• ...and so much more!
  • Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I worked at a computer store in college and sold Kaypro Luggables that ran CP/M - the predecessor to DOS. The keboard would latch over the monitor for transport. They ran a single floppy that you'd boot it up with, then swap floppies to the program disk. 8-bit processors and no more than 64 kilobytes of memory. No hard drives as they were huge and a fortune. Winchester Hard drives, they were called back then as the model was to have 2 disks 30-30 MB!

We used to repair them at the chip- level using logic probes as DIP chips would be socketed. This was back in '85 and at the end of lifecycle. My personal first was a Ti 99/4a in late 70's. Then the Timex Sinclair.

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 19-58-40 kaypro luggable at DuckDuckGo.png

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 19-59-22 kaypro luggable at DuckDuckGo.png

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I worked at a computer store in college and sold Kaypro Luggables that ran CP/M - the predecessor to DOS. The keboard would latch over the monitor for transport. They ran a single floppy that you'd boot it up with, then swap floppies to the program disk. 8-bit processors and no more than 64 kilobytes of memory. No hard drives as they were huge and a fortune. Winchester Hard drives, they were called back then as the model was to have 2 disks 30-30 MB!

We used to repair them at the chip- level using logic probes as DIP chips would be socketed. This was back in '85 and at the end of lifecycle. My personal first was a Ti 99/4a in late 70's. Then the Timex Sinclair.

View attachment 465494

View attachment 465493
    I remember the Kaypro. I lived about 2 miles from where I believe their main location was in Solana Beach.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    My first was a company assigned Compaq Portable III, lunch box. Looked like this in use. If you bumped it when in use, you lost everything, and got the blue screen of death. then reboot it
    View attachment 465496
    You had the nice newer one. I had the giant suitcase one my company gave me:
    1722562587800.png

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    In 2014, Bonhams put a rare Apple-1 computer up for auction in New York. Estimated to go for between $300,000 and $500,000, it ended up selling for a whopping $905,000.

In 2015, an Apple II in "fine condition" fetched $4,687 at a Nate D. Sanders auction.

In 2017, Auction Team Breker sold an Apple Lisa for $50,300.

An original 1984 Mac (Macintosh 128K) will generally go for anywhere between $1,500 and $2,000."

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I remember that.
    I worked for Coleco back then, although it was a few years before the Adam. Video games, pinball, shoot and score game, there main moneymaker I believe was the pools. They had some pools set up with furniture for the photo shoots with models. At night we would go swimming in the pools.

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    larrymcluncut-1673504006349.jpg

All I remember about old tech is Leisure Suit Larry was too suggestive and I am convinced that code was the downfall of the traditional American family.

Prove me wrong . . . .
    That's hilarious. I remember the age test at the start to make sure you were old enough to play.
    "Ricky, Lucy, Fred, and ___________."

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Not exaackerly a “computer’’ per-se; but, it was.

Dad’s boat had a TI9100 LORAN for navigation.

We had usually reached our destination before the course could be programmed into the ‘’box’.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County

View attachment 465494

View attachment 465493
    I worked at Texas Instruments so first PC was the TI PC. Then I remember their dual o/s PC that ran os/2 since that Microsoft thing probably wouldn't catch on. I recall attending a class once time at their laptop facility in Temple back in the early to mid-90s. Oddly enough, several years after leaving one of my major software vendors was location in Temple. Being oncall in the 80's was fun with a dummy terminal and maximum 1200 baud modem was mostly a waste since it was so slow, best to just drive into work.

TI had their luggable which was very similar and had a Winchester drive. That thing was heavy and you'd go blind trying to use the tiny screen. But I also supported issues where vendors used the old silent 700 computers.
    TI_Luggable.jpg
    Silent 700.jpg

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mosingirl
    Top Bottom