• Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe

Ballistic Gelatin Testing Results​

With ballistic gelatin testing using FBI-standard blocks, results are mixed. Some loads, like the Federal one-ounce slug, show impressive penetration depth comparable to full-size counterparts (around 22″), whereas others, such as the Federal Force X2, exhibited borderline performance that could potentially limit their effectiveness in real-world scenarios.

To sum it up: if deep penetration is your primary concern then standard-size shells would likely serve you better, especially at longer distances or through barriers; however if capacity holds higher priority for you then consider giving these mini-shotgun shells a try.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    MG, I have two Mossberg 500 pistol grip, 18" barrel shotguns at hand.
    With low recoil buck they are fine.
    I have found the correct way to shoot these from the hip....DO NOT hold them down low like a pistol! Turn your hand to the outside, palm up, like Crocodile Dundee checking the package. Think holding it like a shouldered shotgun, then rotating to the outside 90 degrees as you let the gun diwn ti hip level. It is far easier to control, and not hard on the wrist or hand. It is easier to hold up in place, don't brace it on your hip, let it recoil and swing...it points rather well also.
    Texas Gun Trader often has Mossberg 500s and Maverick 88s at great prices.

Joe
    I hold the grip in my right hand and hold downward on top of the weapon with my left hand.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    The only point to wanting a mini shell is increased capacity.

I find most mini shells to have a slightly worse recoil impulse than an equivalent full size round since mini shells have less wadding to absorb the energy

When I used Aguila mini-shells in my Stoeger Coach Gun, the recoil was less than a standard 2 3/4" load of the same shot type. The gun also ejected the mini-shells easier than the standard shells. And I could carry two mini-shells in a butt cuff loop that would only hold one standard shell.

That said....I still prefer 20ga. and .410 as low-recoil alternatives....

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    When I used Aguila mini-shells in my Stoeger Coach Gun, the recoil was less than a standard 2 3/4" load of the same shot type. The gun also ejected the mini-shells easier than the standard shells. And I could carry two mini-shells in a butt cuff loop that would only hold one standard shell.

That said....I still prefer 20ga. and .410 as low-recoil alternatives....

The aguila loads are, iirc similar to handicap loads.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    A coach gun is on my list. I really like my mossberg 590S shockwave. It's a lot of fun with mini shells. I added talon grip tape, a surfire foreend/light, velcro ammo side holder and a ndz safety. I've gotten pretty dang good with it at inside the house range. It sits cruiser ready in the bedroom along with and AR and my edc.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Shot some here yesterday; Shockwave and a couple of ? in 12ga, a little Mossberg 410 pump that felt like nothing after the 12s...nothing in 20ga to try. Finished the afternoon ringing steel with my 9mm Equalizer & .22 S&W revolver. Fun day. :)

Last edited:

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    A coach gun is on my list. I really like my mossberg 590S shockwave. It's a lot of fun with mini shells. I added talon grip tape, a surfire foreend/light, velcro ammo side holder and a ndz safety. I've gotten pretty dang good with it at inside the house range. It sits cruiser ready in the bedroom along with and AR and my edc.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    It has no hammers

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    main-qimg-49c18a81276ae0e348223033bc787748-lq.jpeg

Top Bottom