Capitol Armory ad

straw purchases. my view from behind the counter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bob barker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Houston
    As a FFL, I don't care how many guns you buy (except that I have to fill out ANOTHER form and send it to both my local law doggies and the BATFErs) if you buy two or more pistols within seven days. My opinion of that, or in fact any gun law in light of the clear language of the 2nd and 10th Amendments, and of the clear and often-stated opinions of those who wrote 'em, is that you can have, carry, store, tote around, buy, sell, and give away anydamnthing you want. Period. We are Americans, and that is all the reason anyone needs to have (or not have) anything they want.

However, we don't live in that America (or by those rules). We live in the America that has decided that the law means whatever the folks who are good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it people like them enough to vote them into office..decides...that it means.

And since I want to play the gun game, I have to play by the rules. As of now, the rules say I can't sell to a "straw buyer." However, the "other" rules (enforced by the race baiters/poverty pimps/looters/moochers) say that I can't "discriminate" on the basis of (fill in annoyingly accurate stereotype here). So, the easy solution is to call the ATF and describe what is going on. They don't bloody well care. They, as evidenced by Fast and Furious, WANT guns in the hands of illegals/gang bangers/druggies/moochers/looters/poverty pimps/etc. so they can use the "guns" to further their political agenda.

Personally, I think...more guns, less crime. Professionally, I am required to follow rules that I don't agree with, that are poorly enforced (and then only against gun dealers and honest, if mistaken, people and not the people or situations that would be the logical targets of such rules).

Go figure.

That said, if you think a person must have to have a "need" to buy one, two, or twenty guns of ANY kind, please lick my taint. My purchases are none of your business, and your little opinions are not welcome in light of that pesky 2nd Amendment...thus you have no need to use your month for "talking." You make a squishy ashtray, a poor doorstop, and an annoying chair warmer. You are of no other use, and any further discussion from your taint-licking hole is a waste of time. Cordially, drop dead.

Alex

God Bless You.. Best post I have ever read!! Explains everything I wanted to say but from a first person perspective.
    Thanks!
    DK Firearms

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Bluntly put - it ain't none of your business. I've had to fill out "multiple purchase" forms more than once, simply because a certain set of guns caught my eye. It ain't about "need" - if I'm a law-abiding citizen, you have no say in how many guns I buy at one time. Period.

Now...I realize the above sounds harsh - please do NOT take it personally. I said it that way to emphasize the point I'm trying to make - that it's my choice to spend my money however I wish. Having said that, I also realize that there ARE folks out there doing "straw buys" - and where you KNOW it's happening, I'm all for stopping 'em. Just be careful - some of 'em may be doing so at the direction of federal agents....

Very rarely do I heartily agree with anything you say, but this is gold. Well said redneck.

Braveheart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Texas
    Who cares what they need...if they're legally able to purchase the firearm and you know everything is 100% legit and can afford it let them.
    No offense, but I get irritated by the attitude some people like you have. I don't have any problems with someone doing their job and being in compliance with the law. I've seen people buy several rifles at once, hell I seen someone buy 3 rifles and two hand guns before. I've seen people buy 1000-2000 rounds of ammo at once. It does not mean they're doing something illegal.

However, coming up with presumptions and judgments before you even meet the person and denying them sale for no other reason because you don't like them, or stupid gut feelings is just wrong. Best example would be a personal one, I'm own many firearms, i often shop at local sporting good stores and always look at the gun section. I've worked in law enforcement for 2 years, I'm working on a criminal justice degree, I carry a security clearance and never have been in trouble with the law in my life. Hell I don't even have traffic violations - my record is clean. I work for the DoD now.... I filled out my paperwork for a gun 100% correct and everything goes good. Then at the end of the transaction the sales person just terminates the sale. No reason what so ever, I ask for an explanation in a respectable way and he told me "I don't feel like selling you a gun anymore." At that point I'm fairly pissed, he has some smug ass look on his face and he things he is the damn king of the world. I ask him for the real reason and he never had the balls to actually tell me.

In all reality someone like him had no reason to terminate my sale, I'm legally able to purchase a weapon, the gun is for myself. I own 8 firearms all purchased within the past 2 years. Needless to say I rarely shop at that sporting goods store, I go to a small mom and pop gunsmiths store and just order what I want though them. Yeah I pay a bit more, but it is worth it to me. I rather be treated like a customer then a freaking criminal.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hell - I picked up 5 guns a coupla weeks ago....not unusual for me to get 2-3 at a time it seems....but tell me - if you're an LEO, there's no way they turned you down on a lark - although they're perfectly within their rights to do so. Methinks there was something else goin' on...

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Hell - I picked up 5 guns a coupla weeks ago....not unusual for me to get 2-3 at a time it seems....but tell me - if you're an LEO, there's no way they turned you down on a lark - although they're perfectly within their rights to do so. Methinks there was something else goin' on...

an ffl turned down an fbi field officer last month who tried to buy a pistol.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Good catch. I wouldn't trust a Fibbi either, since there are a lot of churches here in Texas (and possibly women holding babies) :patriot:

Now, your ATF goon would just be sending the guns to Mexico to be used to knock off Border Patrol agents, and Eric "My People" Holder says that is just A-OK

Alex

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I emphasize the word "needs", who needs to buy 3 aks or ars at once. The correct answer, Nobody.

are you a shill for the brady campaign? let me guess you voted obama in 08,right?
    wow.
    some people have saved money for what they want and buy while the price is right. its their right to do so and idiots like you don't need to treat law abiding citizens like criminals and with suspicion for exercising their constitutional rights.

kris lee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    are you a shill for the brady campaign? let me guess you voted obama in 08,right?
    wow.
    some people have saved money for what they want and buy while the price is right. its their right to do so and idiots like you don't need to treat law abiding citizens like criminals and with suspicion for exercising their constitutional rights.

