• Status
    Not open for further replies.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's really too bad. I have known a lot of cops over the years and I've never seen this as a prevailing attitude. They do get disgusted in the erosion of respect for authority that is eating our society... as do I.

You have various levels of competence in all walks of life. Cops included.

As I've said before, fire all of the police in the US and you'll see just how damn good of a job they were doing. Can you say Mexico?

Mexico? Mexico is largely the fault of their police and the rampant corruption that they have going on.

The Us vs Them mentality has been creeping in over the years. It's not new and it's a "how to boil a frog" issue.

What troubles most of these guys IMO is not a respect for authority, but a lack of BLIND respect for authority, which is actually sorely lacking today. Authority needs to be questioned for a free society to stay free.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    What troubles most of these guys IMO is not a respect for authority, but a lack of BLIND respect for authority, which is actually sorely lacking today. Authority needs to be questioned for a free society to stay free.
    What I see is a society that thinks it makes them look cool if they question any and all authority. Consequently, our society now displays an almost total contempt for authority. It's a cancer that teaches our young people that they can ignore authority.

Questioning authority when it obviously oversteps the limits is fine, but we have to give a certain amount of respect to law enforcement if we expect to be a civilized society.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Exactly, the only time authority should come into question is when it is unjustly applied. Simply challenging it for no reason serves little purpose for society.

I don't care how "uncool" some may think it, I will still automatically extend respect towards those in law enforcement, firefighting, the military, education and other institutions until such time that an individual from one proves he or she are not worthy of it. I do so because those people serve society and sacrifice greatly to do so. They don't end up with large houses, expensive cars or huge bank accounts, but without them society would fall apart.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I'm not taking a shot at M. Sage here... just pointing out a differing opinion from his. One really nice thing about a free society is that we can have differing opinions and coexist. My experience with the cops I have known (and still know) shows me that I can safely still place some respect in their authority without being at risk. I will admit I have seen some goofy cowboys wearing badges, but most have been pretty decent guys.

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    I will still automatically extend respect towards those in law enforcement, firefighting, the military, education and other institutions until such time that an individual from one proves he or she are not worthy of it. I do so because those people serve society and sacrifice greatly to do so.

+1 I try to extend the same, not out of obligation but out of common courtesy.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Armored SWAT vehicle shows up, heavily kitted, marked SWAT officers get out and casually walk to the door. Sirens for a few seconds, guy says "kill that" and sirens go off, SWAT knocks on the door then yells "Police, Search Warrant, Open the Door" and waits. Police then make forced entry.

Sloppy and slow technique on behalf of the SWAT team, but I think they made every reasonable attempt to identify themselves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom