• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I would guess it would all come down to what you want out of pistol (X). Every firearm from every manufacturer will have its' positives and negatives. Just like any pickup, television, or pair of socks.

I prefer hammer fired, metal framed semi autos, but I can also appreciate a few of the polymer wonders on the market. Except for Glocks. They just feel wrong in my hand and often have a shotgun pattern on the target when done firing. But there are others, like the later models of the M&P series that are much better for my hand. Or the Ruger SR 9 series, that fit my hand and shooting style almost perfectly. The fact that the frame mimicked the 1911 didn't hurt any. Some love the Canik series of pistols, and from what some have told me, it's for good reason. An instructor I know put close 40k rounds through his. My experience wasn't as positive. I'll try them again in the future and see if it changes.

I'm not a back-n-forth, rotate my carry type, so I'm not sure how the manual of arms works such situations. I need to dredge the local lakes to find mine when I want to take a different one out. I have one sidearm with replenishment, carried in the same spot, using the same equipment, everyday, for as long as I've been doing so. It'll change in the future, when I retire this one, and start it over again.
    Gun Zone Deals

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    As a lifetime carrier of 1911's or Browning HP getting old is catching up with me and I bought a Glock 43X to carry for the lighter weight. I've put at least 1K rounds thru it and I'm still not comfortable with it. Even with an aftermarket trigger I don't know if I will ever get used to the striker fired trigger. Not my first rodeo with plastic as I have a KelTec P-40 which is a handful and a Walter PPS in .40 that never grew on me.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I started with Glocks then bought a 1911. I have no trouble transitioning between the different styles in general.

It's more about your mindset than the tool like most things in life.

Most geezers hate polymer before they even hold one so of course they don't operate them well.

Paul2036

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2023
    Houston
    I started with Glocks then bought a 1911. I have no trouble transitioning between the different styles in general.

It's more about your mindset than the tool like most things in life.

Most geezers hate polymer before they even hold one so of course they don't operate them well.

I’m one of those old geezers that still likes to drive manual transmission and shoot steel framed, but not going to ignore the weight advantages of plastics.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    First Glock I ever shot I put the first round dead center. Then damn near dropped it because I was not expecting the "sprong" like an old bb spring gun.
    Still prefer steel. If I had to carry, I would go plastic.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One thing I don't see discussed as much is how the frame material can change the feel of how the gun shoots. For example, we all hear about how heavier frames generally soak up recoil a bit more and can make a gun feel easier to shoot. On the opposite side, in some guns, the polymer frame can also absorb recoil (due to the flex) in such a way that it dampens the recoil impulse.

One example of this is the HK45. Those guns tend to shoot noticeably softer than the average production 5" 1911, believe it or not. How much of this is due to the polymer recoil buffer on the guiderod vs. the frame is anyone's guess but, the fact remains they shoot surprisingly soft.

I say all that to say, I wouldn't discount any gun purely off the frame material. Some might surprise you. That said, hard to beat a 40-50oz steel gun for ease of shooting. ;)

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If you are going to jump into the polymer pool and this is a fun-gun, not a daily carry replacement and you don't mind spending a bit for a nice gun - the PDP is a lot more ergonomic than the Glock. Nicest polymer striker gun trigger you are going to get out of the box. Not tuned 1911 good, but better than any low end 1911 on the market. Ergonomics for a human hand, not Austrian ubermench. I've owned and shot many of the mainstream polymer guns on the market. I like the Smith & Wesson M&P's either with an Apex trigger, or the older curved trigger. The new "flat" triggers in them shot weird. The Walther PDP is more ergonomic than the M&P, and I like them more. The M&P is slimmer. The PDP is lighter. PDP has better grip texture.

IF Safariland would've gotten their shit together and put out a proper 6000 series level 3 holster for the PDP, I'd be toting one today. As it is, the two guns I use now are a Glock 34 and a Glock 19. Both perform better for me than the latest generation of M&P do, but a PDP would probably beat the Glocks - I'm just not in a financial position to make another big leap in both work and regular carry guns at this point.

If you go the PDP route - its worth noting they have different frames now - they have the standard PDP, and the PDP-F which has a reduced grip circumference, along with reduced weight recoil springs that were originally designed with female shooters in mind, but that PDP-F grip is very nice in the hand and is sculpted differently than the original PDP compact frame. Both are worth a serious look. PDP slides can be swapped among all of the various models, as the guns are intended to be modular across the various slide / frame packages. Magazines are compatable with the PPQ M2 (button mag release vs paddle) so if you cannot find PDP marked mags, know that PPQ mags for button release work just fine.

Paul2036

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2023
    Houston
    If you are going to jump into the polymer pool and this is a fun-gun, not a daily carry replacement and you don't mind spending a bit for a nice gun - the PDP is a lot more ergonomic than the Glock. Nicest polymer striker gun trigger you are going to get out of the box. Not tuned 1911 good, but better than any low end 1911 on the market. Ergonomics for a human hand, not Austrian ubermench. I've owned and shot many of the mainstream polymer guns on the market. I like the Smith & Wesson M&P's either with an Apex trigger, or the older curved trigger. The new "flat" triggers in them shot weird. The Walther PDP is more ergonomic than the M&P, and I like them more. The M&P is slimmer. The PDP is lighter. PDP has better grip texture.