+1 this

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think I'm the alleged shill, quisling, ashtray or whatever you wanna call me. Amazing how my being "ok" with certain gun regulations makes me some kind of god-damn benedict arnold ! I am not a lawmaker, nor have I ever in my life supported ANY anti-gun agenda. I vote when the times come around for what I believe in and that's what makes America great. I'm free to have an opinion and exercise all my rights under the constitution as well. I do regularly donate to the NRA and TSRA but I'm not currently a member of either. There a buy limits on so many items out there less important than guns, like ammo. All the guns in the world are useless without bullets. Every time there is a shortage, stores enact buy limits at their discretion. I've never heard of anyone telling the guy at the walmart or academy counter that he is a quisling or squishy ashtray because he is enforcing a store policy. I hope you guys actually get out and vote instead of wasting your energy on hostilities here. I have been contributing to this forum and its members for several years now and respect all members opinions regardless of how intensely I disagree. Ultimately, I'm not out there trying to stop anyone from doing shit, I'm not a gunstore employee, cop, lawyer or lawmaker just another native Texan with no dog in this fight.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    that comment you made made me cringe. you sounded like old bill ruger saying no law abiding citizen "needed" more than 10rds in a magazine. its a slippery slope once you're on it. sure you might not need to buy three or four rifles at once. but if you can afford it,why shouldn't you be able to?

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    Ive had FFl's give me the cold shoulder before, why I am not sure. Maybe they were having a bad day I don't know. But the bottom line is it doesnt hurt my feelings, I walk out with my money, and they in return loose a law-abiding customer with a spotless record. Let them sell to criminals of they want to, they'll be the ones with a criminal record after that. End of story.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I need 3.AR's, in fact I have them....actually, I need 4....why? Because there are 4 members in my household and we want to be able to shoot them all together. You still have a problem with that? I also need my 50 cal, because I love long range shooting and the.difference of having a 50 instead of a typical 308. In fact. I'm looking to buy a second one.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    that comment you made made me cringe. you sounded like old bill ruger saying no law abiding citizen "needed" more than 10rds in a magazine. its a slippery slope once you're on it. sure you might not need to buy three or four rifles at once. but if you can afford it,why shouldn't you be able to?

Hell - I thought he meant it in the same way that saying "no one needs a third cheeseburger".

No skin off my back. If I wanna buy three guns at a time, and someone tells me it looks suspicious or something - I'll tell 'em to go pound sand!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I think I'm the alleged shill, quisling, ashtray or whatever you wanna call me. Amazing how my being "ok" with certain gun regulations makes me some kind of god-damn benedict arnold ! I am not a lawmaker, nor have I ever in my life supported ANY anti-gun agenda. I vote when the times come around for what I believe in and that's what makes America great. I'm free to have an opinion and exercise all my rights under the constitution as well. I do regularly donate to the NRA and TSRA but I'm not currently a member of either. There a buy limits on so many items out there less important than guns, like ammo. All the guns in the world are useless without bullets. Every time there is a shortage, stores enact buy limits at their discretion. I've never heard of anyone telling the guy at the walmart or academy counter that he is a quisling or squishy ashtray because he is enforcing a store policy. I hope you guys actually get out and vote instead of wasting your energy on hostilities here. I have been contributing to this forum and its members for several years now and respect all members opinions regardless of how intensely I disagree. Ultimately, I'm not out there trying to stop anyone from doing shit, I'm not a gunstore employee, cop, lawyer or lawmaker just another native Texan with no dog in this fight.

Actually, you have a HUGE dog in this fight......and you sound like me 30 years ago. I was busy being "reasonable" and "prudent" - and damned near got my butt handed to me by those that use idiots such as I was to "front" their causes. You ever notice how every left-leaning liberal cause gets celebrated by the press, and conservatives are prosecuted for saluting the flag?!?? It's because "the left" DEMANDS their rights - and we tend to be happy with a small portion of ours.

You mention "ammo limits". Those are limits imposed by the retailers, often to ensure that they'll have enough for all their customers to have SOME ammo. I don't LIKE it, but I DO understand their position - and they are NOT doing it with the intent of restricting MY freedoms.

That's likely why the feelings run so deep on this subject - it's not up to you, me, or anyone else to "decide" how many guns we "need" at any given time. If we want them, it's our RIGHT to have whatever we can afford. If someone walked around my house they'd get the willies - because they're about everywhere you look....and so what? I've got at least two more coming in later this month - and likely 3-5 next month. Again - so what? I'm a law-abiding citizen of this country, have served in the Armed Forces in her defense and feel that any law-abiding citizen has the right to speak their mind.......as do I and others.

I don't normally jump straight down someone's throats - unless what they say is so contrary that I feel compelled to repudiate it in the strongest possible terms. When that happens, yeah - you can expect some singed tail feathers. Funny thing is - within a day or two, I've forgotten about it, unless someone wants to continue to take their same stand. Even then, there's seldom any real hard feelings - we simply disagree.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    There's really just 3 categories. Needs, Wants, and Desires. Everything in life can be put in one category.

Needs? There's only a few in life. Water and Food.

Wants? Now, we're talking. I might not ever NEED 4, 5, or 100 AR's. If I WANT them, by God, ain't nobody going to stop me.

Desires? Well, one day I hope to be like TRN. I desire a filled to capacity double door safe for each type of firearm I own, and two more for 1911's.

Top Bottom