• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Aside from marking it closed, the thread originator has the ability to close it also (I think).

Well, as I look back on some threads I can't find anything that says the originator can close it. Oh well.

You can close your own threads. I do on everything I have sold here.

TreyG is correct, you can do both. Look thru some of the old listing and you will see some that are both marked sold and are also locked, both done by the OP.

See Thread Rules: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/guns-sale/52519-mark-your-thread-sold-wtt-wtb-wts.html

Correct me me if I am wrong, but I don't believe Tapatalk users have the ability to close their own threads. I recall someone mentioning that in the past and there are a lot of folks who use it exclusively here.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Correct me me if I am wrong, but I don't believe Tapatalk users have the ability to close their own threads. I recall someone mentioning that in the past and there are a lot of folks who use it exclusively here.

Neither does Chrome.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Keep in mind that anyone selling a gun is going to ask for the highest amount they think they can get. You can always deal downward; you can't raise the price during negotiation.

If a seller is genuinely interested in selling, then they will do their homework and post a fair price (and probably set a lower price in their mind that they would be willing to settle for, given the right trade or quick enough sale.) I really don't see too many overpriced guns on here, but we've all seen them posted somewhere online. And, yeah, add-ons rarely increase the value significantly.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Keep in mind that anyone selling a gun is going to ask for the highest amount they think they can get. You can always deal downward; you can't raise the price during negotiation.

If a seller is genuinely interested in selling, then they will do their homework and post a fair price (and probably set a lower price in their mind that they would be willing to settle for, given the right trade or quick enough sale.) I really don't see too many overpriced guns on here, but we've all seen them posted somewhere online. And, yeah, add-ons rarely increase the value significantly.

100% agree.

Why do some consider a counter offer a personal attack on them, their mother and the constitution of the US?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think this thread is silly. I'm not sure why anyone would get so worked up over someone else's selling price when you can just move on or offer a lower price.

Hell, I've seen some guns that I think are overpriced where many people would gladly pay that price for them (O/U shotguns for example).

Maybe just forget about it and move on with life. Lots more important stuff to get upset about than someone's selling price.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think this thread is silly. I'm not sure why anyone would get so worked up over someone else's selling price when you can just move on or offer a lower price.

Hell, I've seen some guns that I think are overpriced where many people would gladly pay that price for them (O/U shotguns for example).

Maybe just forget about it and move on with life. Lots more important stuff to get upset about than someone's selling price.
    Now im upset with your post. Time to start a new rant.

It is like this in any "hobby". Some guy with a Corvette that they made 10,000 of thinks his is special because it is his. So he asks a stupid price for it.

Also I think some actually enjoy showing their stuff and are only sorta interested in selling it. Same with the back and forth dickering. Some enjoy it.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish

And there ya go ... a nugget of wisdom.

Even though the OPs rant was about pricing above what FMV might be due to wear or abuse, some intersting perspectives have surfaced beyond that scope.

The "moving on" part is key ... from BOTH sides of a transaction.

If the price is more than you think is FMV, either move on or make an offer.
    If the offer is less than you think is FMV, say "thanks but no thanks" and move on.

An offer is rarely an idictment of one's manhood, IQ, mother's promiscuity or similarity to a body orifice.
    Its just an offer ....

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Price don't matter. Perfect sell is both sides are happy.
    That is a weak argument because its price that creates the happiness. We can all agree the price can vary and vary a lot.

I asked a buddy of mine recently to take a look at my 1911 and let me know when it was made. I stopped by a few days later to pick it up and talk with him and some other guns. He told me it was made in 1919 and asked if I wanted to sell it? I told him no, I had committed to donating it. He told me its worth x for tax purposes. He then asked why donate, why not sell? I said it was issued to my father when he went into the Army in '34, carried thru WWII in the Pacific, and went with him to Korea and Vietnam, then handed to me and I carried it until I retired in "94. He said that will raise the price significantly, it has provenance.

I can Google 1911, 1919 US issue and find plenty for sale, enough to provide a market value, but the provenance comes into play. How muck is that worth? $1 or $100 I don't know, but when I set down with the museum folks I will find out as this is donation.

Or Tom Selleck's 1911 he used on Magnum PI. It only shoots blanks and as a 1911 its worth is not a whole lot, but the provenance that came with it made it a valuable gun: NRA Museums:

It sold at auction recently for $37,500, the lady that bought it did so as a present for her husbands birthday, but he did think it was valuable to him and now its in the NRA museum...

Does price matter, yes it does, you cannot walk away happy unless the price is right, but after the sale you can say to someone, well the price did not matter.

I look at the struggles of folks on forums trying to sell some gun they clearly paid too much for and now want to unload it and cannot or will not take the financial hit. Pictures do not always tell the story, holding it in your hand speaks loudly. And be careful what you posts, it can come back to haunt you. One fellow had an AR I was interested in, but I pressed him on what seemed to be a low round count for a gun he had had for sometime. Search feature is your friend. I found posts of when he bought it, his mods and his range time with rd counts. It did not add up or even close and when we stood face to face and I told him what I had found on the forum. He hung his head and said I really need the money. I ended up not buying it not because of that but he had Duracoated it, I suspect to cover up a lot of range time scratches, but the color he used was horrible. I told I would not say anything about our meeting, wished him luck. He did change the round count on his post saying it was a typo and apologized if anyone was mislead. He sent me a PM and told me he sold it and they guy that bought it did so because of the COLOR, LOL

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    My argument is for a sale in general. It does not matter what you are selling. If you are happy with the sale price, higher or lower than other places then it is a good sale. I have bought things before that were more than could be had elsewhere but if you figure in the hassle factor then it was a good price. If I have to drive 50 miles to save $10 then why bother. My time is not cheap and the hassle factor is quite high. Don't read too much into it because it is very general.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom