• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Last year when we got here, Rog was weird about going back in the timber. After awhile he chilled out, and would run around the whole place. Now all of a sudden he's back to being weird, and balking at going into the trees.
    I haven't seen any hog sign yet this year. Can anyone think of anything else that he may be smelling and scared of?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    We live across the road from a WMA on Sthillhouse Lake. Back when I could I would walk Bait at night along the boundery. She loved her walks and even knew what time we were supposed go. And she would let me know. If I was late too.
    Some nights you could see her nose come up and sniff, and she would go no further. Even if you tried to drag her. Turn and head straight home. Sometimes she would even growl. Only time I have ever heard her growl at anything. There are occasional hogs, coyotes and even at least a couple cougars in the area. Foxes, and other critters, don't bother her.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    We always go about 8am. It's 60 acres in the boonies, surrounded by a 5 strand barbwire fence.
    The trails are wide enough for a side by side, and clear.
    He acted this way when we got here just about this same time last year. So I started carrying him to the back and making him run back. After awhile he just started running the whole way. He stops to pee, and sniff, but no balking.
    A few mornings ago he ran half way, then disappeared. Turns out he was headed back to the house asap.
    All but one morning this week he has run to the edge of the woods and stopped, won't come without A LOT of coaxing, but then only for another couple hundred yards. Then it's stop and argue again..
    Something must have moved into the area recently. Maybe I'll walk or onewheel around and see if I can catch some unusual tracks..

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Is it possible your pup got bit or stung by something while in the woods?

I have a few acres of woods on my property. But the woods are next to my pasture that used to be cross-fenced with electric fencing. I used to take Tater (a Red Heeler) and Lilly (a Great Pyrenees mix) on walks through the woods a few times per week. Well, one time Tater decided to take a shortcut home and hit the electric fence and got lit up pretty good. He has refused to go back there ever since then, regardless of how much I encourage him to come with me.

Similarly, Scarlett (a Doberman / G. Shepherd mix, and the sister of Tnhawk's pup) got bit by the electric fence a few months ago, and she won't go near it either.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Last night y back was bothering me so I parked my fat ass down in the recliner & set it to zero gavity. Renfield laid down net to it as long as I was scratching him. Well fell asleep at some point and was wondering if put him out and forgotten him. Like most old geezers I needed to piss. Walking into the water bedroom I see he has taken it on himself to go to bed. What a mook laying on the other side with his head on a pillow. I guess he just couldn't resist the clean sheets that I washed earlier.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods

I have a few acres of woods on my property. But the woods are next to my pasture that used to be cross-fenced with electric fencing. I used to take Tater (a Red Heeler) and Lilly (a Great Pyrenees mix) on walks through the woods a few times per week. Well, one time Tater decided to take a shortcut home and hit the electric fence and got lit up pretty good. He has refused to go back there ever since then, regardless of how much I encourage him to come with me.

Similarly, Scarlett (a Doberman / G. Shepherd mix, and the sister of Tnhawk's pup) got bit by the electric fence a few months ago, and she won't go near it either.
    Sure. It's possible. But he sticks pretty close to us. And honestly, he's kind of a pansy about getting hurt. Every time he's been hurt it's a YIKE, YIKE, YIKE, drama fest. So I'd almost certainly have heard him. And we've seen no swelling, which is hard to miss on a skinny little fella like him.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    This is Frank. Frank likes getting stuck in the garbage cans at work.

20241011_130857.jpg

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

Bella (sister of Scarlett) is fortunate she hasn't got lit up. As a puppy she liked to chew on the coax to my HF radio antenna. Her only fear is getting wet from the the sprinkler system.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Bella (sister of Scarlett) is fortunate she hasn't got lit up. As a puppy she liked to chew on the coax to my HF radio antenna. Her only fear is getting wet from the the sprinkler system.

You'll be glad to know that the fear of sprinklers must be a family trait. Scarlett loves to run through water puddles and splash water all over her, and she is oblivious to rain. But she is terrified of the sprinklers. Go figure.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    You'll be glad to know that the fear of sprinklers must be a family trait. Scarlett loves to run through water puddles and splash water all over her, and she is oblivious to rain. But she is terrified of the sprinklers. Go figure.
    Bella keeps her distance from the swimming pool. The only water she wants to see is in a bowl or a fountain.

Top Bottom