• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    as far as the "pep talk" ,.. working at a range for a short peroid of time, i've seen all kinds of people, civilian and law enforcement/military, do dumb things when it comes to firearms. we at shiloh give the pep talk but its more of a friendly reminder to not shoot up or down, but str8 into the trap, and to not hurt yourself or anyone else.

as far as ammo inspection, some people do not know the difference from brass and steel so i can understand, but i agree some ranges do take it to a whole 'nother level.
    Guns International

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    htxred, I understand dumb things happen to knowledgeable people, I committed a couple of boneheaded things just this week! But without questioning a customer's training and experience, I think it was a little over the top to routinely include the warning "if for any reason the firearm fails to shoot, eject or load a round, the shooter is required to lay it on the counter in front of them and stand still with both hands raised until a member of the staff comes to your aid".

I almost busted a gut trying not to laugh out loud. :D If you promise not to explain how to hold my weapon and which end the bullet exits, I'll come and visit Shiloh. ;)

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    htxred, I understand dumb things happen to knowledgeable people, I committed a couple of boneheaded things just this week! But without questioning a customer's training and experience, I think it was a little over the top to routinely include the warning "if for any reason the firearm fails to shoot, eject or load a round, the shooter is required to lay it on the counter in front of them and stand still with both hands raised until a member of the staff comes to your aid".

I almost busted a gut trying not to laugh out loud. :D If you promise not to explain how to hold my weapon and which end the bullet exits, I'll come and visit Shiloh. ;)
    no no. we just explain how not to hit a target hanger or target line :)

SteveW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    CZ guy said : "the "pup" asked to SEE all my ammo so he could be assured I was not in possession of lead bullets"

I might have missed the plot here. You can't shoot lead bullets ?
    Like, home cast semi wadcutters in a 38 ? Like, lead 265gr bullets from a Webley .455 ?

I have seen some ranges get 'wadded up' about FMJ or steel cased rifle bullets, but just plain old lead handgun bullets ?

S.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    No sir, no home-cast bullets or lead wadcutters. That is the second time I'd run across that so it must be the coming trend. The first guy at a little indoor range on FM2351 in Friendswood politely told me everything must have a copper jacket.

I hear the disposal of lead contaminated material is so regulated and expensive now, it is easier to just not allow it.

Cody302

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    CZ guy,SteveW, I had the very same thing happen to me. Only,I bought some Super ammo from them while I was there. From the moment I walked in the door the "oooh to coooool" twerp with the double mag pouch, gave me an attitude like...'what are you doing here?'. It just felt like somehow my wanting to shoot was inconveniencing everyone,not to mention the pre-range de-motivational speech. It also didn't help that it cost me a small fortune for 45minutes of FTRB's.It was just really uncomfortable.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    When I was shopping for my first gun, I went to Top Gun Range in Houston because it has a wide selection of rentals. When I decided to buy, I wanted a place where I could ask plenty of questions without pressure. That's why I chose Shiloh Shooting Range.

T3hk1w1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    When I started shooting my father's rifles at the tender age of about 10, we always went to Hot Wells. Nowadays I go to several places.
    Shiloh for handguns(great staff, great facility, decent prices). The only disadvantage is no steel-cased ammo. (no milsurp :( )
    Hot wells is still my rifle range, when I get around to dragging the longguns out of the safe. Its an interesting place. Unfortunately a big subdivision was built directly downrange several years back, and they have had to implement some kinda severe restrictions to prevent idiots from shooting over the berms, one of these is a screen that prevent the barrel from being elevated enough to shoot over the berm, but it prevents use of a Lead Sled.
    Been to Carter's country on treashwig a couple times, nice but a bit of a drive for me.
    Also been to the Angelina range up in Lufkin once, liked what I saw of it. :D

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Thank you lad. I now have a new Rowdy.
    000_0156.gif

Been hunting one of these 3" fixed sites to carry for about 3 yrs now.
    I think of you often & get the pics out occasionally too.
    Remember this one.;)
    000_0011.jpg

Cody302

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    http://www.texas-city-tx.org/ShootingRiflePistolRules.htm

In the above link you will find a map and directions under the Hours of Operation tab. You will also find pictures and more information.

Rifle Pistol Skeet Trap

Great bunch of people shoot there. There is a service rifle match every third Saturday, Shoal Point Rifle Club. They shoot alot of surplus types. The range is very clean and in order. My family and I shoot there regulary.

100 yard rifle. Pistol 3-25 yards.

