• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    how is walking down the street minding your own business trying to tie up cops?? Are you the type that blames rape victims because they wear short skirts? And i think the subtitled texts are an attempt at a joke and not seriously what they were saying at least I hope.

Jesus Christ you are an idiot for making such an absurd accusation of V-Tach. You should do some homework before going on the attack, Scooter.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Having been "in" to photography for most of my life, I have talked to quite a few Cops. After 911 I was questioned for the crime of taking pictures of tall buildings downtown on a Sunday morning. For standing in the grass to take a wedding shot at a famous fountain downtown. For having other kids in the frame at a public beach and a fun park. For taking a picture of a kid after asking his mom if her child was part of the group I was there to photograph. Been kicked out of a few malls for pictures. They have that right. I used to carry printed half page copies of many laws concerning photographers and gave many to LE officers. I've never been arrested because its not against the law to take pictures in public places or places where you have permission to work. The police only wanted to know what was up. Not one ever seemed perturbed when I politely gave them copies of the laws they sadly didn't know about, but stupidly tried to make up. Trust me if the tear sheet you gave cites code, they will look it up out in the car. Just be nice, don't lecture, If you want to assert some right, don't cram it in their face and tell them to study it! Wait until the end of the contact and offer it as a help. From 20+ years as a cop, trust me they don't really want to know anything from or about you. Just be calm and pretend to listen. Most of the show is for the dumbas* that called in the first place anyhow. No I did not waste a second watching a youtube video. So if my comments don't apply, get on with your life. Its not worth getting upset about.

Last edited:

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Is he around a government highlighted sensitive area. I know my dad has been run off some public property for taking photos of a bridge that spans port waters.

CAShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2014
    On what grounds? Is it illegal to transport a rifle in a case in Ca now days? If it's legal they have no right to mess with him and if they do he can make a case for harassment. Until then they have their first amendment right to ask anything they want and he has the right to walk along.

There are valid reasons to watch over cops and insure they are living up to their oaths and abiding by the laws they chose to enforce. Calling 911 on yourself or being an ass in any other way to get some LubeTube hits isn't it.

If they are told it was a firearm, or say who ever called stated they had seen a firearm then there is this in the law, and again they have to know it is a firearm.

In order to determine whether a firearm is loaded, peace officers are authorized
    to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his or her person or in a vehicle
    while in any public place, on any public street or in any prohibited area of an
    unincorporated territory. Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm
    pursuant to these provisions is, in itself, grounds for arrest . (Pen . Code, § 25850,
    subd . (b) .)

But since the question was never answered they had nothing to go on and could not proceed is my guess.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Personally, if I think the officer is that fixated and concerned (potentially with facts that I may be unaware of), I'll just tell him what's in the case. Usually when I answer a cops questions, that's the end of the encounter. Playing this stupid power trip game, and recording it for others to celebrate, is pointless IMO. I'm all for protecting my rights and I'm all for the police trying to stop crime in my community. I'm not sure both of those things can't exist in the same world.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    every time one of these threads is posted:

bootlickers.jpg

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Personally, if I think the officer is that fixated and concerned (potentially with facts that I may be unaware of), I'll just tell him what's in the case. Usually when I answer a cops questions, that's the end of the encounter. Playing this stupid power trip game, and recording it for others to celebrate, is pointless IMO. I'm all for protecting my rights and I'm all for the police trying to stop crime in my community. I'm not sure both of those things can't exist in the same world.
    well said.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Well, if he asked me what was in the case, I'd tell him, "Lawful private property" and ask if I'm being detained or arrested.

As far as everyone saying that refusing to answer questions can prolong an encounter, it really depends:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    A camera and an attitude? That's the world I live in now?

Assholes with or without badges best leave me alone. Courtesy begets courtesy.
    Rudeness gets what it deserves.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    it all depends on if he had a permit for the tripod or not
    I think you may be joking but, just in case you didn't know, there are plenty of places where (the equivalent of, if not actually) a permit is required to use a tripod.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Photographers take a lot of crap and some are getting pretty fed up. Yes, this video is not a good one because it's edited to leave out stuff that perhaps made the photographer look not so good. Unfortunately, the instances where photographers are seriously intimidated are often undocumented so, just like with legally carrying firearms, some folks will feel compelled to educate the public by creating situations that they're ready to document. This frequently makes the guys who are in the right, legally and ethically, look like asshats.

However, if you study the subject in depth, you'll find that photographers (especially street photographers, after the style of Cartier-Bresson) are subjected to ridiculous amounts of official bullying.

Bottom line - I really don't know what to think of the video. I can see several sides to this issue.

If folks want to know more, start with the PINAC "About Us" page, read some of the links in the text, and you may gain an appreciation of some of the crap that photographers have gone through. As an aside, PINAC has morphed into more cop-bashing and less photographer-supporting over the years. I think that's what happens when bitterness sets in and it makes the site less useful and less persuasive than it was back in the day when it was just one guy fighting against a specific injustice perpetrated against him.

Anyway, the link I suggested as a starting point is: https://photographyisnotacrime.com/about-us/

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    As an aside, PINAC has morphed into more cop-bashing and less photographer-supporting over the years.
    It's becoming part of our zeitgeist. People are becoming more fed up with government, and the cops catch a lot of that because they are the enforcers of said government. It's often a bit unfair as they are just as much a victim of the government as the rest of us.

Top Bottom