• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldwisemonk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2023
    San Antonio
    Maybe I'm terrible at google and forum search, but it wasn't easy for me to find this information, so I figured I'd post here for anyone that might be clueless like me.

While it seems like it might be common sense, I honestly wasn't positive, so I checked a few places to be sure.

Context: I moved here from Utah and have a Utah CFP. I am now a resident of Texas and have Texas ID.

I was told FFL transfers, transfer fees, and background checks are completely separate things from carry reciprocity laws/regulation. I'll still have to pay for background checks and won't likely get the discounted FFL transfer fees when applicable.

Conclusion: Gonna sign up to get a Texas LTC.

UPDATE: After some discussion in this thread, I believe I still misunderstood things. I was likely assuming I'd have to pay for background checks here because we had to in Utah (unless you had a CFP). Again, thank you TGT community for the back and forth.
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Maybe I'm terrible at google and forum search, but it wasn't easy for me to find this information, so I figured I'd post here for anyone that might be clueless like me.

While it seems like it might be common sense, I honestly wasn't positive, so I checked a few places to be sure.

Context: I moved here from Utah and have a Utah CFP. I am now a resident of Texas and have Texas ID.

I was told FFL transfers, transfer fees, and background checks are completely separate things from carry reciprocity laws/regulation. I'll still have to pay for background checks and won't likely get the discounted FFL transfer fees when applicable.

Conclusion: Gonna sign up to get a Texas LTC.
    I moved here from Washington State and have a WA CPL; have yet to get a TX LTC, not sure if I will. The guns I've bought have been at a local shop... and I've never been charged for a background check. They weren't impressed by my WA ticket.

Have you confirmed that TX LTC holders get a discount for transfer fees? Maybe that varies by vendor/FFL. So far I've had nothing shipped in..but that could easily change.

oldwisemonk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2023
    San Antonio
    I moved here from Washington State and have a WA CPL; have yet to get a TX LTC, not sure if I will. The guns I've bought have been at a local shop... and I've never been charged for a background check. They weren't impressed by my WA ticket.

Have you confirmed that TX LTC holders get a discount for transfer fees? Maybe that varies by vendor/FFL. So far I've had nothing shipped in..but that could easily change.
    Great added info. Thanks!

I think it's up to the FFL on whether or not they want to provide a discount for Texas LTC. For example, LoneStar Handgun has a price for Texas LTC and a separate price for non-LTC.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I'll still have to pay for background checks and won't likely get the discounted FFL transfer fees when applicable.

I've never (to my knowledge) been charged for a background check. Not sure that's a thing here. As for transfer fee discounts, that may be something some FFL's do to encourage folks to have carry licenses.

With a Texas LTC, you'll be able to bypass the background check. You'll still have to fill out the form 4473, but it just goes in the FFL's records without having to mess with sending it through the NICS check and waiting for a response.

So it's a useful thing to have.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I've never (to my knowledge) been charged for a background check. Not sure that's a thing here. As for transfer fee discounts, that may be something some FFL's do to encourage folks to have carry licenses.

With a Texas LTC, you'll be able to bypass the background check. You'll still have to fill out the form 4473, but it just goes in the FFL's records without having to mess with sending it through the NICS check and waiting for a response.

Hey- other than the background check thing - with the Constitutional (Open) Carry law recently passed... what other benefits (reasons) are there to get a TX LTC?

I know there's a thread on this hereabouts... maybe Cam will quickly post the link :D

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Hey- other than the background check thing - with the Constitutional (Open) Carry law recently passed... what other benefits (reasons) are there to get a TX LTC?

I know there's a thread on this hereabouts... maybe Cam will quickly post the link :D

A big one is being able to walk past non-30.06/30.07 anti-firearms signage. The 30.05 law is so vaguely worded a hand-drawn "gun buster" sign might be construed as valid for restricting unlicensed carry. With your LTC, all you have to watch for is the compliant signage.

Plus, it's something that shows up when the police run your license should you be pulled over. I've had interactions with cops go much smoother because I'm a licensed carrier - including one where the officer and I started talking about carry pistols and he lost interest in writing me a citation.

And if you ever get stuck needing to provide more than one form of picture ID...well, your LTC is a state-issued identification card and will fit the bill.

I'm sure there's others, but these factors are enough to make it worth my $40 every few years.

oldwisemonk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2023
    San Antonio

Excellent addition. Thank you for this.

oldwisemonk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2023
    San Antonio
    A big one is being able to walk past non-30.06/30.07 anti-firearms signage. The 30.05 law is so vaguely worded a hand-drawn "gun buster" sign might be construed as valid for restricting unlicensed carry. With your LTC, all you have to watch for is the compliant signage.

Plus, it's something that shows up when the police run your license should you be pulled over. I've had interactions with cops go much smoother because I'm a licensed carrier - including one where the officer and I started talking about carry pistols and he lost interest in writing me a citation.

And if you ever get stuck needing to provide more than one form of picture ID...well, your LTC is a state-issued identification card and will fit the bill.

I'm sure there's others, but these factors are enough to make it worth my $40 every few years.
    Those points are exactly why I'm sold on getting a Texas LTC, despite having a Utah CFP and this being a constitutional carry state.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks

So.. according to this sign - If I have an LTC - I can conceal carry there, but not open carry - even though the new law says I can open carry.

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    @Coiled - is there carry signage at Florida's?

I dont wanna call and ask - it might spook them that a gang of well armed banditos are gonna show up. :D

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So.. according to this sign - If I have an LTC - I can conceal carry there, but not open carry - even though the new law says I can open carry.

Sort of. A valid 30.07 sign restricts licensed open carry. Because the new law says you can carry without a license, though, you could conceivably leave your license at home and just open carry anyway and be in compliance with the law...but I guarantee they'll ask you to leave if you do, and will probably believe you're disobeying their sign as they're unlikely to be as versed on the law as those of us who discuss it here tend to be. Or they may have law enforcement ask for them. Either way that'll ruin lunch for you. "Verbal notice" still counts.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Those points are exactly why I'm sold on getting a Texas LTC, despite having a Utah CFP and this being a constitutional carry state.
    I wish you much better luck than I've had figuring this out.
    Personally, I just do what I do and not worry about it.

@General Zod - just because you leave your LTC card at home doesn't mean you're not a license holder.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I wish you much better luck than I've had figuring this out.
    Personally, I just do what I do and not worry about it.

@General Zod - just because you leave your LTC card at home doesn't mean you're not a license holder.

But it does mean you're carrying without a license - which was touted as one of the benefits of the new law. Should your wallet be stolen or left at home, you're no longer committing a felony by carrying a firearm.

Top Bottom