Capitol Armory ad

straw purchases. my view from behind the counter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    Bluntly put - it ain't none of your business. I've had to fill out "multiple purchase" forms more than once, simply because a certain set of guns caught my eye. It ain't about "need" - if I'm a law-abiding citizen, you have no say in how many guns I buy at one time. Period.

Now...I realize the above sounds harsh - please do NOT take it personally. I said it that way to emphasize the point I'm trying to make - that it's my choice to spend my money however I wish. Having said that, I also realize that there ARE folks out there doing "straw buys" - and where you KNOW it's happening, I'm all for stopping 'em. Just be careful - some of 'em may be doing so at the direction of federal agents....

+1

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Just a curious question to those that would restrict sales to law abiding citizens:

Why would you place any limitations on purchases made by law abiding citizens, when it's painfully obvious that criminals who gain their weapons of choice face no restrictions?
    Your decision does indeed infringe on the "Liberty" of others.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    That said, if you think a person must have to have a "need" to buy one, two, or twenty guns of ANY kind, please lick my taint. My purchases are none of your business, and your little opinions are not welcome in light of that pesky 2nd Amendment...thus you have no need to use your month for "talking." You make a squishy ashtray, a poor doorstop, and an annoying chair warmer. You are of no other use, and any further discussion from your taint-licking hole is a waste of time. Cordially, drop dead.

Alex

While you and I are on the same side on this issue, this last piece of your statement went a bit above and beyond.
    Lets all try and remember that when things disintegrate into personal attacks, that the message often gets lost.

...and your statement before that last part was a really good message!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Interesting discussion. Here's my $0.02: You can't tell which customer at a gas station is an arsonist. Or which guy buying cutlery at WalMart is planning to stab his girlfriend. Yeah, if the buyer is blatantly screwy, you have to stop the sale. I remember a gun seller telling me about a customer that left as I was coming in that had admitted on his paperwork that he was a felon. When it was pointed out, he said, "Yeah, but I'm not a liar!" Another dealer told me he wouldn't sell to a guy that came in all upset and wanted to buy a gun and one bullet.

Ever watch the movie, "Shane"? (If you didn't, you should.) There's a discussion about guns and Shane (Alan Ladd) says, " A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."

Again, unless the customer is obviously out of whack, you really don't know what they're going to do with the gun. And, you are not the one responsible for their actions.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Ok, so maybe the concept of buy limits won't discourage straw purchases. I am guilty of wanting to buy 10/22s by the handful but never do. I wonder if everyone is as aggresive when walmart limits the number of boxes of ammo you can buy ? Are there discussions with management about the second amendment and constitutional rights ? Just the outpouring of opinions over a concept like purchase limits surprises me. The idea is to prevent an obvious starw purchaser from buying a dozen AKs or Ars at one time. The overall end result is the same, you get to purchase and own all of the guns you want to. People seem to be over-analyzing the idea when there are purchase limits on retail items everywhere you look. The second amendment does not guarantee a certain number of guns for any individual, just the right to possess. I agree with TXJack that a gun is simply a tool. I also appreciate the fact that people are still willing to fight for what they believe in, some more intellegently than others. All I have stated is that I am Ok with an idea that may reduce the number of guns going into the wrong hands.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    What a private retailer does in an effort to avoid having one person buy all their stock is one thing - we can vote our thoughts on that via the marketplace.

To restrict by force of law...that's another. May I suggest you go back, read the 2nd Amendment, and tell me where it says that ANY restriction is somehow acceptable?

Look....I get what you're saying - hell, 20-30 years ago I may have had similar thoughts, even. Thing is, those that would take ALL our guns will use any ruse possible to get us to accept ANY kind of regulation. I'm NOT playing their game any more. It's time that we defend OUR rights as vigorously as others do theirs.

I'm all for laws that STOP guns from going to the wrong folks - and welcome the chance to sit on a jury trying someone for straw purchases. But whether you want to buy 1 or 20 guns - that's not any of my business, nor is it anyone else's. Period. I've seen way too many examples of the Feds over-reaching with regards to gun laws - the ATF has used its' far-reaching arms to assault more than one citizen when they'd broken no federal law, and I'm tired of it.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Maybe this was not covered, and frankly there's too much crap in this thread to read it all. It would appear that some of you believe that placing a limit on how many guns a law-abiding citizen is allowed to purchase at a given time would deter straw purchasers. This way, law-abiding citizens will get the guns they want in the end, but just not all at once. Straw purchasers will also get all the guns they want, but not all at once. The end result is the same, just more regulation and red tape that we've all got to deal with.

