• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have a few firearms that are imported. I have a yugo sks, and a german luger 9mm adorned with swastikas and iron eagles and whatnot that had actually been carried by a german officer in WWII. I know for a fact they both contain more that ten parts each, and I know for a fact that all of the parts are imported. So you're saying that I have committed a felony by owning those? I'm really wanting to know here because I have never heard anything like that before.

Yes, you are. I will be by your house tomorrow to confiscate these firearms. It's OK, I work for the Federal government and will take proper care of them...
    Texas SOT

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I have a few firearms that are imported. I have a yugo sks, and a german luger 9mm adorned with swastikas and iron eagles and whatnot that had actually been carried by a german officer in WWII. I know for a fact they both contain more that ten parts each, and I know for a fact that all of the parts are imported. So you're saying that I have committed a felony by owning those? I'm really wanting to know here because I have never heard anything like that before.

I am talking about 922(r), which makes it illegal to assemble certain otherwise banned imported rifles and shotguns. Pistols are N/A and many Yugos are C&R and are/were legally imported.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Three federal felonies a day? Maybe its possible that there are three times the number of federal felonies a day than the total adult population of the U.S...

I may commit infractions daily, mostly pertaining to traffic/parking laws, that I may not notice, but I am fairly certain that I have never committed a federal felony without knowing full well that I was doing it and the possible consequences having been fully considered before I did it.

Don't scoff at me, everybody in here has at one point or another intentionally committed a felony, thus making us all felons, its just most of us havent been caught. :)

To say that most people unintentionally commit three felonies a day is ascinine. Plain and simple.

I bet you (and most of the people here) have accidentally and unknowingly violated the Gun Free School Zone Act. Tons of LEOs violate it, probably daily, since off-duty officers that don't have a CHL (which they don't need according to the LEOSA, so why would they get one?) aren't exempt (even through LEOSA) from it. Neither are people carrying legal and licensed in another state through reciprocity. And the Motorist Protection Act doesn't excuse you, either.

So if you've ever done legal car carry, or carried in a reciprocal state, noticed a school ahead on the road and passed within 1000 feet... That's a federal felony good for up to 5 years, and/or $5,000.

BTW, if you know you're going to pass within 1000 feet of school grounds, you have to have any gun you're not licensed to carry unloaded and locked up. Now who in the great state of Texas locks their guns up in their car? It's not state law that you have to, but it is part of federal law... and nobody knows it.

How many more laws are there like this that we don't know about?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I bet you (and most of the people here) have accidentally and unknowingly violated the Gun Free School Zone Act. Tons of LEOs violate it, probably daily, since off-duty officers that don't have a CHL (which they don't need according to the LEOSA, so why would they get one?) aren't exempt (even through LEOSA) from it. Neither are people carrying legal and licensed in another state through reciprocity. And the Motorist Protection Act doesn't excuse you, either.

Exactly. A simple trip on 75 through Dallas to McKinney can get you 9 felonies in 45 minutes, just based on the schools I know of.

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Exactly. A simple trip on 75 through Dallas to McKinney can get you 9 felonies in 45 minutes, just based on the schools I know of.

Maybe I'm full of shit(common occurance), but aren't interstates and farm to market roads exempt from the 1000ft school zone law, and dosen't that law only apply to certain schools?

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Re: Theory that CHL+Concealed handgun=I can carry an illegal knife/club

I strapped on a Katana and walked down 6th St. already.....
    but due to my stealthy ninja skills no one saw me!

yeah.. wasn't that during A-Con though? not sure that counts.

:)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Maybe I'm full of shit(common occurance), but aren't interstates and farm to market roads exempt from the 1000ft school zone law, and dosen't that law only apply to certain schools?

It applies to all schools - public, private, parochial. FM roads are a Texas thing, so I don't think the feds would bother exempting them, and I didn't see one for interstates, either.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

No. The law is very restrictive, as mentioned, there are few exemptions, even for LEOs.

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm--
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is--
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an
    employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to
    public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Don't want to drag up an argument, but just curious if anyone has heard of any recent arrests or cases regarding this?
    Gun free school zone? Generally, non federal LEOs cannot arrest folks for violations of federal law. What usually happens here is an arrest is made for a Texas offense that is serious enough for the locals to call in the feds for the gun thing.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I meant "illegal knives." I have yet to hear of anyone arrested for it. Just curios if those in LE community have heard anything. I'm guessing no news is good news.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    BTW, if you know you're going to pass within 1000 feet of school grounds, you have to have any gun you're not licensed to carry unloaded and locked up. Now who in the great state of Texas locks their guns up in their car? It's not state law that you have to, but it is part of federal law... and nobody knows it.

How many more laws are there like this that we don't know about?
    I never really thought about that...I have an elementary school I pass by daily when I'm leaving my neighborhood. It just happens to be on the main route out to town. From the road, I am about 100 yds from the school.Even when I take the route that bypasses that school, the other route takes me by the town HS. Never even thought about the fact that I'm carrying. Some days, I have my ride loaded with all my guns and ammo on the way to the range! Been doing that for a few years! lol Damn...well, I guess I better just be EXTRA careful about my speed when I cut through there in the future. I've recently found out that 80% of my local police force doesn't know the gun laws enough to give me advice when I ask around, so I bet if I ever got pulled over and the officer walking along my vehicle saw the back loaded up he would give me a hard time.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My experience is that someone would have to really be an ass to the police, in which case it could happen. I have seen many a gentleman with big knives and taken none to jail. I look at the totality of the circumstance and go from there. I live in a rural area, maybe its different for those in the big city.

You might have more advantageous cops in the big city, but the DAs and Judges are every so inclined to not give 2 seconds on a case like that.

I agree with your "be an ass" comment. I've carried knives in SA that are illegal and in plain view, but I wasn't beaten and tasered over it.

Top Bottom