robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Same. Hand tight only. Spin down until it touches, then ½ to ¾ turn more.
    That's what I do. I do ALL the oil changes on our cars - seen too many messed up by quickie places. I've used this guy for years - you have to get the size that fits a large or a small filter, but it's worked flawlessly - just put a 3/8" socket wrench on it.
    1665769088803.png

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    best-oil-filter-wrench-tekton-review.jpg
    If clearance for leverage allows this is the style I use to crush it and get the dang thing off.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I preferred to do maintenance on my automobiles when I was younger. It isn't 'fun' after you reach 70+.
    It is tougher.

And there is less that you can do today unless you have an expensive computer to help diagnose. The OBD scanners only help so much.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Had this same problem with my Tahoe last month. I loaned my Tahoe to my girlfriend a few months ago so she could drag a trailer. She had my oil changed as a thank you.

Last month it was time, and I couldn't get it off. Used the old screwdriver trick and more. Due to my lack of equipment, I had to get it towed to my mechanic. He got it off and I had a full tuneup done while he had it.

What a pain. I've never had one I couldn't get off before.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    On a more serious note, my g/f had an OLD Toyota Hi-Lux back in the late 70’s.

We had to drag it into town with a chain and have a mechanic remove what was left of the filter with the biggest pair of water-pump pliers I’ve ever seen!

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Few bucks? What is your shop charging you and what would it cost you to do it? When it comes to diesel oil changes, shops around here want $200 minimum. I can do it for $50. That's a huge chunk of change. Lots of ammo money. And I can dispose of the oil at any local auto-parts store in the same containers I bought the oil in.
    Plus the oil change is easier on my diesel truck because it is so much higher, I don't need to jack it up like my car. LOL
    Local shop is just over $100. Well worth it to me plus they're reasonable on fuel filters too.

PS I'm one of the guys that changes it when the truck tells me to and ignore the 3,500 mile sticker they always put on. Even pulling heavy and driving like a jackass they both go about 7,500 miles between changes.

No, I've never done an oil analysis. Some guys do and find they can go much further between changes but I figure the truck telling me is good enough.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Local shop is just over $100. Well worth it to me plus they're reasonable on fuel filters too.

PS I'm one of the guys that changes it when the truck tells me to and ignore the 3,500 mile sticker they always put on. Even pulling heavy and driving like a jackass they both go about 7,500 miles between changes.

No, I've never done an oil analysis. Some guys do and find they can go much further between changes but I figure the truck telling me is good enough.
    I never wait that long. 6k with full synthetic is my limit. Oil changes are cheap investments.

Top Bottom