I'm gonna go cry in my glass of water
    Ha ha

I'm just saying that you can easily eat enough on your cheat day to negate the calorie deficit you worked hard for the other 6 days.
    Your progress can be greatly hindered.

Generally speaking if you want to lose weight and are working out 3-4 times a week, you can eat 8-9 calories per day, per pound of body weight and be okay.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ha ha

I'm just saying that you can easily eat enough on your cheat day to negate the calorie deficit you worked hard for the other 6 days.
    Your progress can be greatly hindered.

Generally speaking if you want to lose weight and are working out 3-4 times a week, you can eat 8-9 calories per day, per pound of body weight and be okay.
    Cool. Thanks for sharing the info. That would put me at about 1800-1900 calories a day. I don't count calories, but might start paying more attention to them. Cutting out the brew has helped. Guess I'm gonna have to find something with less calories when I wanna let my hair down.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Re: Cheat days vs. cheat meals.

During a period in the past when I successfully lost quite a bit of weight, I was encouraged to take a weekly cheat day. With the full knowledge that I could take in enough food to completely sabotage myself, I proceeded to stuff myself on those cheat days.

The funny thing is, after doing that for a few weeks, I began to cut back all by myself. I found that if I ate properly all week and then completely screwed up one day I felt terrible the day after. To this day, I view pizza as pretty much a greasy, stomach-churning mess reserved for special occasions. I eat it maybe twice a year, if that. It was those overstuffed cheat days that turned me off to the stuff. After a while, my cheat days didn't look like cheat days; they looked like average days from when I was my fattest.

I was also told two things by a doctor that argued in favor of cheat days. First, the body simply can't process all of the grease and calories a determined human being can stuff in over the course of a day. A (possibly substantial) portion of them will be eliminated without being processed. Second, a stuff-yourself cheat day might fool the body into keeping metabolism higher compared to the way metabolism lowers for people who do a perfect job of maintaining an excessive calorie deficit. (The impact of calorie deficits on metabolism is a huge subject, btw.)

Obviously to anyone who has seen me, I shouldn't be dispensing diet advice. I'm morbidly obese. I have, however, lost ~350 pounds and think I know a little about how to do it. So this post is worth what you paid for it.

Bottom line - Cheat days are probably a bad idea but they can work, depending on how you approach them. After all, weight loss is always far more complicated that "calories in, calories out".

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My cheat days are not eating as much as I can. They are maybe a beer that day, and instead of a salad, having a queso burger with fries. I normally don't eat fries.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Re: Cheat days vs. cheat meals.

During a period in the past when I successfully lost quite a bit of weight, I was encouraged to take a weekly cheat day. With the full knowledge that I could take in enough food to completely sabotage myself, I proceeded to stuff myself on those cheat days.

The funny thing is, after doing that for a few weeks, I began to cut back all by myself. I found that if I ate properly all week and then completely screwed up one day I felt terrible the day after. To this day, I view pizza as pretty much a greasy, stomach-churning mess reserved for special occasions. I eat it maybe twice a year, if that. It was those overstuffed cheat days that turned me off to the stuff. After a while, my cheat days didn't look like cheat days; they looked like average days from when I was my fattest.

I was also told two things by a doctor that argued in favor of cheat days. First, the body simply can't process all of the grease and calories a determined human being can stuff in over the course of a day. A (possibly substantial) portion of them will be eliminated without being processed. Second, a stuff-yourself cheat day might fool the body into keeping metabolism higher compared to the way metabolism lowers for people who do a perfect job of maintaining an excessive calorie deficit. (The impact of calorie deficits on metabolism is a huge subject, btw.)

Obviously to anyone who has seen me, I shouldn't be dispensing diet advice. I'm morbidly obese. I have, however, lost ~350 pounds and think I know a little about how to do it. So this post is worth what you paid for it.

Bottom line - Cheat days are probably a bad idea but they can work, depending on how you approach them. After all, weight loss is always far more complicated that "calories in, calories out".
    Thanks for sharing, Ben.

The majority of me getting back into a routine is holding myself accountable. I eat fairly healthy. Being 6'4" 205 (now) my biggest down fall was cold beer. I consumed WAY too much. The amount of calories was getting outta control.

When I say cheat day/meal I mean more like eating a 16oz ribeye, or momma's homemade pizza. I don't really mean going bananas and letting the wheels fall off.

I do enjoy a cocktail or 2 as the sun is setting. Gotta figure out the most healthy way to allow that to happen.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Bingo. Also depends upon what and when you consume on the cheat day, your age, your weight, your metabolic rate, your insulin levels, your glucose levels, et al, and myriad of other factors.

The theory is that if your body worked entirely on a 24 hour clock (a human construct), a strict, daily CICO focus might make sense, but the hormonal ebb and flow in the body's chemistry, responsible for what's utilized and what's stored as fat, actually doesn't work that way.

Nutritional science, including CICO, is far from being settled.

Bottom line is doing the research and finding out what eventually what works for you ...

48 lbs down, and don't focus on counting calories, but do keep an eye on them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom