APOD Firearms

Unmarked police vehicles for traffic stops...Thought?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Cops don't tell you how to your job, so let's leave the decisions about traffic enforcement to those who have at least some idea about doing it.

Uhh, actually they have.

Of course, where I work, we work on the local PD's cars, so... Funny how customers demand a say, huh?

FWIW, I didn't call them stupid, or rant at how they've never done my job and so their opinion is somehow irrelevant. I took their concerns and addressed them. I recognized that they were paying me to do a job, and therefore legitimately had a right to input on how that job was done.

tl;dr: I dismiss your dismissal.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Uhh, actually they have.

Of course, where I work, we work on the local PD's cars, so... Funny how customers demand a say, huh?

FWIW, I didn't call them stupid, or rant at how they've never done my job and so their opinion is somehow irrelevant. I took their concerns and addressed them. I recognized that they were paying me to do a job, and therefore legitimately had a right to input on how that job was done.

tl;dr: I dismiss your dismissal.

They tell me all the time as a truck driver. They ain't never twist the key on a big truck, but they know everything about it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    I was with ya up until the point you said "ticket revenue generation," then you lost me. Sorry, I don't believe in the old "entrapment" argument, the vast majority of people pulled over for speeding are guilty as charged. All the police are doing is enforcing the laws like they are paid to do...

I am not suggesting entrapment but, there are proven cases of that being applicable. Having said that, if I'm actually speeding, write me the ticket. I'll pay it, go about my business, and thank you for your service. But to assume that all or even the vast majority are guilty as charged without due process seems like you think your government is faultless. I am not suggesting there be no traffic enforcement. But, when a city bases its budget projections on an expectation of a given amount of revenue generated by traffic citations, I question the motivation of that government and its agencies basing equipment purchase decisions on said equipment's ability to create more opportunities to write an increased number of citations (i.e. running traffic in an unmarked car when marked cars work just fine).

And while I may not be a cop but, I have had the unfortunate experience of being a fly on the wall when a city controller, mayor, and others to whom a police chief answered, got all giddy because they saw an extra $15 million in a city account at the end of the fiscal year, all from paid traffic citations. Unless you've looked at your city's budget or annual report, you don't really know how much money it's making off ticket revenue or what impact it has on your city's budget to dismiss my claim. That information is often public so it might be worth looking at before you dismiss the notion of this being about revenue. As I see it, if it was just about safety and money was not a concern, you'd never hear any of these people complain their officers weren't writing enough tickets during a budget meeting but, those conversations happen all the time. A cop on the street has nothing to do with decisions and policies written at that level but, his agency's policies and the tools they give the officer to do his job are an expression of the government's goals, which includes revenue generation.

Now, I'll freely admit that every city/county/state is different. Some places can't afford to spend enough on proper enforcement of traffic or their resources are tied up dealing with other issues like gangs and drug trafficking. At the same time, some cities and towns really are just big ass speed traps. This is more often than not, smaller towns expecting to catch travelers who will just pay the fines because they can't justify the expense of coming back to town to go to court. The worst offenders have gotten busted not for using the revenue to pad their budgets because the courts see that as a right of the government but, because the offending local governments failed to send the state a cut of the money they were collecting for writing tickets on state highways or the interstate. Again, enforcement wasn't questioned, it was all about the money.

On a final note, last I checked, we are all free to express an opinion in this country. In this forum, perhaps more than most, we are even expected from time to time to question the actions and motivations of our government and its agents. For those who say anyone who isn't a cop is not entitled to an opinion on this or any other issue as it relates to the private citizen, I am willing to respectfully listen to your opinion if you're willing to listen to mine. We don't have to agree but, I'm not going sit back an quietly enjoy it while you or anyone else urinates on my head and calls it rain.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Sure as hell I read this thread yesterday and thought they didn't use unmarked cars where I live and saw a damn unmarked cop car this morning 3 blocks from my house.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

Treyg73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    I've seen unmarked tan-colored and black Chargers, a silver Tahoe and a black Camaro during my daily drive back and forth down I-10 between DeZavala and West Ave.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Connecticut state trooper

uploadfromtaptalk1374791270755.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom