• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I used to do 10k with Amsoil and their filter in my 07 F150.

I was never comfortable with it, and it was not cost effective for me. I switched back to a 5K interval with mobile one and a Motorcraft filter

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Once a year on all vehicles. Don't drive much so it works out to 1,200 to 3,000 miles depending on which vehicle. I'm wondering if I can go 2 years with the synthetics I use. Still have to take them in annually for damn state inspection tho, so might as well let them change the oil too.

Last edited:

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    I bought a used vehicle from a recent widow (mother of my neighbor).

An ‘05 Chevy Trailblazer with about 140k on it. Garage kept and very nice shape for the year.

When I bought it, I knew that the oil pressure gauge fluctuated when the engine was warm and you came to a complete stop. It would drop to zero, bounce back up to 40, drop halfway down, drop all the way down, then bounce back up to 40, etc. i’ve been down that road before, and figured it was the oil pressure sending unit. I took a gamble.

I ordered the sending unit, and the special socket tool, off Amazon. It came in a couple of days ago. I decided to replace the sending unit and do an oil-change at the same time. Sticker on the inside of the window indicated it was about time so I thought I’d knock it all at the same time.

Within five minutes of getting the vehicle up on ramps, I had the sending unit replaced.

Drained the oil. Now I’m only 10 minutes into the job, and ready to remove the filter. Four different oil filter wrenches, a vice grip chain type included, and I have yet to budge the filter after 45 minutes of grunting, cursing, and contorting! The only reason I didn’t just break down and drive a screwdriver through it is because there wasn’t any room to do it!

Yes, I finally got the blasted thing off and replaced. As soon as I get finished and cleaned up, I’m thinking about taking a baseball bat to town and visiting that quickie lube place. What in the hell are these guys thinking?

Updated to add that I just took the vehicle on a 20 mile road trip, and the oil-pressure sending unit replacement seems to have done the trick.
    I wonder if it's a trick they use to make the vehicle comes back to them for oil changes?

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    Then they are doing it wrong. I tend not to return to flying monkey auto repair if I can avoid it.
    Yep. I let the dealer do mine. Their three oil change and tire rotation package is cheaper than the hack oil change places. I pay $130 for three changes [I drive A LOT...35k a year]. That works out to $43.50 a change [full synthetic] and it costs more than that for my truck [Ram Rebel] at the quickie places.
    Bonus is it also shows the factory extended warranty guys that no one else has ever been servicing the truck and prevents them from tossing out a potential warranty fix because someone else did something wrong.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Never change oil at 10k. Some engines, even Toyotas, have bit the dust because of 7000 plus mile oil changes.

The information out there is what it is…and y’all do what you want. When a mechanic pops the valve cover on an engine that regularly had 7500k oil changes and it’s sludged up (pump was fine) I believe that over factory recommended service. Gotta remember the industry lies to keep you coming in for service.

In all trucks I had, I changed my diff and Bruce Jenner fluid every 40k. I always had zero issues once higher mileage was reached.

Again, y’all do what you want. I don’t believe the lies these manufacturers and dealers pump out. No better than those fast lube places that bs people they need shit they don’t.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Once a year on all vehicles. Don't drive much so it works out to 1,200 to 3,000 miles depending on which vehicle. I'm wondering if I can go 2 years with the synthetics I use. Still have to take them in annually for damn state inspection tho, so might as well let them change the oil too.
    From what I understand the problem isn't so much the oil, but the acidic compounds that eventually form that determine the 1 year max interval recommendation.

Never change oil at 10k. Some engines, even Toyotas, have bit the dust because of 7000 plus mile oil changes.

The information out there is what it is…and y’all do what you want. When a mechanic pops the valve cover on an engine that regularly had 7500k oil changes and it’s sludged up (pump was fine) I believe that over factory recommended service. Gotta remember the industry lies to keep you coming in for service.

In all trucks I had, I changed my diff and Bruce Jenner fluid every 40k. I always had zero issues once higher mileage was reached.

Again, y’all do what you want. I don’t believe the lies these manufacturers and dealers pump out. No better than those fast lube places that bs people they need shit they don’t.
    lol @ "even Toyotas" as if they're magic . I always get a kick out of peoples' ignorant blanket praise for that brand. The reality is most vehicles sold in the last 20 years are going to last as long as you choose to maintain them. Even corporate parts bin cars like the old Saturns are going 300k+ with basic regular maintenance.

Sludge isn't necessarily a factor of time. Did a heads/cam upgrade way back when on a guy's car, and I nearly refused the job because I pulled the valve covers and found thick sludge. Thick, purple sludge. Called him up and he freaked out. "I change the oil religiously at 3k using only Royal Purple!" The problem is he was using RP41, which is a racing blend without all the detergents. I cleaned it out, and he switched to an API certified "street" blend with no further problems.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Truth. Not long after I inherited my dad's Durango, I ran over a large screw in the parking lot at work on a weekend. Could not BUDGE the lug nuts - I even stood on the lug wrench, and I weigh 300lb. Had to call roadside assistance, and that dude had to use a breakbar with a four foot pipe over the handle plus all his weight to get enough leverage. Discount Tire somewhere in far south Austin did that one.
    Dang it all.

I have a one ton F 350..

Had a new set (4) of rear tires put on at tire shop.

Went to put snow tires on (4 or 5 yrs ago?)....My Snap On 1/2" air gun would not budge lug nuts. (gun has 450lbs of "OFF")

I weighed over 250lbs at the time.

I used a FOUR FOOT CHEATER BAR on my 4 Way Lug Wrench (with jack stand supporting the wrench) to loosen the blame lug nuts!

FOUR FEET X 250+LBS? = over 1,000lbs of TORQUE!

I have added an IR 1/2" air gun to my bag of tricks. 1100lbs of "OFF".

I have (working all over this once great Nation) had my oil drain plug (on several different vehicles) stripped by "lube monkeys"...and had to install oversize drain plugs... :50cal:

A teen ager should be able to change the oil in a car without RUINING the oil pan!:rocket:

Attachments

• future back stop.jpg
      future back stop.jpg
      192.9 KB · Views: 35

Me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2021
    Austin
    PVB71280_IC.jpg

I'm sure they make a Chevy kit too but this is the first image that came up for me.

The screwdriver through the filter trick can work sometimes (assuming there's more space than OP's situation) but if it doesn't then you have two problems: stuck filter AND a hole in it.

Top Bottom