TravRich

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Boerne
    "Shall not be Infringed" to me that means pretty much NO regulation I should be able to own what ever I want, be so a cannon,22lr, Ma-Deuce! And be able to purchase in quantity I see fit!

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    While you and I are on the same side on this issue, this last piece of your statement went a bit above and beyond.
    Lets all try and remember that when things disintegrate into personal attacks, that the message often gets lost.

Compromise is unacceptable. That is what gave us NFA, CGA68, and the toothless waste of time FOPA (and the Hughes Amendment). Those who promote compromise on fundamental rights are painfully, willfully misguided at best and outright evil at worst. I will not get in the boxcar, thanks, my family has entirely too much personal experience with such concepts.

In deference to those who get shorts wadded up easily due to colorful language, perhaps we can use the classic term "Quisling" in order to refer to those who advocate "reasonable restrictions" as "oh, look, another comment from a modern Vidkun Quisling..."

"Quislings like "one gun a month" plans"

"Quislings think you don't need a Modern Sporting Rifle"

"Quislings think that TWO guns are too many"

Alex

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Compromise is unacceptable. That is what gave us NFA, CGA68, and the toothless waste of time FOPA (and the Hughes Amendment). Those who promote compromise on fundamental rights are painfully, willfully misguided at best and outright evil at worst. I will not get in the boxcar, thanks, my family has entirely too much personal experience with such concepts.

Confused now. Exactly what part of "Don't make it personal" equates to compromise? I'm not giving up one single inch on my views! Your assumption that my civility somehow means that I will let myself and my beliefs get walked all over is flawed to the core!

In deference to those who get shorts wadded up easily due to colorful language, perhaps we can use the classic term "Quisling" in order to refer to those who advocate "reasonable restrictions" as "oh, look, another comment from a modern Vidkun Quisling..."

I could care less about so called "colorful language". If you've ever heard me speak in person, you know I've got a filthier mouth than Satan!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Quisling is synonymous for "traitor" and it's a personal tag that is bound to create hard feelings amongst our members. Please chill out so we don't get this thread locked up.

I agree with the stand "NO COMPROMISE" . I resigned as an NRA member twice over their giving ground in years past. They no longer compromise. They don't give ground and they don't back up. They stand firm against any and all threats to our liberty. The NRA keeps Shumer, Feinstein, Pelosi, Biden and Obama at bay.

You guys talk big and I listened to all of this so I have the right to ask.............
    Are you members of the NRA?
    Are you registered to vote?
    These are fair questions and I'd like to know how serious you are about defending our rights under the Constitution?
    It's time to shxt or get off the pot!

Where do you stand?

Flash

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Are you members of the NRA? YES - Lifetime
    Are you registered to vote? YES

Unfortunately, I'm in one of those 16(?) counties that is under investigation for having to many registered voters for the total population of eligible age. I can assure, I have no aliases and I'm not dead. I will be voting.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    1 Are you members of the NRA?
    2 Are you registered to vote?
    3 These are fair questions and I'd like to know how serious you are about defending our rights under the Constitution?
    4 It's time to shxt or get off the pot!

5 Where do you stand?

1. Benefactor member, AAMOF....

2. Yep!

3. I think my posts speak to that....<G>

4. Pass the toilet paper!

5. Right on top of the dung heap of those that would "give in to reasonable restrictions". Wanna be sure they can't git up again....

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I am a registered voter. Honestly, I have not always believed that my vote counted. I don't think we have a choice, now.

Except for two brief periods, been an NRA member since my teen years (1962 or 63).

I am a staunch defender of our rights on this computer and in my daily life. NO compromises! I do not back down or back off of liberals and they do NOT like to deal with me.

Toilet paper, please.....snicker.

I stand by the Constitution, The Bill Of Rights and the US flag. Don't think so? Just push it.

=================================================================================

Well..................IT GOT PRETTY FRIGGIN' QUIET IN HERE!

Poop or exit the potty, please.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    HELLO! HELLO! HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!

Holy crap guys, where are all the tough talking defenders of the Second Amendment? It's like a ghost town in here and the echo is amazing!

Time to weigh in..............Defenders Of Liberty.

Flash

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    The NRA is run by people more interested in raising money than protecting any rights, much less the Second Amendment. And yes, I am a member. Patron/life, if we are using a measuring stick, as well as a 11 discipline TC. And GOA, JFPO, and TSRA (life); I teach $10 CHL classes, raise money for various "political" causes, and talk to my congresscritters on a regular basis.

Quislings suck.

Alex

Top Bottom