Gun Zone Deals

STEAK THREAD! How do you eat your steaks?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Optional way of cooking: Build a good fire using oak, burns hot, let its simmer down till all you have is the coals. Get your steak on a long fork, bend down and blow the gray dust off the coals and drop you steak on them...char and flip, serve...cooking time about 3-5 min max. Now we are REALLY eating.
    The man knows what he's talking about.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm generally with you guys on most things but you need to lighten up on the "no sauce, ever" rhetoric.

First, Heinz 57 can rescue a piece of well-done shoe leather from Dennys and it's the very best thing to put on french fries. (Alternate french fry dressing: mix ketchup with enough very coarse-ground pepper to make a thick paste; it's yummy.)

Second, a good Steak Au Poivre will definitely convince anyone that sometimes steaks work beautifully with sauces.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Just glad no one has mentioned that they like their steak "Texas style" and then said raw or rare.

Ignorant Hollywood types have perpetuated that myth for years. Texas style means burnt (or it originally did, only way to kill all the worms).

Regarding the sauce, if I am paying more than $30 for a served steak and I feel it needs sauce, I will send it back. If it's a cheap piece of meat, then I expect I may need to help it a bit. I see nothing wrong with a little sauce on a hamburger steak, or one from a cheap place like Denny's or one of the feed trough buffets.

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    We ate a ton of steak growing up. Unfortunately it was always old stringy cow that was about to die. We sold all the good stuff.

I always preferred deer, quail or dove (and of course bacon). I wasn't crazy about steak until I got a little older and had the good stuff! LOL

One of my grandpas always did his well done because of his experience with screw worms back in the day.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The cut and quality of the steak does make a huge difference in how you dress it. For a good aged Prime cut, you don't mess with it. It'll have more flavor than a sauce could touch. For a cheap select or standard grade steak, you pretty much have to do something. Personally I try to fake it by tenderizing with something acidic (lemon or lime works), salting the daylights out of it, and letting it sit for a couple hours before firing it. Right before it goes on the fire I wash the bulk of the salt, pat dry, pepper it up and go. Wife eats those with steak sauce, sometimes I will too if it is too bad. Huge difference in taste and texture between $3.99/lb. and $10.49/lb.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    The man knows what he's talking about.
    Thank you, but I cannot take all the credit for that. Sir Edmund Hillary (1st guy to climb Mt Everest). Did a book report on him when I was in the 5th grade and have been eating steaks off the coals ever since.

Just glad no one has mentioned that they like their steak "Texas style" and then said raw or rare.

Ignorant Hollywood types have perpetuated that myth for years. Texas style means burnt (or it originally did, only way to kill all the worms).

Regarding the sauce, if I am paying more than $30 for a served steak and I feel it needs sauce, I will send it back. If it's a cheap piece of meat, then I expect I may need to help it a bit. I see nothing wrong with a little sauce on a hamburger steak, or one from a cheap place like Denny's or one of the feed trough buffets.
    This guy knows what he is talking about

The cut and quality of the steak does make a huge difference in how you dress it. For a good aged Prime cut, you don't mess with it. It'll have more flavor than a sauce could touch. For a cheap select or standard grade steak, you pretty much have to do something. Personally I try to fake it by tenderizing with something acidic (lemon or lime works), salting the daylights out of it, and letting it sit for a couple hours before firing it. Right before it goes on the fire I wash the bulk of the salt, pat dry, pepper it up and go. Wife eats those with steak sauce, sometimes I will too if it is too bad. Huge difference in taste and texture between $3.99/lb. and $10.49/lb.

Prime: Sorry I will pass, I want a steak with some mouth chew, I want MEAT, not butter. Prime is what we call 'expense account steak'

Tenderize: Lime juice + Tequila + salt/pepper is all you need

Keep your top cuts (except Ribeye w/lip), no better cut or taste or chew than Skirt steak and Flank comes in next*

TIP: Many stores sell their meats at as low as half price the day before the expiration date. This is your BEST BUY in the meat counter, its AGED!

