• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I usually shoot at American Shooting Center, Top Gun or Carter's Country. I've been hearing good things about Shiloh Shooting Range so I'll have to try them soon.

Tex

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I took a level lll class at LSGR and like I've said before It was excellent, and when I want to train I will go back. I go to Eagle peak regularly and have had very few problems with them in the past. from what I understand the ownership has changed a few times as well, I don't know how recently the ownership has changed but it could have after the CHL class you attended Sig fiend. I'm not sure tho just an idea. I go there because they have a nice rifle range that goes from 50 to 300 yards. The only one around here I wont go to is Astro range, and that is because I have heard way to many bad things about them. Stan's is close to Astro and is not bad at all, I go out there every now and then. I would go to LSGR all the time but I can't drive out there from Ceadar park every time I shoot.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    We've gone to Gun Emporium in Conroe a few times. It's outdoors with markers set from 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards. The cost is $8 per gun w/ no time limit. We like it because we can take our kids (the oldest is 8) which we can't do at any of the other ranges due to age restrictions. The staff their is nice and really helpful with us newbies. They also have a skeet range as well.
    We went to Shiloh and really liked their setup as well, I just wish I had had more time to chat instead of having to head straight home (sitter).
    The only other range I've been to is Shooter's Station in Conroe. I like their range , but my wife and I had a bad experience with the employees acting too good for our time. That however is more of a personal thing and not something that would stop me from recommending them to others. I believe their fee is around $12 per shooter.

My personal view on it is this. If I'm just going to shoot just one pistol or my shotgun or take the kids, I'll go to the gun Emporium. If I'm going to shoot more than 1 or 2 of my guns, I'll go to Shiloh. Actually, I'd probably go to Shiloh more if it was a little bit closer.

597newbie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Dallas Fort Worth Gun Range List (including 2 FMJ friendly outdoor ranges)

I'd like to find some place close to Dallas that allows FMJ ammo, is not so worried about things like rapid fire (anything more than 1 rd/sec will get you unwanted range officer attention anywhere other than the place in Huntington), allows actual plinking, and is not frequented by morons apt to shoot you inadvertently.

Or just information about other ranges in the area that I've never been to. I'm in Irving, so closer is better.

edited and updated.
    http://gibsonoutpost.angelfire.com/ http://gibsonout.freewebpage.org/ websites updated geocities closed.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/300YardNoScope
    All of the public gun ranges and private gun ranges I can find in Dallas Fort Worth. I think a few more exist.

Only 2 outdoor full metal jacket ranges I can find. Gibson's Outpost in Mesquite and Magnum in Sanger (allow both magnetic and non magnetic full metal jacket.

Indoor rifle ranges only allow non magnetic full metal jacket in DFW.

Private ranges for 'rapid' fire.

See website and share.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    We have a range at the end of our street, about three hundred yards from the front door. Allows any weapon up to and including .50 caliber. Full auto is fine. Open for use 16-18 hours a day. Only problem is its located a long ride from Texas!!

Oh, and the ammo is free!!

PASR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Opening a New Range

Hello Everyone,

I am planning on opening an indoor range and gun store out West. I have been trying to find the requirements and licenses, but it's a very slow process. I have already applied for FFL (which is not needed for a range BTW), and don't know of any other state requirements. I'd appreciate it if someone knew what else I need to be careful of.

Thanks,
    Tony

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Elm Fork is the only one I've used as I'm new to range shooting. It's not that far, but I'd like to find some place closer.

It's a mess with all the construction, theirs and some major City of Dallas utility work going on, but the part of the range they have open is pretty nice and mostly the new stuff. I've only been a couple of times and each time the fact that they are under new ownership comes up on the range and they they will be incredible by next year when they get everything completed.

I heard there is/was one out closer to me at 1171 and I35W that was in danger of being closed due to road construction or something. There's another even closer, Denton County Sports off 407 in Copper Canyon that is indoor. I'd like to hear feedback on that one before I try them out.

Sounds like they don't have a lot of space, and pricing is by membership and I question the value. Elm Fork is $15 per and outside.

I shoot, as well as my son an daughter @ DCSA. As Greybeard pointed out, it is not a full service range with retail and so forth, but for a place to shoot at your convenience, with a good atmosphere, it can't be beat.

Additionally, I do a fair amount of trap/skeet shooting @ Elm Fork, which is also a fine establishment.

The main rub of living in the metro-mess is the lack of 100M + ranges and the restrictions on FMJ. Maybe in the future, I'll be able to swing a place "out" and set up my own range like another poster did... gotta have ambitions!

Jeff B.

cougartex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    SouthEast Texas Sportsman Club
    Off Hwy 105 between Bridge City & Vidor

Membership $50/year, can bring up to four guests. Three shooting ranges, (handgun, rifle, skeet), all have covered benches. Non-members can purchase a $10 day pass. Club house and classrooms.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Somewhere back by the tree line is a target

Attachments

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 230

PASR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Hello Everyone,

I am planning on opening an indoor range and gun store out West. I have been trying to find the requirements and licenses, but it's a very slow process. I have already applied for FFL (which is not needed for a range BTW), and don't know of any other state requirements. I'd appreciate it if someone knew what else I need to be careful of.

Thanks,
    Tony

So, is there anyone willing to help out a new business man?

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Insurance, and lots of it.

I had an agent tell me one time that you need $500,000 per shooter coverage minimum
    Waivers don't mean squat, you can't sign your rights away.

Get the word out with the LEO's - free range time if in uniform type of thing

You may need an EPA permit for the lead remediation, don't know.
    You will need a sales tax certificate from the state comptrollers office
    I would not put any part of the business in your name, put it in a Corporations name.
    Attorney time for that.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Just installed another gong target stand. Need to do some cleanup and finish work, but that puts me at:

10" AR500 Steel Plate at the North East berm 1585 yards from the barn
    Full Size Metric IPSC Steel Target at the North berm 1490 yards from the barn
    10" AR500 Steel Plate on a mobile stand that can be put wherever I want between the berm and the barn

I've still never actually shot from the barn (and probably never will..) but it's nice to know I've got all the distance I need. All I need now is a windsock...

Top Bottom