APOD Firearms

Unmarked police vehicles for traffic stops...Thought?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I bet Cali has some cop car Priuses.
    I can't find any from Cali.

I can find New York:

NYPrius_zps44a1a2f6.jpg

Canada:

RCMPPrius_zps5ba5986d.jpg

Michigan:

KalPrius_zps3fcab84c.jpg

and lots of other places, but not Cali. My google-fu is weak this morning.

Of course, when it comes to stupid cop cars I think I'd nominate this one:

StupidCopCar_zpsc6e70e27.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Getting back on subject momentarily, I was once told by a LEO friend that every second that you don't respond to the siren and lights is another second of ass-whoopin that you'll receive. I wonder if 911 would help you with that. Anyway, unmarked (or stealth-marked) Chargers and Camaros seem to be the flavor in this jurisdiction.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...stealth-marked...Chargers...seem to be the flavor in this jurisdiction.
    I agree. Still, I haven't seen so many lately; not too long ago they seemed to be everywhere. Perhaps I'm just becoming less observant as I age.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Connecticut state trooper
    That car has a light bar on top and a spotlight. The plates are almost certainly exempt. For an adequately-broad definition of "marked", I'd call that a marked car. It's marked by the equipment on it. If you saw just a silhouette of it, you'd know it was some sort of patrol unit, either police or private security. If it was behind me and I could see red flashing lights in my rear-view mirror, I'd pull over without hesitation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I agree. Still, I haven't seen so many lately; not too long ago they seemed to be everywhere. Perhaps I'm just becoming less observant as I age.
    That's because they keep lightening the "markings" to help them blend in with civilian traffic better. I think it's how they get away with the whole unmarked car thing... "It's a marked vehicle, look - stand right here, now shift your head to the left a little - you see that? You can start to make out the outline of the 'P' if you catch it in the right light"...

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    What are your thoughts on this and what would you do if you were driving along, having committed no known violation, and suddenly found yourself with an otherwise unmarked vehicle running lights and sirens behind you?
    I served on a jury a few years ago where a gang-banger and an accomplice stopped people in an unmarked car with lights and robbed them all with a fake badge hanging off his neck.
    We gave him fifty years to think about it.

Treyg73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Balcones Heights PD got me one night on I-10 using an almost black Crown Vic with markings that were almost the same color and lights in the grill. Very sneaky.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    As luck would have it I spotted the baby shit brown unmarked Frisco ticket writer catching HV criminals. If you are ever in Frisco TX make sure to follow the law at the corner of Preston and Main St.

20130823_162356_zps3b856bb6.gif

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I was once told by a LEO friend that every second that you don't respond to the siren and lights is another second of ass-whoopin that you'll receive
    I hope you laughed at him, told him he's full of shit, and that no one is intimidated by his false bravado... Some folks need a reality check.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Whew, I thought I was on the motorcycle forum for a minute. I'd like to say thanks to all those nice troopers who stopped me on cold, wet days and let me warm up in their cars while they ran my license. LOL!!

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Several thoughts on this subject....
    I LIKE unmarked or stealth vehicles enforcing traffic laws. I see speed-demons driving like a madman pretty often and the second they see the light bar or decal on the trunk, they go into grandpa mode. While a clearly marked patrol car will discourage aggressive driving, it is only while that patrol car is in view and then it's pedal to the metal again. The stealth unit gets to observe the violator a whole lot longer.

I also enjoy motoring down the road without a constant fear of being slammed into by Bubba who is late for work. And the fact fine money helps build and maintain roads is a plus too. When I see someone pulled over receiving their just reward for endangering other drivers on the road, I smile and silently thank them for helping pay for the smooth concrete ribbon I am driving on.

Oh, those that think law enforcement gets unlimited funds from speeders can do a Google search for section 542.402.......

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    All these years and I still don't know what a "speed trap" is. Is it a place or thing where a driver is "forced" to break the speed limit and then given a ticket?

The original definition of speed trap was a location with a speed limit posted lower than a current traffic survey deemed is safe and prudent. Now, it seems to be any place that a speeder gets caught when he is complaining to his buddies.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    That rings a bell, thanks. But even then, would it be called a "trap" just because a survey called for a lower speed limit (correctly or incorrectly)? If it's posted, even if was obviously too low, would it still be a trap?

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    That rings a bell, thanks. But even then, would it be called a "trap" just because a survey called for a lower speed limit (correctly or incorrectly)? If it's posted, even if was obviously too low, would it still be a trap?

LOL, anytime one of my buddies or a neighbor gets a speeding ticket, they always complain it was a "speed trap" which I have found is normally just a place RADAR is operated frequently.

When a section of roadway is built, I understand it is built to specifications that say a certain speed will be safe, and then a study is conducted to reinforce that. As an example, some new freeways being built are supposedly designed to allow 80 or even 85 mph speeds. But..... say that some county or city that said freeway passes through decides they want to limit it to 55 mph. Now, we have the classic speed trap, by the original definition. The road was designed to handle higher speeds but is posted at a low limit simply to write tickets.

I've not seen a traffic study on the road but I sort of wonder about a new stretch of pavement near my house. Maybe......just MAYBE, the 45 mph limit was placed there to prevent the innocent slaughter of slow buzzards and an occasional raccoon.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Oh, those that think law enforcement gets unlimited funds from speeders can do a Google search for section 542.402.......

I remember some drama over this a few years ago. Some town (was it martindale or prairie lea?) was also under the impression that they got to keep all their citation money. The state corrected that impression.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If it's posted, even if was obviously too low, would it still be a trap?
    It can be. For years, there was a section of the Southwest Freeway access road in Houston that was posted at 35MPH when, according to all legal requirements, it should have been posted at 45MPH. If you knew this and got a ticket, you could just tell that to the judge and the ticket would be dismissed. The posted speed was unenforceable.

The Houston Police Department continued to write a large volume of 10MPH-or-less-over tickets along that stretch for years even though they knew they shouldn't. Personally, I'm happy to call that a speed trap.

Top Bottom