• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I bought a used vehicle from a recent widow (mother of my neighbor).

An ‘05 Chevy Trailblazer with about 140k on it. Garage kept and very nice shape for the year.

When I bought it, I knew that the oil pressure gauge fluctuated when the engine was warm and you came to a complete stop. It would drop to zero, bounce back up to 40, drop halfway down, drop all the way down, then bounce back up to 40, etc. i’ve been down that road before, and figured it was the oil pressure sending unit. I took a gamble.

I ordered the sending unit, and the special socket tool, off Amazon. It came in a couple of days ago. I decided to replace the sending unit and do an oil-change at the same time. Sticker on the inside of the window indicated it was about time so I thought I’d knock it all at the same time.

Within five minutes of getting the vehicle up on ramps, I had the sending unit replaced.

Drained the oil. Now I’m only 10 minutes into the job, and ready to remove the filter. Four different oil filter wrenches, a vice grip chain type included, and I have yet to budge the filter after 45 minutes of grunting, cursing, and contorting! The only reason I didn’t just break down and drive a screwdriver through it is because there wasn’t any room to do it!

Yes, I finally got the blasted thing off and replaced. As soon as I get finished and cleaned up, I’m thinking about taking a baseball bat to town and visiting that quickie lube place. What in the hell are these guys thinking?

Updated to add that I just took the vehicle on a 20 mile road trip, and the oil-pressure sending unit replacement seems to have done the trick.
    Guns International

Last edited:

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Well I’m glad you got it done.

The ball bat probably isn’t outta line. Tire shops can get overzealous with lug nut tightening too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That's funny. We have 2 guys torque to oe specs and sign off. I can probably rattle off every manufacturer and model torque specs from memory. The independent shops usually use the 3 uga dugga method.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    1. Always loosen the filter before draining the oil just in case you can't get it off.
    2. Lube the oring and threads
    3. Don't over tighten
    4. If it doesn't come loose drive a long screw driver threw it and use two hands or a breaker bar.
    5. Have a beer.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    1. Always loosen the filter before draining the oil just in case you can't get it off.
    2. Lube the oring and threads
    3. Don't over tighten
    4. If it doesn't come loose drive a long screw driver threw it and use two hands or a breaker bar.
    5. Have a beer.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    1. Good idea (How do you “loosen it” if you can’t get it off?)
    2. I always do - didn’t install this one
    3. I don’t (see #2)
    4. I explained that was not an option due to
    space limitations
    5. Gout ended my highly-competitive
    beer-drinking career. I now drink gin,
    and I did!

Still, good general guidelines!

Last edited:

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    6lejweb3kpw31.jpg

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    It’s a solid engine if it gets regular maintenance. 200K or more easy!
    That’s what I am hoping and the reason I picked it up. It runs like a sewing machine!

I put high-mileage Castile GTX syn-blend in it. I’ll change it at 5k intervals (on the 5’s).

According to the family of the previous owner, the oil was changed at 3000 mile intervals, and it made a trip to the Chevy dealer once a year for routine maintenance.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Tire shops can get overzealous with lug nut tightening too.

Truth. Not long after I inherited my dad's Durango, I ran over a large screw in the parking lot at work on a weekend. Could not BUDGE the lug nuts - I even stood on the lug wrench, and I weigh 300lb. Had to call roadside assistance, and that dude had to use a breakbar with a four foot pipe over the handle plus all his weight to get enough leverage. Discount Tire somewhere in far south Austin did that one.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    That’s what I am hoping and the reason I picked it up. It runs like a sewing machine!

I put high-mileage Castile GTX syn-blend in it. I’ll change it at 5k intervals (on the 5’s).

According to the family of the previous owner, the oil was changed at 3000 mile intervals, and it made a trip to the Chevy dealer once a year for routine maintenance.
    Drivetrain in that rig is solid. Flush the tranny and radiator if they haven’t been serviced in a while and you should be golden for another 50-80K

Top Bottom