• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I'm surprised that this thread has made it 5 pages and no one has mentioned the most salient reason (imho): It's actually not misguided, in that there are millions of current and former service members and law enforcement with hands-on training, often bordering on what others might call an education, even, and a ton of real world experience with the AR platform rifle in 5.56.

While it's not hard to argue that there are a plethora of 'better' options, for the vast, overwhelming majority of people who buy 5.56 firearms and ammo, they either don't know, care, or have simply decided that the .223/5.56 platform and chambering work for their needs.

Some simply refuse to drive a rifle that costs north of $2 a round to run. In normal times 223/556 is about as cheap as it gets for rifle ammo.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Why are American civilians (particularly) in love with this round when there are so many more styles and sizes out there! The round was invented decades ago for combat, to be accurate at mid and longer ranges. If only more people would have instead purchased rifles chambered in different sizes, there would not be such a shortage right now. I do not own a rifle chambered in 5.56, although I have experience firing 5.56. I'm worried for my fellow countrymen who cannot purchase ammo or have to pay much higher prices.
    It does what I need it to with less recoil.
    And I don't give a damn what anyone thinks.
    Yeah but how many US Civilians are going on missions that the 5.56 round was invented for?

Isn't a larger round far more desirable for close range home defense?
    Why would I need to go on missions to own a 5.56/.223? If it will bring down an angry 250 pound man, it will bring down 100 pound game.
    That's a good question. There are some very cool carbines chambered in other sizes. I'm not an expert to say what's best for the average American consumer, all I'm saying is *I don't think 5.56 is the best*

Also there are other platforms aside from the AR.

I feel like people go online and buy an AR chambered in 5.56 as flippantly as they buy a burger or a case of beer, without putting as many hours or weeks of thought into it. Maybe I'm just a nerd that likes to do research about firearms.
    7mm, 8mm....
    So a miss will go through more walls and be lethal?
    Nope, that's just for you know it alls.
    Looks like we got some hard hitters around these parts
    Working pretty well and having probability&statistics&ballistic data to back your caliber of choice are two different things.
    Ahhh,,,,,you must be one of those "only the established science matters" people.
    Do people who would be better suited by a caliber OTHER than 5.56 still purchase a rifle chambered in 5.56? I think so, yes.

Does this hinder others who are better suited with 5.56? Yes
    How would you know what best suits anyone but yourself?????
    You start 2 threads meant to start arguement and then tell someone responding to your assertions to go sit in the corner.

I got one question, what bridge do you live under?

You should see my unpleasant side.
    Well,,,that's kind of what brain dead know it all trolls do.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Do you want to live in a world where we gleefully pat each other on the back all day while our country burns?

Dont worry, Patting you on the back never crossed my mind.
    I have to hand it to you! You display world class mental gymnastics skills. No mere amateur could connect these thing with a straight face.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I am still wondering about how that happened. A military vet friend also does not see how a single 5.56 shot caused that particular damage.
    Hydrostatic shock.

If you look, online, you will see images online of larger muscles hit by 556 rounds that appear to explode like that. As we all know Water doesn't compress, were mostly water or other fluids, and transmits waves of energy easily. If you're already compromising the body with holes the pressure from the round can cause the muscle to do what you see in the video.

I'm not talking about fringe theories about nerve damage from pressure waves etc. I'm saying if bullets it the right muscles they can appear to explode as they pass thru.

Google assault rifle wounds or rifle wounds. You will see wounds that appear to have expressed large amounts of muscle out the exit wound.

There is a thigh wound that looks more like a small explosive went off deep inside it and blew it completely open from just one 556 round.

Last edited:

ArsenalGroyper

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2020
    Houston
    People can’t even grasp what I’m saying and instead are up in arms about a personal attack on 5.56 that I never made.

Texans do not disappoint.

Please continue.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    People can’t even grasp what I’m saying and instead are up in arms about a personal attack on 5.56 that I never made.

Texans do not disappoint.

Please continue.
    I don't think everyone that owns AR's in 556/223 are always into/hardcore about the ballistics or other platforms. That's more geared towards gun enthusiasts aka... gun nuts.

Most folks know it works. They know the military uses it. Supply and demand. They stock pile for SHTF.

If you gave a test to random "gun owners" to list most popular rifles and caliber.... I would bet the majority of answers would be AK 762, AR10 308 and AR15 556- outside of your bolt action and rimfire answers.

Last edited:

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Wtf? Someone left the door open again?

IMG_6069.JPG

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    5.56 is often the default choice due to (usual) ammo availability and price. It also seems to be plenty effective in defense situations without the issues of over penetration that larger caliber rifles have.

There is a shortage of 5.56 and 9mm especially right now due to the high demand driven precisely by the fact that there are so many ARs and 9mm pistols in the wild.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You're on the wrong website.

This isn't BARF.com, so maybe you're the one who's lost!

To the attention whore who started this thread, perhaps a little tact is in order. Honestly, I couldn't give a rat's ass what caliber firearms other people use. It's none of my business.

Secondly, anyone who waits until there is a panic to buy ammo is an idiot and deserves to overpay for it.

Thirdly, lecturing people on what round to buy is also idiotic. It's a personal choice. I also don't own any 5.56/.223 rifles but just because I prefer a more superior caliber doesn't mean I get to talk down to those who are uninformed.

Lastly, quit giving us Kalashnikov owners a bad rap. I suspect you own a bubba'd Yugo SKS and one of those horrible Century-made "AK-patterned" POS rifles, and now somehow think your Ivan Badass!

Top Bottom