Guns International

Unmarked police vehicles for traffic stops...Thought?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Or specify "fairly large".
    One incorporated city out here has no police department.
    Call the sheriff.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Was told at the SAPD citizen's academy that police vehicles must have some for of markings to legally pull someone over. That is why the Traffic Division's "stealth" vehicles have very light subdued graphics on them; however, I don't have any basis for that claim nor have I ever been able to find one.

The Texas Transportation Code §721.005 specifically exempts city police vehicles from the requirements of §721.004 which requires inscriptions on municipal and county-owned vehicles.

By the way, the Chargers suck.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    SugarLand has white chargers with white lettering on them. Is that messed up or what?
    Isn't the lettering reflective? If I've seen the sort of paint scheme you're descrbing, they are invisible in daylight but stand out like a Christmas tree in the dark.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    Was told at the SAPD citizen's academy that police vehicles must have some for of markings to legally pull someone over. That is why the Traffic Division's "stealth" vehicles have very light subdued graphics on them; however, I don't have any basis for that claim nor have I ever been able to find one.

The Texas Transportation Code §721.005 specifically exempts city police vehicles from the requirements of §721.004 which requires inscriptions on municipal and county-owned vehicles.

By the way, the Chargers suck.
    You are correct, Texas law was amended to require markings where it previously was not codified. I don't know what agency it was but, there was a brief period in the Houston area during which unmarked cars were being used for traffic stops along I-45 South. You had no idea who was pulling you over until the officer approached your vehicle and identified himself. To me, if nothing else, that's an officer safety problem. The "stealth" vehicles BARELY meet the minimum requirement for markings and my honest opinion is that these cars are less about safety and traffic enforcement than they are ticket revenue generation. Here in Houston, Precinct 5 Constables can readily regulate/enforce traffic speed just by parking a marked unit in plain view of traffic. They did this for a time and only when drivers caught on that the cars weren't moving did anyone start disregarding the speedlimit again. No tickets written but, speeds were enforced without spending the money it would take to have officers in those cars all day.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Having zero LEO experience, let me throw in my 2 cents...

It seems like the unmarked ones should be detectives or someone with a specific specialty who should be using their time to do something other than making stops for traffic violations.

On the flip side, if you're breaking the law in public I don't see why it matters how their car is marked. Its not exactly a violation of your rights if you're going 90 down the freeway and they spot you, especially if you're putting other people in danger swerving around or something.

If fake cops making stops starts to be a problem I might change my opinion. For now, I think we should just try to repeal stupid traffic laws so these guys can focus on more important things. Of course, I should get to decide which traffic laws are "stupid."

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    At least the hippie admits he has zero LE experience.

Guys, this is a non issue. If you are signaled to pull over and are afraid it might not be a LEO, and that happens, then turn on your signals and call 911. Real easy.

Non marked cars have proven to be very effective in stopping the aggressive driver.

And whoever thinks traffic enforcement in but the smallest of towns has anything to do with revenue just has never done any research into to topic.

Cops don't tell you how to your job, so let's leave the decisions about traffic enforcement to those who have at least some idea about doing it.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yeah, how dare we non-LEO's voice opinions about a subject that could (and does) directly affect us...

You were doing well 'till that last sentence, TXI.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    BTW, I would say non-marked cars have proven effective at catching aggressive drivers. Marked vehicles do well at preventing said behavior - at least so long as the marked car is within sight. Any sight of a marked police car causes traffic to immediately slow down to five mph below the posted speed and every lane change is suddenly accompanied by proper signal use.

And that's an issue - the unmarked cars don't have a deterrent effect. Is the goal to write more tickets, or to visibly enforce traffic laws - thereby discouraging illegal behavior?

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Cops don't tell you how to your job, so let's leave the decisions about traffic enforcement to those who have at least some idea about doing it.
    ....and cops don't pay my salary. In this era of gov't out of control, let's remember the citizens pay the bills and are the ones the cops are supposed to "serve and protect."

BTW-please illuminate us all with your data proving that speed traps don't generate lots of revenue.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You are correct, Texas law was amended to require markings where it previously was not codified. I don't know what agency it was but, there was a brief period in the Houston area during which unmarked cars were being used for traffic stops along I-45 South. You had no idea who was pulling you over until the officer approached your vehicle and identified himself. To me, if nothing else, that's an officer safety problem. The "stealth" vehicles BARELY meet the minimum requirement for markings and my honest opinion is that these cars are less about safety and traffic enforcement than they are ticket revenue generation. Here in Houston, Precinct 5 Constables can readily regulate/enforce traffic speed just by parking a marked unit in plain view of traffic. They did this for a time and only when drivers caught on that the cars weren't moving did anyone start disregarding the speedlimit again. No tickets written but, speeds were enforced without spending the money it would take to have officers in those cars all day.

I was with ya up until the point you said "ticket revenue generation," then you lost me. Sorry, I don't believe in the old "entrapment" argument, the vast majority of people pulled over for speeding are guilty as charged. All the police are doing is enforcing the laws like they are paid to do...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    BTW, I would say non-marked cars have proven effective at catching aggressive drivers. Marked vehicles do well at preventing said behavior - at least so long as the marked car is within sight. Any sight of a marked police car causes traffic to immediately slow down to five mph below the posted speed and every lane change is suddenly accompanied by proper signal use.

And that's an issue - the unmarked cars don't have a deterrent effect. Is the goal to write more tickets, or to visibly enforce traffic laws - thereby discouraging illegal behavior?

Sorry, but I drive marked police vehicles all the time, and it always amazes me at how badly people continue to drive even with a marked vehicle plainly in sight...

And while policing is about deterrence, it is also about catching criminals which is where the unmarked cars come into play (as they should).

In my experience in the San Antonio area, there isn't enough traffic enforcement! If revenue generation was the goal (which it isn't), the city could make millions off of all the bad drivers in this city; but they don't so that pretty much disproves the claim!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Maybe it's just San Antonio, Max - up here in DFW it's annoying as hell. Sometimes traffic slows down to fifteen mph below the posted speed, as though it's some elaborate trick and the police are going to magically change the sign to pull everyone over...

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    NYC and new Jersey still use unmarked for patrol units. Maryland might be another. Ct didn't have any marked vehicles. They have metal plaques attached to the bumper

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Before I left Illinois, cops started using unmarked cars for traffic stops. Enterprising thugs began to pull people over with plain cars, beating Hell out of the occupants and robbing them. The public was pissed and refused to stop for the unmarked cars! One poor cop had to pull alongside a car to flash his badge before the driver would stop! They cured the problem by using the unmarked car to set the trap then using a marked car to make the stop.

Flash

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Local problem.
    Local control.
    City council, county commissioner.
    They listen, most of the time.

Top Bottom