• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    In '82, when I went back to school, the physics teacher recommended we all buy a Casio ft-3600p calculator, which I did.
    It had the capacity to program 2 different formulas.
    I did one for converting numeric numbers to binary.
    Other students started to complain that I was unfairly using it during exams, even the ones who had purchased the same calculator. So the instructor forbid the use of all calculators on the next exam.
    I still got a higher score than anyone in the class...
    It's not the tool, it's knowing how to use it.
    Same applies to shooting, or machine work.
    I see cops empty their glucks, and never hit their target, and 'machinists' with the best machine tools available, make nothing but scrap, while good ones take perps out with a single round, and good machinists make precision parts on old, worn out equipment.

By the way, that Casio lasted 40+ years, when the button contacts wore out, but fortunately, I found a new one, still in the box on eBay.

Around that same time, I bought my first computer, a Timex Simplex 1000, that I don't think I had more than a few months, before stepping up to a Texas Instruments, TI99.

One of the programs I had written for the Casio, was a two-cycle tuned pipe program, that I had been using for 10 years, but with a normal calculator, it took a lot of steps, and paper to finally get to the finished pipe dimensions.
    Later I wrote that program on the TI99, and was streamlined so I could just enter the RPM, port timing, and how wide I wanted the power band, and step through it, have the numbers within a minute or two. Then that was rewritten to run on a 386 pc.
    The last pipes I built using it was back around '93, when I was still racing, and building pipes for others.
    One of them was for the 250cc super kart that won the S.W. Road Racing Championship that year.

1722625310842.png

1722625485525.png

1722625644839.png

Attachments

• ExpansionChamber.gif
      ExpansionChamber.gif
      10.7 KB · Views: 37
    • ExpansionChamber.gif
      ExpansionChamber.gif
      10.7 KB · Views: 27
    Last edited:

Bigguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2024
    Texarkana
    In '82, when I went back to school, the physics teacher recommended we all buy a Casio ft-3600p calculator, which I did.
    Other students started to complain that I was unfairly using it during exams, even the ones who had purchased the same calculator. So the instructor forbid the use of all calculators on the next exam.
    I see cops empty their glucks, and never hit their target, and 'machinists' with the best machine tools available, make nothing but scrap, while good ones take perps out with a single round, and good machinists make precision parts on old, worn out equipment.

By the way, that Casio lasted 40+ years, when the button contacts wore out, but fortunately, I found a new one, still in the box on eBay.

Around that same time, I bought my first computer, a Timex Simplex 1000, that I don't think I had more than a few months, before stepping up to a Texas Instruments, TI99.

One of the programs I had written for the Casio, was a two-cycle tuned pipe program, that I had been using for 10 years, but with a normal calculator, it took a lot of steps, and paper to finally get to the finished pipe dimensions.
    Later I wrote that program on the TI99, and was streamlined so I could just enter the RPM, port timing, and how wide I wanted the power band, and step through it, have the numbers within a minute or two. Then that was rewritten to run on a 386 pc.
    The last pipes I built using it was back around '93, when I was still racing, and building pipes for others.
    One of them was for the 250cc super kart that won the S.W. Road Racing Championship that year.

View attachment 465623
    View attachment 465624
    View attachment 465625
    When I took Major's Chemistry in college, we had to buy something similar. The one they wanted us to get was from Texas Instruments. Even used, you just about had to take out a loan to get one. I bought mine from a guy who had taken the class the semester before, then it due course passed it on when I finished.

The first computer like device I had the opportunity to mess with was a programable plotter calculator used by the engineering department. It didn't have a monitor, but drove a stylus pen over over a flat surface that you clipped paper to. It would draw out wire framed images of shapes you mathematically described. I wasn't taking the class so was just playing, and don't really understand what they were doing with it.

The first computer I bought was to run a little Insurance agency I'd bought. It was a Trash-80 model III. 48K RAM with two 5 1/4" floppy drives. They were held 360K if I remember correctly. It used the Z80 processor.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Used a slide rule, still have a couple. The K&E log log models could do some neat things, and very quickly. Used calculating machines, of course.

Used hard earned money to buy the first TI programmable calculator, the SR56. That was living high on the hog. Quicker than using the logarithmic tables.

Stored programs on paper tape, then punch cards. Mag strips for HP programmable calculators. Used time share computers.

At work, used the early Osborne toteable, first Apples, first IBM XT model.

Loved Lotus when it came out, had good advantages over Visicalc. Norton was fantastic, a real lifesaver. More than once had to talk a co-worker off the ledge after they accidentally hit /D (think that is what it was) and irretrievably deleted their spreadsheet in the early spreadsheet software.

Programmed in Basic, Algol, Fortran, PL1, Borland Turbo Pascal, C++. Tiny bit of assembly. Can't remember now if I ever did any Cobol. Really liked PL/1.

Remember buying a PC in the early days. Co-worker encouraged me to get the big hard drive (10 or 15 MB?). I protested that I could never fill up that much storage. But heeded his advice in the end. And in less than a year was adding a second hard drive...

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015

View attachment 465623
    View attachment 465624
    View attachment 465625
    I remember that one too. My wifes uncle worked at TI and brought one home once

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    HPs here. HP 65, HP 67, HP 41C, HP 48C. I have a Curta mechanical calculator too.
    I had HP 41CV envy in engineering classes ( I used a Casio scientific) I later worked for HP, so finally got one. I now use an emulator version on the PC.

ETA - your Curta has a very interesting history. I watched them on eBay for a while, saw what they sold for, moved on.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    My first (sort of) laptop.
    trs80-100.jpg

I did all sorts of crazy stuff with this little 8kb machine. I later expanded the memory to a whopping 32kb.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon! FKH
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    I had HP 41CV envy in engineering classes ( I used a Casio scientific) I later worked for HP, so finally got one. I now use an emulator version on the PC.

ETA - your Curta has a very interesting history. I watched them on eBay for a while, saw what they sold for, moved on.
    I used an HP 41C(X? V?) in high school and college. I didn't bother with programming on it for classes. I did write some programs for a construction company around that time; they might still be using them. :)
    The Curta is fun, but it's mostly a paperweight now. It's around here somewhere.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    We had a Pet at high school, but mostly Ohio Scientific.

View attachment 465745

View attachment 465744
    I had an 8k Pet I got in 1981 at a garage sale for $25. It wasn't working. If I remember correctly the only issue was the connector to the CRT tube came loose shich took me about 5 minutes to diagnose and fix. The one I got had the crappy Chicklet keyboard though.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I had an 8k Pet I got in 1981 at a garage sale for $25. It wasn't working. If I remember correctly the only issue was the connector to the CRT tube came loose shich took me about 5 minutes to diagnose and fix. The one I got had the crappy Chicklet keyboard though.
    1981 or 1991? Was a good price. That connector is called the flyback and can has some juice if you aren't careful.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    My first home computer was a TI-99/4A. I use a cassette recorder to store my programs instead of manual entry every time.

My first job we made a closed-loop motor controller using a Motorola MC68HC05 controller. We used an Apple IIc and an emulator board to develop the code in assembly language using Magic Window word processor software.
    Ha, we had that model too. With a speech synthesizer to boot. I was a kid then, and it look probably 5 minutes to key in the code for the synthesizer to work. Monthly though we played video games. Munch man was the PAC-MAN knockoff they had

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've got four or five IBM Selectrics I'd be willing to part with. I typed all of my high school and college papers on them when all my friends were using PC's. None of them currently work, but all of them are complete and not missing any parts.

Top Bottom