• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I would not be so quick to assume a CPR card makes someone a "volunteer emergency services person" and I sure as hell wouldn't stake my defense on it!

I know the law as written is a bit vague, but I believe the intent is for those who are an actually member of a volunteer group of some sort which provides emergency services (i.e. VFDs, TXSG, etc.).

Those folks are addressed separately.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    It's 5:00 an emergency somewhere!
    My meme ^^ was of Kyle Rittenhouse, incase anyone missed the point, who 'volunteered' to go help in Kenosha.

Though tangential to this discussion; I wonder if the definition of 'volunteer' includes the random citizen out there 'providing services for the benefit of the general public'.
    And cheers to Kyle. :loaded:

TPC 46.01 is the DTP provided in 30.06/.07. The pertinent text is “and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the benefit of the general public during emergency situations.”

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Can volunteer emergency services person carry past 05/06/07 in a non-emergency situation?

You are asking the wrong question. .05 doesn’t apply to license holders and any license holder can carry beyond a sign and still avail themselves of a DTP.

(g) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the license holder was personally given notice by oral communication described by Subsection (b) and promptly departed from the property.

Enforcement is what folks need to understand. The sign holder only has one enforceable option: tell a license holder to leave and, if the license holder does not, have the individual trespassed by an LEO, since that’s the person who can issue the citation.

As for permitless carry, .06/.07 signs don’t apply and the code still requires the “failed to depart” component for 30.05.

People spend too much time reading the sign and not enough time reading the code; all the signs do is announce there’s a different part of the code that can be triggered if you’re trespassed and fail to leave.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    You are asking the wrong question. .05 doesn’t apply to license holders and any license holder can carry beyond a sign and still avail themselves of a DTP.
    Maybe I didn't ask the question right, can a volunteer ems that holds a LTC cross a 06/07 sign if that ems is not responding to an emergency and is carrying either concealed or open? Does the entry into a posted situation require the ems being there to render medical aid? How about going into a 50% bar to get a beer? Are there specific requirements that the ems must meet beyond just having a so called get out of jail free volunteer ems card. I sure would hate to argue before a judge that I went into a posted place to shop and used my volunteer ems card as a defense to prosecution. I ask because I don't know the answer and maybe someone smarter does.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Maybe I didn't ask the question right, can a volunteer ems that holds a LTC cross a 06/07 sign if that ems is not responding to an emergency and is carrying either concealed or open? Does the entry into a posted situation require the ems being there to render medical aid? How about going into a 50% bar to get a beer? Are there specific requirements that the ems must meet beyond just having a so called get out of jail free volunteer ems card. I sure would hate to argue before a judge that I went into a posted place to shop and used my volunteer ems card as a defense to prosecution. I ask because I don't know the answer and maybe someone smarter does.

The volunteer thing makes 46.02/46.03 nonapplicable. 06/07 have their own language that provides a DTP.

Oddly an unlicensed VESP has less restrictions than a licensed First responder. 06 as example, (f) vs (f-1):

(f) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the license holder is volunteer emergency services personnel, as defined by Section 46.01.

(f-1) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the license holder is a first responder, as defined by Section 46.01, who:
    (1) holds an unexpired certificate of completion under Section 411.1883, Government Code, at the time of engaging in the applicable conduct;
    (2) was engaged in the actual discharge of the first responder's duties while carrying the handgun; and
    (3) was employed or supervised by a municipality or county to which Chapter 179, Local Government Code, applies.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I would not be so quick to assume a CPR card makes someone a "volunteer emergency services person" and I sure as hell wouldn't stake my defense on it!

I know the law as written is a bit vague, but I believe the intent is for those who are an actually member of a volunteer group of some sort which provides emergency services (i.e. VFDs, TXSG, etc.).

It says what it says:

(18) "Volunteer emergency services personnel" includes a volunteer firefighter, an emergency medical services volunteer as defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code, and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the benefit of the general public during emergency situations. The term does not include a peace officer or reserve law enforcement officer, as those terms are defined by Section 1701.001, Occupations Code, who is performing law enforcement duties.

No certification of anything is required. It is whether you actually do something that counts.

Jokes aside, what about someone who really does volunteer and provides services for the benefit of the general public during emergency situations. Red Cross? Blood donor? First Aid? SAR? Texas Baptist Men? I can think of dozens of ways you could legitimately meet the definition.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Maybe I'm terrible at google and forum search, but it wasn't easy for me to find this information, so I figured I'd post here for anyone that might be clueless like me.

While it seems like it might be common sense, I honestly wasn't positive, so I checked a few places to be sure.

