• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2014
    Videographer with his tripod in a case questioned because police think it contains a gun.

Tries to walk away but officer just about begs for a chat.

What would you do? Would you give up your 4th Amendment Rights & privacy & show them what you have inside a case? Or stand your ground on principal and just not answer questions.

Guns International

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Heavily edited, and sorry, I don't trust the subtitled text he added that the officers supposedly said when conversing with each other.........

Just another guy wanting to tie up law enforcement with needless bullshit to try and get hits on a YouTube video........

jmho...

CAShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2014
    Heavily edited, and sorry, I don't trust the subtitled text he added that the officers supposedly said when conversing with each other.........

Just another guy wanting to tie up law enforcement with needless bullshit to try and get hits on a YouTube video........

jmho...

how is walking down the street minding your own business trying to tie up cops?? Are you the type that blames rape victims because they wear short skirts? And i think the subtitled texts are an attempt at a joke and not seriously what they were saying at least I hope.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Can't open youtube here but, in the simple scenario posited (photographer with tripod in case) I'd just show them the case. I have preserved my right to refuse questioning and am not seeing the negative vs. a refusal which will lead to -at best- an unfortunate loss of time.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    He's not walking down the street minding his own business. Obvious setup to document the encounter with police. Like he stated, he likes to film public officials.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Honestly, I would probably just answer the question and be on my way, but I think there is a larger problem in the use of the 911 system by folks who want to call the cops on things like this and local/state governments as a whole to not attempt to educate people on how to use it. I understand that LE is siding with caution in these cases, but is there a better way overall? I'm not claiming to have an answer to this, but it seems ridiculous that anybody can call in and claim a person is a danger when in fact they could be well within the law and their right to be doing what they are doing.

I understand, This guy was trying to get a response, but that doesn't mean it can't and won't happen to any of us as well.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Not taking the Cops or the dude's side.......

We don't know what he was doing to precipitate the contact by LE.....He doesn't show everything leading up to the event...I wonder why?

I see people walking by LE all the time carrying things, unless you act suspiciously and try to get LE involved to film them, it's highly doubtful imho, he was just tooling along minding is own business not wanting to film an encounter......

Are there dick cops? Sure.....are there dicks out there trying to get attention to film cops, Sure.......attention whores....

jmho and yours may vary, but neither are worth arguing over......

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Just a coincidental encounter with LEO and just coincidence that he has film rolling. HMMMMMM..... I wouldn't be surprised if half of these attention whores call 911 on themselves so they can get footage.

If this were a really a coincidental event; I'd probably tell him a tripod and ask why he's interested. Even if it's a rifle; its not illegal to carry a cased rifle in most places.

CAShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2014
    Even if it's a rifle; its not illegal to carry a cased rifle in most places.

This was in California, so if it was a rifle, and he admitted it, the police would have detained, searched the riffle, ran the serial #'rs, checked ID most likely (want it back? give me your ID) made sure it was not loaded.... yada yada yada

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Just a coincidental encounter with LEO and just coincidence that he has film rolling. HMMMMMM..... I wouldn't be surprised if half of these attention whores call 911 on themselves so they can get footage.

If this were a really a coincidental event; I'd probably tell him a tripod and ask why he's interested. Even if it's a rifle; its not illegal to carry a cased rifle in most places.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Most people I see out there are rather oblivious.

CAShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2014
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Most people I see out there are rather oblivious.

There is nothing smarter than having your phone ready and hit record every time you talk to LEO.

Better to be safe (like being armed) than sorry!

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Yes, all cops are bad.....

Never, ever call one for help, they will just harass or kill you....

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    This was in California, so if it was a rifle, and he admitted it, the police would have detained, searched the riffle, ran the serial #'rs, checked ID most likely (want it back? give me your ID) made sure it was not loaded.... yada yada yada

On what grounds? Is it illegal to transport a rifle in a case in Ca now days? If it's legal they have no right to mess with him and if they do he can make a case for harassment. Until then they have their first amendment right to ask anything they want and he has the right to walk along.

There are valid reasons to watch over cops and insure they are living up to their oaths and abiding by the laws they chose to enforce. Calling 911 on yourself or being an ass in any other way to get some LubeTube hits isn't it.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    There is nothing smarter than having your phone ready and hit record every time you talk to LEO.

Better to be safe (like being armed) than sorry!

Not sure what that had to do with my post about people being oblivious to their surrounding. Most folks out there don't even notice one another, let alone a tripod case. I never made a case for or against carrying a phone.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I apologize for my above post.....

I was getting the feeling the OP was expecting a cop bash thread.......

While there are and have been videos of cops being complete dicks and themselves violating citizen's rights (and worse) that rile me up.....

This wasn't one of them....

Top Bottom