Ten Oaks
    By close range I mean up to 15 feet.
    Home defense only
    Inflict most hurt possible
    Stock braced against my hip
    Pump, lever, bolt - doesn't matter
    Grab point pull, so always ready to fire
    Safety not a bad idea, if such exists

Any suggestions on a gun, and what load would be good for that distance would be very much appreciated.

ARJ Defense ad

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    If you're not hunting or doing shotgun games (clays, 3-Gun, etc.), it's hard to beat a full-size .410 for HD. I have a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel that handles possums and raccoons with #4 birdshot and bigger critters with OOO Buck Federal Handgun load. Recoil is really low. Only downside is ammo availability.

If recoil is a bigger issue than having a shotgun, a Ruger 10-22 or Charger with a 25-rd magazine might be a better choice....

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Stoeger coach gun.
    Available in 12, 20, and 410. I'd recommend a 20ga.
    Ammo - #1 buckshot or BB lead. NOT slugs.
    Two quick shots without manipulation or noise. At close range, as per your specification, two shots should take care of business.
    Add a stock cuff to hold a few extra rounds.
    These aren't terribly expensive or hard to acquire. Can be utilized as a hunting gun if need be.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I wouldn't consider anything other than a 12 gauge, but only because of ammo availability. If you're worried about recoil on the 12 gauge, they make low-recoil Buckshot loads that they don't make for any other gauge. Search for .410 or 20 ga buckshot. Really hard to find. You'll always be able to find 12ga ammo. Pump shotguns are inexpensive and reliable. I'd just buy something like a 12ga Mossberg Maverick. They are less than $250 at Academy. If you can't find the ammo you want order it online.

I use a Remington 870 pump in 20ga. I bought a case of buckshot because it was so hard to find 20 ga buckshot. Remingtons are not what they once were so don't get hung up on brands here. Pump shotguns are pretty generic. Most of them are made overseas anyway.

A semi-automatic shotgun will have a lot less recoil and the ammo you select will make little difference in recoil. But they are more expensive and might be less reliable.

If you don't want a shotgun, go with a Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC) in 9mm for the same reasons, ammo cost and availability. But for dealing out a world of hurt you can't beat a shotgun. Plus you could buy two or three Mossbergs for the price of a PCC.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    granny clampett.jpg

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Single trigger coach gun would be a great option. Stoeger makes a version that has a rail to attach a light

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    She's still watching coach gun vids, so far she's leaning towards double. You have any thoughts on that aspect?

Double trigger IMO.
    A single trigger gun can have issues. Some of them rely on recoil to cock the second barrel.
    If you have a dud fire the second barrel will not fire either. Also, if the trigger fails, which is unlikely, both barrels are down.
    Double triggers are two separate triggering mechanisms. Each barrel has its own system. If one barrel fails you have another right there.
    Of course you'll need to practice a bit to ensure smoothness on trigger transition.
    This is where a 20ga with plain old WallyMart bird loads wins.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    By close range I mean up to 15 feet.
    Home defense only
    Inflict most hurt possible
    Stock braced against my hip
    Pump, lever, bolt - doesn't matter
    Grab point pull, so always ready to fire
    Safety not a bad idea, if such exists

Any suggestions on a gun, and what load would be good for that distance would be very much appreciated.

I made the mistake of bracing my sawed off 12 gauge like in the movies.
    It took me a couple days to get over that as far as walking, I carried a bruise for a month or so,

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    MG, I have two Mossberg 500 pistol grip, 18" barrel shotguns at hand.
    With low recoil buck they are fine.
    I have found the correct way to shoot these from the hip....DO NOT hold them down low like a pistol! Turn your hand to the outside, palm up, like Crocodile Dundee checking the package. Think holding it like a shouldered shotgun, then rotating to the outside 90 degrees as you let the gun diwn ti hip level. It is far easier to control, and not hard on the wrist or hand. It is easier to hold up in place, don't brace it on your hip, let it recoil and swing...it points rather well also.
    Texas Gun Trader often has Mossberg 500s and Maverick 88s at great prices.

Joe

Top Bottom