Context: I moved here from Utah and have a Utah CFP. I am now a resident of Texas and have Texas ID.

I was told FFL transfers, transfer fees, and background checks are completely separate things from carry reciprocity laws/regulation. I'll still have to pay for background checks and won't likely get the discounted FFL transfer fees when applicable.

Conclusion: Gonna sign up to get a Texas LTC.

UPDATE: After some discussion in this thread, I believe I still misunderstood things. I was likely assuming I'd have to pay for background checks here because we had to in Utah (unless you had a CFP). Again, thank you TGT community for the back and forth.
    <>

Welcome to the South, Texas, & TGT !

”Reciprocity” is complex b/c of the great differences in details in each State.

A Texas ‘CL’’ has great reciprocity. Many of us keep several different state permits active. It is one of the best ID’s to carry, as it immediately tells any LEO that the bearer is not a criminal. This can be important, even when no weapon is involved.

You need to learn TExas’ unique & byzantine restrictions and signage system immediately.

Join the TSRA, our NRA affiliate, even if not a NRA member.

leVieux

<>

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    You need to learn TExas’ unique & byzantine restrictions and signage system immediately.

"Unique and byzantine" explained.

30.06 signs ban licensed concealed carry and only licensed concealed carry. Wording must be in accordance with the law (easy to look up), letters must be 1" tall and it must be posted in clear view at the entrance.

30.07 signs ban licensed open carry and only licensed open carry. You can carry concealed right past 'em. Wording must be in accordance with the law (easy to look up), letters must be 1" tall and it must be posted in clear view at the entrance.

The above signs cannot be combined in any way, wording-wise. There is no single sign that prohibits both concealed and open carry with a license. If the property owner wishes to prohibit both, they need to post both signs. Non-compliant signage can be ignored.

30.05 (unlicensed carry) is nebulous and confusing, and may or may not be restricted by just about any signage except 30.05 and 30.06. Just conceal. Better yet, just get your LTC and don't worry about all the random signs.

If you're carrying in any way and are asked verbally to leave because you're carrying, that's effective legal notice and you're trespassing if you stay.

Don't carry into a bar with a 51% sign posted. Once again, this must be posted at the entrance, and has "51%" in large letters with the text of the sign superimposed over it. Bars that derive more than 50% of their revenue from alcohol sales are prohibited locations for carrying firearms.

Don't carry into a courthouse, polling place, racetrack, public K-12 school, or hospital.

Doesn't seem all that confusing...

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Then EMS are also violating 06/07. No, I don't know if leaving your LTC card at home automatically means you are carrying by permitless carry. I guess we have to wait and see if there is a case. Actually when you think about it, why would you have to leave your LTC at home? No law says you have to have a drivers license on you unless you are driving and supposedly if LEO asks for drivers license you must show LTC as well. Asking for a drivers license if you are not driving does not automatically mean you must show LTC if you are not carrying a drivers license. So theoretically you could be carrying either way with an LTC in your wallet and permitless carry. All theoretical as I don't know if there is established case law.
    So, there is an 06/07 sign and I don't have my drivers license but have an LTC in my wallet. Violation or not? I don't know. LEO asks and I say permitless carry and no 30.05 or gunbuster. I don't have to show my LTC. Legal experts? What say you?
    EMS with a LTC ARE theoretically violating 30.06/7 if you believe that if you have one you must always be carrying under its authority. Which kind of begs the question why the statute states "carrying under authority of" if that is supposedly automatic. It really doesn't bother me enough to worry about. If a location has a 30.06 sign and I want to still carry, I will and in the very unlikely event that I am discovered, of course I will leave. If someone in authority wants to push the matter further, I will use the Defense of being a volunteer emergency response provider if I get a ticket.

ldaniel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2022
    Humble
    If that is the case, then a peace officer on duty or otherwise is violating 30.06/7 if she also has a LTC.
    No, Peace Officers aren't carrying a handgun via Chapter 411, Sub-chapter H. also Texas CCP Article. 2.1305. CARRYING WEAPON ON CERTAIN PREMISES. (a) An establishment serving the public may not prohibit or otherwise restrict a peace officer or special investigator from carrying on the establishment's premises a weapon that the peace officer or special investigator is otherwise authorized to carry, regardless of whether the peace officer or special investigator is engaged in the actual discharge of the officer's or investigator's duties while carrying the weapon.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So anyone with a LTC can claim to be a volunteer emergency service personnel and cross 30/06/07 signs with a defense to prosecution, you claim. I would find that may not fly in court but I don't plan on being the test case.
    And men can claim to be women too.

But if you actually are a VESP, there should be no issue.

Top Bottom