* Chew: Yes Skirt and Flank are TUFF pieces of meat, hence till the Mexican invasion in the US about the only place you could get it was in S Texas, I grew up eating it in fact. Tenderize as above and throw it on the grille or coals, cook to rare or med rare, go beyond that and just nail it to the bottom of your cowboy boot. Serve PROPERLY sliced, thin and ACROSS the meat grain. NOTE this is the orginial Fajita meat (Skirt).

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Now if you want to cook a special occasion steak and live in The Woodlands area, check out Hubbell & Hudson The raw piece of meat will set you back more than what you will pay for a steak meal in most restaurants. They do know how to select, age, cut and sell an outstanding piece of meat. Last one I had from there was just over $45 for a 20 oz bone in ribeye, but damn it was good! (With the other add ons, drink, etc we would have saved money by eating at Flemings, Perry's, Kirbys, etc. but sometimes that is not as much fun.(plus we would have to had put on clothes:eek:))

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I make a "man salad" with skirt steak sliced against the grain like fajitas and some fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden. No lettuce. Maybe a touch of pepper or fresh, thick grated Parmesan. No sauce needed.

Water boarding is just baptizing terrorists with freedom.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I make a "man salad" with skirt steak sliced against the grain like fajitas and some fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden. No lettuce. Maybe a touch of pepper or fresh, thick grated Parmesan. No sauce needed.

YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if you want to cook a special occasion steak and live in The Woodlands area, check out Hubbell & Hudson The raw piece of meat will set you back more than what you will pay for a steak meal in most restaurants. They do know how to select, age, cut and sell an outstanding piece of meat. Last one I had from there was just over $45 for a 20 oz bone in ribeye, but damn it was good! (With the other add ons, drink, etc we would have saved money by eating at Flemings, Perry's, Kirbys, etc. but sometimes that is not as much fun.(plus we would have to had put on clothes:eek:))
    Wife took me out to Ruth Chris and we BOTH got sick after eating there. Never eaten there before and I felt the steak tasted different, not especially good for a near $50 buck steak. Wife thought same, brought it up to our waiter and he wrote it off to their aging and unique cooking process along with a haute comment that we must not eat at fine steak houses very often or we would know quality meat. I did mention that most of my adult life I have lived on an expense acct and had eaten in better joints that this one all over the world...Have not eaten at a Ruths ever again...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Wife took me out to Ruth Chris and we BOTH got sick after...
    Wandering off topic, but it's amazing to me how steak places can change over time. I once loved a churrascaria in a city I frequently visited outside Texas. I went there on business probably once a year. The place was owned and staffed by South Americans, the bar was old-fashioned polished wood and brass (very homey and never crowded), and the food was great.

The last time I went there, the hostess could have been a supermodel. She was wearing a formal gown slit way too high and spoke with a Russian accent so thick I could barely understand her. The entire staff was Russian or Eastern European; some of the language coming from the kitchen was, shall we say, interesting. Traffic in the restaurant was way down but most of the customers were beefy guys with crooked noses and plenty of interesting tattoos peeking out from under their cuffs or the gold chains around their necks. They spent most of their time yakking on their cells, ignoring the too-young, too-gorgeous, and too-bored women they had brought with them for window dressing. By early evening, the bar was packed with various versions of the hostess who first greeted me and a steady stream of male traffic in and out, usually arriving alone and leaving accompanied. Despite that, the supply of truly knockout women at the bar never seemed to drop below that of a distinctly target-rich environment (though, come to think of it, I'm not sure who were the targets and who was doing the hunting.)

On top of all that, the prices had doubled but the food and service had gone to hell.

I think I learned two lessons from that experience. First, if you need it and you're in a midsized midwestern city, you grab ahold of whatever money laundering opportunities present themselves. Second, don't trust churrascarias run by Russians.

Top Bottom