• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C

CabbitOne

Why is that? Simply due to the heavy clothing factor?
    Side note* This is for my wife not myself.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Cost for one;

Also, the TASER shoots two probes into the attacker. Those probes are attached by wire to the TASER unit. Once you TASE a person, the civilian versions give a 30 second shock. This gives time to escape, but you must leave the TASER behind to do so. If you miss or he has too thick of clothing you are then SOL.

C

CabbitOne

For everyday carry, I could see pepper spray over a taser. However in a crowded school room it seems like the spray could cause a lot of issues. Also it has a shorter range. And the taser seems like it would be easier for an experienced shooter to use in a panic situation.

Man it'd be nice if we had campus carry.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Your chances of needing anything in a crowded school room are much less than when she is alone.

Ultimately you will have to make the choice. Best of luck to ya'll.

C

CabbitOne

Yeah... I didn't really think about the more than one hostile... hmm...

And the school room is the only place it would come into use, she carries a firearm everywhere else.

Thanks for all the input.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    the civilian tasers arent much we used to shock each other with the ones they sell at academy as a joke all the time. we never shot the probes out but if its at strong as the regular stun gun effect id look at something else.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    the civilian tasers arent much we used to shock each other with the ones they sell at academy as a joke all the time. we never shot the probes out but if its at strong as the regular stun gun effect id look at something else.
    What you are referring to is know as a "drive stun" and even with a police issued TASER it is not incapacitating, it is a pain complaince tool.
    Now if you actually discharge the probes and get a decent spread between where both probes impact....the assailant is screwed, the fight IS over. the key is getting the two probes to be 12 or more inches apart.

TASERS are very effective if you can score a hit, but it is a one shot weapon (unless you have the new X3 which is a 3 shot semi auto TASER). For civilian use, I think pepper spray is a far better choice. It can be used effectively when your attacker is right on top of you which is usually where they are when you realiize you need a weapon.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

The civilian versions of the TASER are just as effective as the LE versions. Using them (any of them) as a stun Gun (direct contact rather than the probes) is not very effective.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Cost for one;

Also, the TASER shoots two probes into the attacker. Those probes are attached by wire to the TASER unit. Once you TASE a person, the civilian versions give a 30 second shock. This gives time to escape, but you must leave the TASER behind to do so. If you miss or he has too thick of clothing you are then SOL.

Agreed. Don't rely on either to put someone out of a fight, though. I've seen too many videos of people fighting through either of them to trust them. IMO a good pair of running shoes is better.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Agreed. Don't rely on either to put someone out of a fight, though. I've seen too many videos of people fighting through either of them to trust them. IMO a good pair of running shoes is better.

I have seen videos of people getting shot with a firearm and continuing to fight too. I have seen nobody fight through a shot from a Taser X26 that had both probes score good hits. (With a good hit) It creates neuro-muscular disruption. You cant control your muscles. I have seen lots of failures from one probe hitting and one getting stuck in a jacket and not making contact.

I cant run fast so the running shoes would help me much less than the TASER. And a TASER has kept me out of many a fight when it was time for someone to go to jail. I still recommend pepper spray for the masses.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Aint no law againt carry on of these!
    Flare_gun.jpg

Top Bottom