IF Safariland would've gotten their shit together and put out a proper 6000 series level 3 holster for the PDP, I'd be toting one today. As it is, the two guns I use now are a Glock 34 and a Glock 19. Both perform better for me than the latest generation of M&P do, but a PDP would probably beat the Glocks - I'm just not in a financial position to make another big leap in both work and regular carry guns at this point.

If you go the PDP route - its worth noting they have different frames now - they have the standard PDP, and the PDP-F which has a reduced grip circumference, along with reduced weight recoil springs that were originally designed with female shooters in mind, but that PDP-F grip is very nice in the hand and is sculpted differently than the original PDP compact frame. Both are worth a serious look. PDP slides can be swapped among all of the various models, as the guns are intended to be modular across the various slide / frame packages. Magazines are compatable with the PPQ M2 (button mag release vs paddle) so if you cannot find PDP marked mags, know that PPQ mags for button release work just fine.

I’m not the type to go with the most popular or mainstream, and only considered Glock because friends use and recommend them. The Walther brand was my top pick, and the pdpf was one of the models of interest, however it’s still a little large and heavy to conceal for my small stature. What would be comparable to a Glock 43x?

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I’m not the type to go with the most popular or mainstream, and only considered Glock because friends use and recommend them. The Walther brand was my top pick, and the pdpf was one of the models of interest, however it’s still a little large and heavy to conceal for my small stature. What would be comparable to a Glock 43x?

Length & grip length maybe - but its way thicker if talking the 3.5" barrel, and the 4" version is a fat Glock 19. The downside to a PDP is they're chunky - they're concealable - especially if you're a bigger guy, but they're thick like a brick. Depending on your preferred carry mode, they can be relatively easy to hide, or really a pain in the butt.

This was my PDP 4" Compact

edc_walther_3.jpg

This is the holster I carried it in, AIWB

az3jgCI.jpg

I'm 6'4" and when I had the PDP I was around 280-90ish lbs.

aoEYcbm.jpg

I don't usually have a problem concealing big guns. I carried a Beretta 92 w/ a light on it for a while before trading that 92 for my current duty pistol - a Glock 34 (long slide 9mm)

If you're a thin guy and you like wearing stuff that fits a bit huggier, PDP isn't going to conceal the best. If you're a bigger guy or you like loose shirts it can be done easy enough.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Since Walther was mentioned, as far as they go, there's the CCP. It's very close in size to the G43X. Only significant difference is it's ~3.6oz heavier. Very comfortable gun though, ergonomic grip, and decent to shoot. Here's a comparison of the two.

Paul2036

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2023
    Houston
    Length & grip length maybe - but its way thicker if talking the 3.5" barrel, and the 4" version is a fat Glock 19. The downside to a PDP is they're chunky - they're concealable - especially if you're a bigger guy, but they're thick like a brick. Depending on your preferred carry mode, they can be relatively easy to hide, or really a pain in the butt.

This was my PDP 4" Compact

View attachment 415466

This is the holster I carried it in, AIWB

az3jgCI.jpg

I'm 6'4" and when I had the PDP I was around 280-90ish lbs.

aoEYcbm.jpg

I don't usually have a problem concealing big guns. I carried a Beretta 92 w/ a light on it for a while before trading that 92 for my current duty pistol - a Glock 34 (long slide 9mm)

If you're a thin guy and you like wearing stuff that fits a bit huggier, PDP isn't going to conceal the best. If you're a bigger guy or you like loose shirts it can be done easy enough.

Very nice. I appreciate the detailed info. Looks like it won’t be a comfortable carry for my stature, but might work as an off body carry.

Paul2036

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2023
    Houston
    Since Walther was mentioned, as far as they go, there's the CCP. It's very close in size to the G43X. Only significant difference is it's ~3.6oz heavier. Very comfortable gun though, ergonomic grip, and decent to shoot. Here's a comparison of the two.

Def looks comparable to the 43x. Not, Walther, but the Hellcat seems like another good carry choice.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Def looks comparable to the 43x. Not, Walther, but the Hellcat seems like another good carry choice.

One thing to note on those small guns - they have some bite to them. A lot snappier and less pleasant to shoot than larger guns. Even wtih comfortable grips they want bark. My wife just sold off her Glock 43X in favor of a Canik TP9 sub compact - its a lot more pleasant to shoot, with a shorter grip, similar barrel length, only its thicker. Trigger is waaay nicer too - almost as nice as a Walther trigger.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    One thing to note on those small guns - they have some bite to them. A lot snappier and less pleasant to shoot than larger guns. Even wtih comfortable grips they want bark. My wife just sold off her Glock 43X in favor of a Canik TP9 sub compact - its a lot more pleasant to shoot, with a shorter grip, similar barrel length, only its thicker. Trigger is waaay nicer too - almost as nice as a Walther trigger.

Good point. My little KelTec PF9 pocket pistol has some serious kick because it has so little mass. One of my friends said shooting it was a lot like catching a sledgehammer. After about 50 rounds on the range you're pretty much done taking the abuse.

Top Bottom