My Mom just bought a house right on the edge of the bay, and as we were going out for some Speck's the other morning I kept hearing......pac!........pac pac pac!..........pow!pow!. With a perplexed look on my face I said "What the hell is that??". Mom said..."There's a range right over over there Dumb-Dumb!!!". So I may have to go give them a look see.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Well my range isn't listed on your list of Texas Gun ranges...

MSA: Midland Shooters Association ( http://www.midlandshooters.com/ )

I've never been much on clubs but I don't regret joining this one. The fee was 100.00 when I joined but I think it's 125.00 a year now. Either way it's money well spent. You get 24/7 access and can shoot sun up to sun down. There is some people living around the club so we try not to stay out to late. They allow legal NFA weapons and 50cals. The 50's are kept to the 300yrd range ( there is a small part of which they have a plate mounted at 500yrds on it) and full autos are kept to Range N...I think it's mostly for small claibers like 9mm and 45 ACP etc.

Anyhow, I'm there every chance I get,
    Ray

xaiver56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Wife and I have been shooting at TargetMasters in Garland for almost 2 years now. The staff is very friendly and although the range might look rundown they have been improving steadily. I will never shoot at Bullet Trap again for reasons I cannot disclose, but I know several people who love the place.

15.00 dollars in range fees for a non-member is high, but I have ALWAYS had a good experience there!

Cody302

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Well my range isn't listed on your list of Texas Gun ranges...

MSA: Midland Shooters Association ( http://www.midlandshooters.com/ )

I've never been much on clubs but I don't regret joining this one. The fee was 100.00 when I joined but I think it's 125.00 a year now. Either way it's money well spent. You get 24/7 access and can shoot sun up to sun down. There is some people living around the club so we try not to stay out to late. They allow legal NFA weapons and 50cals. The 50's are kept to the 300yrd range ( there is a small part of which they have a plate mounted at 500yrds on it) and full autos are kept to Range N...I think it's mostly for small claibers like 9mm and 45 ACP etc.

Anyhow, I'm there every chance I get,
    Ray

24/7!! Now that would be the dogs BOLLOCKS right there jack!! A buck twenty five a year and don't behave like an idiot...................I'm all over it. Now could y'all just move it........ over to Houston..............pleez?

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    Parker County Sportsman Club

Parker County Sportsman Club Welcome

A great private club range; only $70/year for an unlimited use family membership. You get a key to the facility and can shoot any time during daylight. We have two pistol and rimfire ranges, 100-yard and 275-yard rifle ranges, and a real nice trap and skeet facility. An outstanding value.

I finally joined - what a great range and great atmosphere.
    $50 enrollment fee
    $100 for a family + guest membership for a full year ($70 for family only)
    expectation of each member to contribute to the club by donating time to improve the facilities

range one allows drawing from holster/concealment - a must for any CHL holder. range one is currently being upgraded.

No unnecessary rules, just common sense.

$70 for a FULL YEAR with family! $100 for a FULL YEAR with family AND guests allowed to accompany you! Your own key to the range (daylight shooting hours only) - BARGAIN!

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Lone Star Gun range in Lockhart is 13.00 per day. The sun tends to set right in your eyes after 2pm, so get there early. Went there after 3pm Sunday and it was no fun.

roy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    For indoor ranges, I'll go to Sportsman's shooting Center in Friendswood or Pasadena Gun Center in Pasadena. I haven't been there in a llong time, but Marksman Shooting range in South Houston is a good place. For shooting rifles outdoors, I go to Bailey's or Clear Creek.

I mostly go to Marksman for pistol caliber shooting, Pasadena Gun Center
    for rifle although it is only 25 yards. I don't know of any 100 yard + public range in Houston area which doesn't charge by the gun!..... I really resent this.
    I have only seen this in the Houston area, the ranges I have been to in other
    cities/states don't try to rob you this way. They charge by the hour or day.
    Someone who only wants to shoot one gun takes up a full lane, just like one who wishes to fire several different weapons during a range visit......I sometimes end up with several guns after a really good fun/gunshow, would like to put a few rounds through each to get a feel for them, figure which ones to keep. I also collect older military arms not all of which I even shoot, depending on condition and how much of a pain finding correct ammo is......I may wish to fire 5 or 10 rounds through an old gun just to
    see what this type of rifle or pistol is like to shoot........
    If I spend 3 hours taking up a lane firing a few shots each through several
    weapons why should I have to pay vastly more than someone next to me
    who is there for the same length of time shooting one rifle; having trouble adjusting his sights, trying many different loads, etc?

Top Bottom