• ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Re: Theory that CHL+Concealed handgun=I can carry an illegal knife/club

Then how are we expected to be law abiding citizens and stay out of trouble?
    Use common sense and keep your fingers crossed.

No in reality, people should be familiar with laws that apply to THEM. I dont need to know the laws that apply to plumbers, as that is not my field of endeavor. Nor do I need to know real estate law.

If I was going to carry a gun under the color of a CHL I would try to know as much as possible about that area...
    Truck driver's need to know the laws that relate to their field...

I think you get my point.
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Use common sense and keep your fingers crossed.

No in reality, people should be familiar with laws that apply to THEM. I dont need to know the laws that apply to plumbers, as that is not my field of endeavor. Nor do I need to know real estate law.

If I was going to carry a gun under the color of a CHL I would try to know as much as possible about that area...
    Truck driver's need to know the laws that relate to their field...

I think you get my point.

It's actually impossible to keep from violating the law by mistake. People in the US commit an average of four federal felonies a day, without ever realizing it. Depending on the state you live in, that count can go up by a lot. The sheer number of idiotic things illegal in California. For example, they literally will make up a new species just to add it to an endangered list - like the "dusky-footed wood rat." It was just a normal Norwegian brown; or close enough that it's impossible to tell the difference, but it was endangered. Woe to you if the state found out you got one in a trap...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

It's actually impossible to keep from violating the law by mistake. People in the US commit an average of four federal felonies a day, without ever realizing it. Depending on the state you live in, that count can go up by a lot. The sheer number of idiotic things illegal in California. For example, they literally will make up a new species just to add it to an endangered list - like the "dusky-footed wood rat." It was just a normal Norwegian brown; or close enough that it's impossible to tell the difference, but it was endangered. Woe to you if the state found out you got one in a trap...

I for one would like to see where you found that statistic...and don't quote Silverglate, as he pulled that number out his civil-liberties lawyer ass to sell his book! (And even he said it was only three!). It had absolutely no basis whatsoever, and is only to appeal to the tin hat wearing crowd who constantly believe that everyone in the government is out to get them...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

I for one would like to see where you found that statistic...and don't quote Silverglate, as he pulled that number out his civil-liberties lawyer ass to sell his book! (And even he said it was only three!). It had absolutely no basis whatsoever, and is only to appeal to the tin hat wearing crowd who constantly believe that everyone in the government is out to get them...

Was it only three? Oops.

I still find that plausible.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    The Honorable Vince Ryan
    Harris County Attorney
    10 19 Congress, 15th Floor
    Houston, Texas 77002

Dear Mr. Ryan,

As a resident of Harris county and on behalf of several Concealed Handgun License holders I wish to inquire your opinion of the following TX CHL and weapon laws.

I have highlighted the law with the reference to the full law in the link below.

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY. (a) Sections 46.02 and 46.03 do not apply to:
    (b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
    (6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club

PENAL CODE  CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

In your opinion, is it lawful therefore to carry a illegal knife, or club when lawfully and legally carrying a concealed handgun under the concealed handgun license?

Thank you,

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Three federal felonies a day? Maybe its possible that there are three times the number of federal felonies a day than the total adult population of the U.S...

I may commit infractions daily, mostly pertaining to traffic/parking laws, that I may not notice, but I am fairly certain that I have never committed a federal felony without knowing full well that I was doing it and the possible consequences having been fully considered before I did it.

Don't scoff at me, everybody in here has at one point or another intentionally committed a felony, thus making us all felons, its just most of us havent been caught. :)

To say that most people unintentionally commit three felonies a day is ascinine. Plain and simple.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Three federal felonies a day? Maybe its possible that there are three times the number of federal felonies a day than the total adult population of the U.S...

I may commit infractions daily, mostly pertaining to traffic/parking laws, that I may not notice, but I am fairly certain that I have never committed a federal felony without knowing full well that I was doing it and the possible consequences having been fully considered before I did it.

Don't scoff at me, everybody in here has at one point or another intentionally committed a felony, thus making us all felons, its just most of us havent been caught. :)

To say that most people unintentionally commit three felonies a day is ascinine. Plain and simple.

Obviously it depends upon what you do, but most people commit felonies everyday without knowing it.

Every time fire a firearm you may have committed a felony, unless of course you personally counted the number of imported parts it contains and know for a FACT it is 10 or less.

There are countless other ways, but this is one simple example gun-owners could understand.

ETA:

Another, common is to copy, download, whatever music or video. If you ever saw one of those Hitler videos on youtube, than you illegally copied it to your computer when you watched it. Quoted too much text when hotlinking to on on-line article? Copyright Infrignement, another felony.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The Honorable Vince Ryan
    Harris County Attorney
    Houston, Texas 77002

Dear Mr. Ryan,

As a resident of Harris county and on behalf of several Concealed Handgun License holders I wish to inquire your opinion of the following TX CHL and weapon laws.

I have highlighted the law with the reference to the full law in the link below.

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club

PENAL CODEÂ*Â*CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

In your opinion, is it lawful therefore to carry a illegal knife, or club when lawfully and legally carrying a concealed handgun under the concealed handgun license?

Thank you,

I would remove what I highlighted for clarity.

I would also include my person synopsis of how I believe the law applies here.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Obviously it depends upon what you do, but most people commit felonies everyday without knowing it.

Every time fire a firearm you may have committed a felony, unless of course you personally counted the number of imported parts it contains and know for a FACT it is 10 or less.

There are countless other ways, but this is one simple example gun-owners could understand.

ETA:

Another, common is to copy, download, whatever music or video. If you ever saw one of those Hitler videos on youtube, than you illegally copied it to your computer when you watched it. Quoted too much text when hotlinking to on on-line article? Copyright Infrignement, another felony.

Nice try, but most of us don't commit three felonies a day...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Three unintentional felonies a day? I'm one of those folks that believes the government is trying to control you through superfluous laws, but I find the felonies hard to imagine. Replace that with unintentional misdemeanors and it's much more plausible. Misdemeanors are nothing to laugh at... I think you'd find 6mo to a year in jail would really screw up your life.

Unless you live in a bubble, you're breaking some kind of law.

Edit: I'd like to add I don't consider government any more evil than I would a tiger. Given the chance however, they'd both eat me. It's just in their nature.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The Honorable Vince Ryan
    Harris County Attorney
    Houston, Texas 77002

Dear Mr. Ryan,

PENAL CODEÂ*Â*CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Thank you,

You can't seriously be thinking of sending that?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Why would you?

Why would you think a a County DA has any authority to interpret the law for you for free?

If you want legal advice, hire a lawyer.

This is exactly the type of law the DA is responsible to interpret and he'll kick it up the chain if he doens't know. Got to think that the Harris County DA works for the people not a private practice.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    This is exactly the type of law the DA is responsible to interpret and he'll kick it up the chain if he doens't know. Got to think that the Harris County DA works for the people not a private practice.

I am pretty sure he cannot give you legal advice.

I know the State AG cannot.

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas

ETA:

I have a few firearms that are imported. I have a yugo sks, and a german luger 9mm adorned with swastikas and iron eagles and whatnot that had actually been carried by a german officer in WWII. I know for a fact they both contain more that ten parts each, and I know for a fact that all of the parts are imported. So you're saying that I have committed a felony by owning those? I'm really wanting to know here because I have never heard anything like that before.

Top Bottom